Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Glowing Red Eyes

jagary

For many years I have heard stories of the Glowing Red Eyes here in Maine, and they have been seen by many who have lived in the Northern Woods of the state.

While your out and about in these woods during the night, they say the eyes will appear in front of you, glowing a dark ruby red, and as soon as you shine a light in the direction of the eyes they seem to just vanish into thin air.

To this very day the stories are still talked about, and still no one has found out who or what belongs to the red eyes.

An opinion I have on these eyes suggest that they are of another dimension, and peering into our reality from theirs.

Just to think about something being able to look at us from some other world is creepy enough, let alone having them glowing red.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jagary

• Black Hound

• ~TheBigK~

• SilentCreeper83

Maybe they have pink eye. Be nice to the pink eye demon when you're out and about, bring some visine with you! ;)

Some who say they have seen the bigfoot, say it has glowing red eyes. Animals eyes glow when light hits them, humans do not, not saying that they are glowing animal eyes, but they definitely are not human.

I actually live in Maine and I have never heard of this.

Although, I am in the southern part of the state.

I think it's probly just animal eyes reflecting in the light, but who knows?

Someone should setup some camera's or something and check it out.

I am going to be investigating this penomina in coming months.

Many fols around Maine have not heard many of the old timers stories, and pobably won't since many of the old timers are now gone, and their stories are being forgotten.

I have many more stories like this one, and I am trying to keep them alive, so younger generations will be able to hear them, perhaps understanding how stories back in the day were told.

To many stories like the glowing red eyes, big foot sighting, and the Maine Black Panther has fallen to the side, and the younger generations haven't a clue to what your talking about.

I was told these stories back in the late 60's into the 70's.

These eyes are told to glow on their own without any source of light in the area, and when light is introduced, the eyes vanish.

I lived in Northern Maine (Caribou) until I moved to Boston for school some months ago. I'm aware of the "red eyes" stories - they used to scare the hell out of me. Really, though, animals eyes can produce all sorts of freakish colors when light hits them at night.

I wish someone would write a (good) guide to Northern Maine folklore. There is some stuff worth studying up there.

I worked in the archives in the library at the University of Maine at Presque Isle for a while. There's a hoard of first-hand folklore (tape recorded and transcribed) in the special collections room in the basement (ask Nancy or Gretchen at the desk for the key). If you dig, undoubtedly you can find more about the "disembodied red eyes" thing there.

Edited by 04736

This topic has drove me crazy since I've seen them.

The stories of the Glowing Red Eyes is only one of many stories that have come out of those woods, and I am going to be starting up a wep-page soon that deals with the stories, folklore, and old timers stories of the Northern Woods of Maine.

Not sure when I'll be up and running but soon I hope.

I have many stories that can be told and hopefully bring back the old stories that have been almost forgotten.

It's just a pothead running around. The red eyes means hes baked as hell. Nothing to be worried about just give offer it food and the munchies should make it come to you.

very interesting, i sure do hope you can get your webpage up and running with others ppls accounts, would be interested in reading about it

Maybe they have pink eye. Be nice to the pink eye demon when you're out and about, bring some visine with you! ;)

LMFAO!!!!! That is sooo funnny!!!

LMFAO!!!!! That is sooo funnny!!!

Bunches of stories about "red eyes" or "red eye creatures" in various parts of the world good luck in your future plans. :yes:

You know what is really fascinating about this? Glowing red eyes seem to be a staple of urban legends and also of other things... From the purely red eye legends like this to satan to every monster in folklore they are represented. They also turn up in stories about Bigoot, aliens (There is a subset of alien sightings of hooded beings with red eyes), to the so-called "Shadow people" of ghost fame, they seem to pop up in more than a few different places.

Obviously there is a reason for this - one of which is that "Red Eyes" are usually associated with scary and evil beings and therefore will work their way into these types of stories. But I do have to wonder if there is more linking these things than just cultural ideas of colors...