Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Zecharia Sitchin - Monkeys R Us - An Analysis

Magikman

Just for laughs, lets dig a little deeper into the credibility of the ‘famous’ Zecharia Sitchin.(Lori’s mentor and teacher of all things cosmic) Firstly, a brief critique of his writings;

“Sitchin, along with Erich von Däniken and Immanuel Velikovsky, comprise the holy trinity of pseudoscientific mythmakers regarding ancient history. Each begins with the assumption that ancient myths are not myths but historical and scientific texts. Sitchin's claim to fame is announcing that he alone correctly reads ancient Sumerian clay tablets. All other scholars have misread these tablets which, according to Sitchin, reveal that gods from another planet (Niburu, which orbits our Sun every 3,600 years) arrived on Earth some 450,000 years ago and created humans by some genetic engineering with female apes. No other scientist has discovered that these descendents of gods blew themselves up with nuclear weapons some 4,000 years ago. Sitchin stands alone, on nobody's shoulders, as a scholar nonpareil. He alone can look at a Sumerian tablet and see that it depicts a man being subjected to radiation. He alone knows how to correctly translate ancient terms allowing him to discover such things as that the ancients made rockets.

Sitchin, like Velikovsky, presents himself as erudite and scholarly. Both are very knowledgeable of ancient myths and both are nearly scientifically illiterate. Like von Däniken and Velikovsky, Sitchin weaves a compelling and entertaining story out of facts, misrepresentations, fictions, speculations, misquotes and mistranslations. Each begins with their beliefs about ancient visitors from other worlds and then proceeds to fit facts and fictions to their basic hypotheses. Each is a master at ignoring inconvenient facts, making mysteries where there were none before and offering their alien hypotheses to solve the mysteries. Their works read like bad-science fiction rather than good science. Nonetheless, they are very attractive to those who love a good mystery and are ignorant of or indifferent to the nature and limitations of scientific research.

Sitchin's ideas have been appropriated by Raël, another wise man, who has started his own religion (Raëilian Religion) around the idea that we humans are the result of a DNA experiment by ancient visitors from outer space. Raël has even written a channeled book, dictated to him by extraterrestrials. It is called The Final Message. We can only hope it is.”

Secondly, it also appears that Sitchin has no viable academic credentials to support his supposed expertise in the deciphering of ancient Sumerian tablets, or even a scholarly understanding of his own (Jewish) language!

"I believe that Mr. Sitchin has done some kind of work in the ancient languages (I have never seen academic credentials in the form of degrees or transcripts), but some of the mistakes he makes are at so basic a level of language knowledge that I am uncertain if he in fact knows the languages he says he does. I'm guessing that with Hebrew, for example, Mr. Sitchin (being Jewish) can sight-read the language but doesn't understand Biblical Hebrew grammar or semantics (much like many English readers don't have a real grasp of the mechanics of English grammar). Additionally, nearly everything Mr. Sitchin discusses with respect to other languages (Akkadian and Sumerian) can be gained from numerous secondary sources - and then merely supplying one's own "word meanings" and interpretations. I have seen little that convinces me that Mr. Sitchin is a language "expert". I say this because of Mr. Sitchin's mistakes, and because he rarely interacts with scholarly articles pertaining to any linguistic material in the texts he uses. Unfortunately, there are even points he just makes up. Either (1) He doesn't know the languages he says he does; (2) He is very careless - the mistakes are obvious to someone with training in these ancient languages); or (3) He just doesn't want readers to know what's really going on in these texts. None of these options are very flattering. In short, I don't quite know what to think about why he misses so much and resorts to making things up in places."

Next: King Kong takes a mighty fall!  

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Magikman

• Mr-X

Its interesting to note that he doesn’t even mention any acquired academic degrees or even any sort of educational background on his own website. For a more detailed breakdown of his astronomical blunders, click on the links I provide below;

http://www.ramtops.demon.co.uk/siren.html

http://www.lauralee.com/vanflan.htm

There definitely is a mystery here, but its not one of the origin of man. The mystery is how anyone with a fully functional and rational mind can subscribe to this pabulum. It may make for a good sci-fi story, but not one that stretches for eight books. The practitioners of fabricated pseudo-history target unenlightened and poorly educated people desperate for answers they have neither the time or inclination to find on their own. It is as insidious as brain-washing, for its effect is to take the believer away from reality and alters their ability to reason independently. This of course, is just my opinion, and I did it without any jokes or sarcastic remarks! :P

Hey Lori, I'm wondering if your stream of consciousness has any fish in it. ;D

MAGIKMAN

Late Update:  I finally found a source that lists Sitchins academic accomplishments:

He attended the London School of Economics and Political Science and graduated from the University of London, majoring in economic history. Definitely all the requirements needed to become an expert in ancient history, biology, physics, astronomy, not to mention his expertise in deciphering Sumerian tablets and the ancient Hebrew language. :-/

magikman,

i will admit that Sitchin might be a fraud. However if Sumerian mythology does not speak of alien contact and if there are people out there who can prove that these inscriptions do not mean what Sitchin says they mean, then good on them for sharing with the world that he is full of himself.

However even if this is the case you cannot forget about the other cultures of the world who again in there "mythology" also speak of alien contact. For instance the South American cultures, the Maya, Aztec, Olmecs and Inca etc all tell stories of beings that came from the heavens which they called the Sky Gods and helped the human race during great struggle. These beings taught these people math, Astronomy and science and much more. In Peru they found skulls that showed that these people performed brain surgery all those years back how did they have the knowledge to do this ? The Nazca lines of Peru in which you can only see from the air are phenomenal in the sense that they are huge and nearly impossible to do now. Even the being that is on the mountain and has one hand in the air looks like an alien. Were these people trying to communicate with the Skygods? I deleted the bad information but all the rest still stands.

The Dogons from Mali again believe that aliens visited them from a planet near the star Sirius. And they place alot of there beliefs on this star and the beings that came from there. These people even knew that Sirius A had a double star which is now called Sirius B that you can not see with the naked eye. These so called primitive people even knew the period that Sirius B takes to orbit around Sirius A Fifty years to be exact. How did these so called primitive people know this. They believe that these beings came to Earth in an ark and that they taught them about civilisation and that they were also responsible for the Egyptian and Sumer civilisations. Read the Sirius Mystery.

Aboriginals of Australia, the oldest known culture known today also speak of Sky Gods that came from the heavens to Earth. They say that they came here to impart the culture of Earths primitive inhabitants. They still teach this today to the younger Aboriginals they call it the dreamtime. They have also found carvings from the Aboriginal people that show a UFO and some sort of being next to it.

magikman the reason that i had to reply to this subject is because i had to show you that there are other cultures in the world who have a similar belief system to the Sumerians. However these cultures are so far away from eachother how can this be. We have the Americas, Asia, Africa and Australia could this all just be a coincidence? or were they in contact with eachother and shared there beliefs with one another, i dont think so.

If the Sumerian texts do not mean what Sitchin says they mean it does not matter because there are other cultures who are still around today who can tell you that it did happen.

Look up these sites:

www.internetezy.com.au/~mj129/spacealiensaustralia.html  

for the Aboriginal alien contact

www.geocities.com/Area51/6683/ancient-nazca.html

For the nazca lines, have a look at the Astronaut

"the sons of Gods saw the daughters of man, and

found them fair" Genesis

X

Mr. X,

While you are free to respond to any post you choose without explanation, you don't have to 'point out' those things you believe I have no knowledge off. Although older than you, I still maintain most of my cognitive senses, which seems to be a problem for you. We have already gone over most of this ground once before in your thread UFO's in Historical Artwork which you might want to reread to stimulate your memory. I was young and gullible once and while I began to have some suspicions as to the absurdity of many of the examples you bring up,( the Nazca lines, you can't be serious, are you?) it really wasn't until college that I seriously began to investigate these claims (a huge resource of available research material was extremely helpful). It has yet to be shown that you are even interested in acquiring any useful knowledge, so there would be no point in speculating on the results of your education. As a response to your overall question, I again refer you back to my last post to you in the The Great Library thread. Prove to me that you are capable of finding complete answers on your own. I'll give you an easy one, The Nazca Lines. I'm talking about concrete, scientific findings about the Nazca Lines, not a rehash of some pathetic 'alien' reasoning. For every 10,000 nonsensical hits explaining the Lines, there's only one that deals with 'the truth'. There's one critical fact you are ignoring and/or overlooking, if you find it I'll know you are serious and I'll consider providing you with competent, logical, and intelligent answers to some of your other 'mysteries'. Otherwise, I see no rational in wasting my time responding to someone who has impaired capabilities.

"Damn - I've run out of witty and/or profound 'quotes' to counter with"  -  me :D

MAGIKMAN

magikman,

i will admit that the lines that look like spaceship runways at Nazca are not that at all. I just got to exited and i wrote bleep. And i will do further research on the Nasca lines and start a new thread on this forum. Reminds me of doing a school research paper.

I dont believe that they were made by aliens but by someone much smarter than the people that lived there at that present time. Who this was i will get back to you on that one. However the intelligence that these people had to do this phenomenal piece of artwork surpassed their present day people in intelligence.

I will not write any longer because i hurt my fingers playing sport but i will get back to you magikman.

"you shall wait and see"

X

Mr. X,

Very good. I'll help you along a little, one of your statements is true and the other almost completely false. Simplicity is the key to your investigation.

I notice you understand my other point precisely. Why wouldn't you want to treat everything you see or hear of some perceived importance like a research paper? Do you not have the desire to be as well informed as possible? Its the position of many conspiricy theorists that people are far to willing to believe what their governments tell them, but it relies entirely on peoples gullibility and suspicions just as much to sell their 'truth'. Individual agendas of phony con men are no different than evil governments, they just realize a greater monetary reward because they are the only beneficiaries to their scams.

I hope you recover soon. I'm interested in seeing what you have found.

"I've been waiting all my life to 'see' what other people perceive to be true"

MAGIKMAN

Here's a link for anyone who would like to read an essay written by someone who dissects Sitchin's first book The Twelfth Planet. He does a marvelous job in pointing out Sitchin's error's in translations, mis-interpetations, and out right fabrication of historical texts and documents. Its a facinating study of the origins of a brilliantly conceived scam. Enjoy. :D

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/8148/hafernik.html

MAGIKMAN

• 1 month later...

magikman and others,

Here is an interesting site from the scientist of harvard university.

www.conjecture.com/hybrid.htm

X

X,

Once again, all you've been able to display is your gullability for the absurd and the propensity for failing to investigate any 'claims'. I however, do not suffer your shortcomings. Here is a link to Harvards faculty listing in the Biological Anthropology Dept.;

Frame.html'>http://www.wjh.harvard.edu/anthro/NewSite/People/FacultyBioFrame/FacultyBio

Frame.html

Strange, no listing for a Dr. Martha Rabinowitz.  Breaking it down even further, here's the link to the Molecular Anthropology Dept.;

http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~steiper/molanth.html

Still no Dr. Martha Rabinowitz. Hmmmm.... maybe she's on sabatical. Lets see if she turns up when you type her name into the main Harvard University search engine for locating all faculty members;

http://www.wjh.harvard.edu/anthro/NewSite/People/Faculty/faculty.html

Nope. Maybe they fired her after giving that ridiculous interview. Doesn't do much for the credibility of the article, does it?

MAGIKMAN

* - There really is no limit to your cluelessness, is there?

• 5 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but just by accident I've found out that this website is a deliberate internet parody (spoof) of newspapers like The National Enquirer and Weekly World News. I guess Mr. X and I should have done a little bit more investigating. I put a lot of effort into disputing the professor's credentials. :P

Take a look at the website, it is quite hilarious;

http://www.conjecture.com/

Magikman