Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Teleportation Is Year's Biggest Breakthrough

Still Waters

Thanks to physics, and the truly bizarre quirks of quarks, those Star Trek style teleporters may be more than fiction.

A strange discovery by quantum physicists at the University of California Santa Barbara means that an object you can see in front of you may exist simultaneously in a parallel universe -- a multi-state condition that has scientists theorizing that teleportation or even time travel may be much more than just the plaything of science fiction writers.

Until this year, all human-made objects have moved according to the laws of classical mechanics, the rules governing ordinary objects. Toss a ball in the air and it falls back to Earth. Drop a coin from your roof and it falls into your yard. But back in March, a group of researchers designed a gadget that moves in ways that can only be described by quantum mechanics -- the set of rules that governs the behavior of tiny things like molecules, atoms, and subatomic particles.

And the implication -- that teleportation and even time travel may someday, somehow be a reality -- is so groundbreaking that Science magazine has labelled it the most significant scientific advance of 2010.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• trancelikestate

• user107026

• Mentalcase

• FlyingAngel

Manipulating macro objects by altering their quantum states. A lot of possibilities there.

Interesting indeed. See, I wonder whose millitary will be the first to get their hands on one. They could just quickly teleport a hit squad into the offices of any...oh i can't go on.

As long as it stops buttered toast hitting the floor butterside down, i'm all for it ;)

I'm not so sure that existing simultaneously in alternate realities equals actual travel. I think we exist in all our probable realities right here...and right now. Maybe they have found proof of this. Since we exist in all places right now it would only be a matter of focus to "time travel"...right? Isn't this how quantum particles work...they only change when consciousness observes them? Then that would make perfect sense. Any one else of the same thought?

STAR TREK TELOPORTATION IS A PHYSICAL IMPOSSIBILITY IT WILL NEVER BE POSSIBLE IT'S ABSURD TO EVEN MENTION IT

the idea of flying humans was absurd at one time. And actually there's good theory of how to transport physcial objects, were just not quite there scientifically yet but you see. If not I'm sure one of your ancestors will.

It would be so awsome to just teleport to your destination.

No traffic !

It would be so awsome to just teleport to your destination.

No traffic !

people would get so fat and lazy. Half of americans are already obese, walking to mcdonalds is the only exercise they get.

Cool article, very interesting to see what the science world has been up to this year! Next year should be promising as well!!

the idea of flying humans was absurd at one time. And actually there's good theory of how to transport physcial objects, were just not quite there scientifically yet but you see. If not I'm sure one of your ancestors will.

Teleporting living cells will remain an issue I think in this case but if they are ever successful in teleporting humans(alive :P)then many things would come into

question like concepts like soul and ghosts(coz no soul no ghost :P ).

Personally I don't think that this would ever be possible.

:geek:B)^_^

Edit; All of the video segments from that interview are on the upper right side of the main page for this video. Interesting interview, as always with Kaku. Edited by Mentalcase

flying humans what kind of drugs are you on i want some lol

A little more in-depth explanation of the experiment can be found here,

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/330/6011/1604.short

although you have to regester free to read it, but it's still not a through explanation of the engineering methods of teleportation. From my previous understanding, what is teleported is information of the quantum state(s) of the object using entanglement. I don't quite understand how this new experiment relates to this.

Another method is to gather all the quantum information of a person's brain, upload this information into a quantum computer, and send this information to another quantum computer on Mars, say, download it into an alive dummy human body, and when that body wakes up after this process it would have that person's mind. Then it could do what it needs to do on Mars, the process is reversed erasing the information from the dummy's mind, and that information downloaded back into the original person's brain, and that original person would have all the memories of the experiences of the dummy on Mars.

This way, all that would be needed is to place dummys and automated quantum computers on Mars, and we wouldn't have to wast time and energy physically traveling back and forth.

Time travel has not been invented in my lifetime, I would have come back by now with some winning lotto numbers.

I no its just movies but i dont think we should mess around with time travel. once we finished a moment in time we should leave it be. messing with time could cause a ripple in time like the movies show. it seems logical. I means its sound cool but we should be messing with things we shouldnt be messin with lol=D

Edited by delino98

Time travel has not been invented in my lifetime, I would have come back by now with some winning lotto numbers.

It doesn't work like that. Anything happened happened. If you can go back in time, you can only jump into a parallele universe and change the other "you"'s life.