Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cell phone vibration telepathy

Mantis914

I've had something happen a few times that was really kind of strange. A few times I've been reading or listening to the radio in my study which is across the house from my bedroom (approx. 40-50' away with 2 blind turns) and I hear my cellphone go off like it's in the study with me and also like its set on vibrate but muffled. It always startles me and when I get up to look for my phone, it's never in the room with me but usually in my bedroom and set to ring at a low level not vibrate (I hardly ever use the vibration setting). I'd have to say the strangest time was when I went on my quest to find my phone after hearing it in my study and it turned out the phone was in my car parked in my garage so it would be very difficult to hear it from there. The phone isn't anything special just an ordinary Razr. I don't use bluetooth or anything like that. I would say I am imagining it but everytime I hear that sound and retrieve my phone, there really is a missed call there or a voicemail. For voicemail, I have it set to beep a few times not vibrate. Anybody else have something strange like this happen with your phones out there?

Sorry, I posted this in the wrong catagory. Can it be moved?

Hi there, where would you like it moved to?

Now I don't know if this is an explanation however cell phone, wirelesss routers, wireless phones, microwaves and baby monitors all operate on the same 2.4 GHz frequency.

Thanks for the response. I'm not exactly sure what catagory this is supposed to be under. There is a microwave oven in the kitchen about 20' away but I'm not sure if that could be it. It sounds like it is coming from my room however it sounds muffled like a pillow is over it or something.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe you're so acquainted with the particular sound of your cellphone ringing that even just vaguely hearing it is enough to alert you.

I've also heard of people knowing their cellphones would ring a couple seconds before they did - maybe we're a lot more sensitive to electromagnetic radiation than we think?

When working at Pepsi , I had to keep my phone in my pocket ( broke too many on the belt clip ) , it was set on vibrate for 2 years.

It took a year away from Pepsi before I would stop feeling that vibration against my leg , even when at the Lake Jet Skiing.

I can not count how many times I reached down to grab a phone that was not there.And yes , sometimes it would have a message on it.( if it was there and did not vibrate , I would get messages sometimes a day late )

It is a habit thing , my mind was so used to feeling that thing go off all the time , that somehow different things would " trick " my mind into " feeling " a phone in my pocket . ( even if I had nothing on with pockets )......There were " trigger " objects that made this happen , not sure what they were....Got annoying sometimes.

It hasn't happened in a while now but those are some really awesome suggestions. I'm in no way claiming any psychic ability but it startled the crap out of me when it happened kind of like on a scary movie when there is a lull in the action and then the phone rings, that's how it will happen to me. I'll be reading and then suddenly hear the phone vibrating like its under a pile of pillows but in each case, no phone in my room. It's always elsewhere or in my car and with a missed call or voicemail.

i've never heard of a case like this. i do know that when a cell is close to a computer, you can actually hear some static when the phone vibrates, coming from the pc speakers. it sounds pretty cool none the less. maybe this is a sign that you're very attached to that cell?

i've never heard of a case like this. i do know that when a cell is close to a computer, you can actually hear some static when the phone vibrates, coming from the pc speakers. it sounds pretty cool none the less. maybe this is a sign that you're very attached to that cell?

I know what you mean! My cellphone wreaks havoc on the FM transmitter for my ipod in my car but it does sound pretty cool. It's pretty creepy when the other thing happens though especially when I search and search for the cell phone and it turns up in my car or elsewhere. It's funny that it's never happened to my iphone or any other phone I had before, only this one and it's just a simple Razr V3. I felt more attached to my iphone but that one went scuba diving in my fish tank when I decided to rest it on the lid for just a sec and the lid was not on right. Chalk that up as one expensive mistake... :(

I have something similar happen with my cell. I always have mine set on vibrate, so it may just be a case of a familiar sounds replaying. I'll constantly check my phone, thinking that I had heard or felt it vibrate. And most of the time it hasn't. However, seconds after checking for new messages, the phone really will vibrate. So I don't know, maybe it does have something to do with frequencies.

• Like 1

I have something similar happen with my cell. I always have mine set on vibrate, so it may just be a case of a familiar sounds replaying. I'll constantly check my phone, thinking that I had heard or felt it vibrate. And most of the time it hasn't. However, seconds after checking for new messages, the phone really will vibrate. So I don't know, maybe it does have something to do with frequencies.

Your post has been the closest to what I've experienced so far except I hardly ever use vibration mode.

Now that you mention it, maybe this is kind of like when some people say that every time they look at a clock it's always a specific time, for example, 11:11 or some other double digits. Would these experiences qualify as a kind of synchronicity?

I dunno but sometimes i feel my phone vibrate in my pocket but then i realize its not even there. i dunno but those frequencies may be messing with my thigh muscles because it always happens

• 2 weeks later...

guys i got the same thing , when i feel my phone vibrates and i look but see no call coming in i put it back in my pocket like most of you

but after a very short time somebody really calls

btw somephones vibrate when you hit it 2times like nokia 6700classic so it can also happen in your pocket but my phone hasnt got that option

This happens to me often. Apparently, it happens to a lot of people, enough to write an article about it

From USA Today

Phantom vibrations? Clickity Click Clack

I've experienced this before, vibrations when the phone isn't there. It's similar to the feeling I get from my wallet having to much crap in it and hurting my bum. Causing slight nerve damage.

Edited by Mentalcase

i can hear my cell phone in the house when i'm outside. i can also hear a woman eating custard in banff. ok no i can't hear the woman eating custard, but i do have a great sense of hearing, and i think that is all that is going on with the OP.

Man, you guys are sharp! I've never even heard of Phantom Vibration Syndrome. I've heard of Phantom Limb Syndrome but not with vibrationss. EMF discharges? I wonder if there is something in my room that is also receiving the signal? I do have some old phones in my room but they are for another carrier and deactivated and more than likely out of charge.

Chad, Nurhak, Melanie and Mentalcase, when a vibration occurs, do you all find your phones in a completely different location? It's so weird when that happens. Just curious...

I've done that before with my wallet also. Does that really cause nerve damage?

JGirl, I really hope that is the case, however, I've heard my cellphone vibrating and the sound emanating from my backpack (where I usually keep it) but then upon searching, its not there. I will get my house phone and call the cell number and not hear anything within the house. Upon searching my car, which was in the garage behind 2 doors, there it will be with 2 missed calls: mine and whoever called me prior to my search.

BTW, your skater avatar is a trip! LOL!

• 1 month later...

It's very similar to what happened to me the other day, was out and my cell phone was at home, unbeknown to me someone was calling me and my leg vibrated just as if a phone was there in the usual right hand pocket I keep it in, I checked my pocket and no phone, and 5 mins later the caller met me and confirmed they had called around that time.

Then my leg continued to vibrate in 9, 7 and 5 sec bursts, until it eventually increased after about 8 hours to constant vibration. When it ended that leg was exhausted completely, so much so I could barely walk with it.

Incidentally I never use the vibrate feature and never have on any phone.

As much as I don't see it as 'psychic' I always tend to check or unlock my phone a second or so before I get a text, admittedly not always but I have a habit of doing it. Now, I wonder if this could be due to myself being in-tune with the text-reply turnaround time with my friends or perhaps humans can be sensitive to electro-magnetic signals if exposed enough to them (like if you're used to ducking your head when entering a room - I realise this is a poor example but it's quite late in merry old England).

If anyone could shed some light I'd be very grateful

I've had something happen a few times that was really kind of strange. A few times I've been reading or listening to the radio in my study which is across the house from my bedroom (approx. 40-50' away with 2 blind turns) and I hear my cellphone go off like it's in the study with me and also like its set on vibrate but muffled. It always startles me and when I get up to look for my phone, it's never in the room with me but usually in my bedroom and set to ring at a low level not vibrate (I hardly ever use the vibration setting). I'd have to say the strangest time was when I went on my quest to find my phone after hearing it in my study and it turned out the phone was in my car parked in my garage so it would be very difficult to hear it from there. The phone isn't anything special just an ordinary Razr. I don't use bluetooth or anything like that. I would say I am imagining it but everytime I hear that sound and retrieve my phone, there really is a missed call there or a voicemail. For voicemail, I have it set to beep a few times not vibrate. Anybody else have something strange like this happen with your phones out there?

Something similar has happened to me many times. I will be thinking about someone then they will call right away and it would be the person I was thinking about. Also sometimes I will hear my phone ring but when I check no one called BUT really soon after I hear my "false" phone ring it actually rings. Weird stuff. I can't explain it either.

• 11 months later...

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but it seems like I know that certain people are calling me before my phone ever rings. It only seems to happen with people i am close to, or talk to a lot on the phone. It isn't even like i really know that they are calling, more like a thought popping into my head like "i wonder when mom is going to call", then 3 seconds later my mom will call. Seems pretty hard to grasp, but it has happened way too many times now for it to be a coincidence (or i should start buying lottery tickets). Does anyone know of any research that has been done on this subject? Maybe our brains are learning how to comprehend wireless signals on their own. Who knows, we may not need the phones in another 50 years, just communicate through the towers with our brains by putting a sensor on your head with a sim card in it.

" it would be hard to make this **** up."

I wonder if it is possible that you subconsiously recognized the frequencies and what happens when your phone rings enough times that even when you aren't near your phone you recognize that it ringing is what those frequencies mean. Almost like a subconscious pavlovian response? Even if your phone isn't in the same room, the waves it operates on permeate all airspace, so you'd still be exposed to those incoming frequencies and recognizing them.

That's my best explanation :)

I've had the phantom vibration thing too, and I've opened my phone just as a text or email comes in. Those last two could be attributed to a connection with the person sending as well.

There was also that one time back when I had an answering machine that I heard a message from my best friend that said "Hi Amber, Call me back I need to talk to you" and I immediately knew she was pregnant, though it wasn't something I would've been expecting to happen.

Edited by karmakazi

I wonder if it is possible that you subconsiously recognized the frequencies and what happens when your phone rings enough times that even when you aren't near your phone you recognize that it ringing is what those frequencies mean. Almost like a subconscious pavlovian response? Even if your phone isn't in the same room, the waves it operates on permeate all airspace, so you'd still be exposed to those incoming frequencies and recognizing them.

That's my best explanation :)

I've had the phantom vibration thing too, and I've opened my phone just as a text or email comes in. Those last two could be attributed to a connection with the person sending as well.

There was also that one time back when I had an answering machine that I heard a message from my best friend that said "Hi Amber, Call me back I need to talk to you" and I immediately knew she was pregnant, though it wasn't something I would've been expecting to happen.

That's an interesting theory! Who knows just how much wireless phones are really affecting us and how we are adapting to them. For the record, some people really aren't adapting well to them especially in traffic. I really believe (all) people have a sense that we are yet not aware of or can't access yet due to our natural skepticism. I've seen many times when a song is mentioned in a conversation and then, wow, its the next song played on the radio (not popular songs either!) and also many things also like sensing impending doom or even like the other thread of the sense of being watched.

It's funny you mention Pavlov, I wonder if that would curb people of cell phone use if every time it rang that they started slobbering... :P

That's an interesting theory! Who knows just how much wireless phones are really affecting us and how we are adapting to them. For the record, some people really aren't adapting well to them especially in traffic. I really believe (all) people have a sense that we are yet not aware of or can't access yet due to our natural skepticism. I've seen many times when a song is mentioned in a conversation and then, wow, its the next song played on the radio (not popular songs either!) and also many things also like sensing impending doom or even like the other thread of the sense of being watched.

It's funny you mention Pavlov, I wonder if that would curb people of cell phone use if every time it rang that they started slobbering... :P

I've had so many instances where I expect a certain song to come on the radio next and it does :) That's always fun, especially if it's a song I wanted to hear! I think we have senses that we're not entirely aware of too. It might even be something that can eventually be explained, like our more recent knowledge of pheromones and how they allow us to detect fear from others, among other things.

It would be pretty funny if cell phones started making us all slobber... hah!