Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Al Qaeda may have made contact in U.S. recently

DC09

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Intelligence found in Pakistan suggests that suspected al Qaeda operatives in that country contacted an individual or individuals in the United States in the past few months, according to two senior U.S. government sources.

These officials would not characterize that communication.

But the sources also said there is other information from Pakistan that has led to investigations in the United States to uncover whether there are any individuals or terrorist cells plotting an attack on U.S. soil.

In addition, two senior Pakistani intelligence sources told CNN that there is evidence at least six individuals in the United States were contacted by Muhammad Naeem Noor Khan, an alleged al Qaeda operative who was recently taken into custody in Pakistan. U.S. officials have not confirmed that information.

It was Khan's arrest and documents in his possession that sparked this week's increased threat levels in Washington, New Jersey and New York, U.S. officials have said.

He is a computer expert who is suspected of helping Osama bin Laden communicate with his terror network, U.S. government sources told CNN. Pakistani officials have said the man's identity cannot be confirmed because he has used multiple aliases in the past.

U.S. sources said Khan told interrogators al Qaeda uses Web sites and e-mail addresses in Turkey, Nigeria and tribal areas of Pakistan to pass messages among themselves.

Couriers were often used to deliver computer discs, and the suspect would then post the messages on Web sites, but only briefly, the sources said.

According to the sources, after messages were sent and read, the files were deleted.

E-mail addresses were used only two or three times; if the information was really sensitive, an address might be used only once.

The U.S. sources allege Khan assisted in the evaluation of potential targets and served as a "clearinghouse" of information. He told investigators that he does not know where bin Laden is hiding, sources said.

They said Khan's father facilitated a lot of his international travel, but they do not think the father knew what his son was doing.

Much of the surveillance of possible terror targets in the three U.S. cities took place before September 11, 2001, but there was an indication of reconnaissance updates as recently as January, Bush administration officials said Tuesday.

"We know from the way al Qaeda does business, including on the 9/11 attacks, that they do their homework well in advance, then they update it just before they launch an attack," said Frances Fragos Townsend, a homeland security adviser to President Bush.

U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge said some of the information was updated earlier this year but that "there's no evidence of recent surveillance."

Neither Ridge nor Townsend said how much information was updated in January.

A senior military U.S. official said a computer seized from Khan contained hundreds of images, including photographs, drawings and layouts of various potential U.S. targets.

Some of the photos were years old, while others had been taken as recently as the past few months, the official said. Some images showed underground garages, leading to the conclusion those areas had been under surveillance.

But the information did not include details of any specific plot or time.

"These reports are extraordinarily detailed," Townsend said. "These individuals clearly had access; they were inside this country, inside these targets, crawling all over them, making sure they understood those buildings."

Full Article

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Babs

• reese2

• wunarmdscissor

• Fluffybunny

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pleasant...

Having a free, ethnically divirse country like we do sure does make it difficult to stay ontop of potential terrorists runningabout...

So would anyone like to start a pool to see how long it is going to take until the US imposes a WWII style internment camp for middle eastern folks? 1 more attack? 2 more?

Pleasant...

Having a free, ethnically divirse country like we do sure does make it difficult to stay ontop of potential terrorists runningabout...

So would anyone like to start a pool to see how long it is going to take until the US imposes a WWII style internment camp for middle eastern folks? 1 more attack? 2 more?

I'd give it at least 2 more. whistling2.gif

I really doubt that will happen. rolleyes.gif

The thing we need to do is keep track of who comes into the country. The border situation is nuts! Anyone can come in. ph34r.gif

I really doubt that will happen. rolleyes.gif

The thing we need to do is keep track of who comes into the country. The border situation is nuts! Anyone can come in. ph34r.gif

Tell me about it! I live in Texas, it's the absolute worst here! Hundreds of people swimming over the Rio Grande everyday. It's ridiculous! disgust.gif

I really doubt that will happen.  rolleyes.gif

The thing we need to do is keep track of who comes into the country. The border situation is nuts! Anyone can come in.  ph34r.gif

Do not be so sure K.

It would be a logical step at some point.

The War on Terrorism is unwinable.

Fighting and winning can be achieved over issues

of marterialism.

Winning a war on ideology is unrealistic.

People are too diverse on too many things.

They have always fought and always will.

Winning tangible material wealth is one thing,

Winning the hearts and minds is another.

They won't shut down the borders, they want the terrorists to come in. I think, we the people, have to fend for ourselves. It's going to be a tough time...many are voicing their fears, now. We have to be alert and do what is necessary.

Hey, now we know they use their computers close to the war zone. Wow, that's a biggy.... didn't anyone think of that before? rolleyes.gif Also they are crawling all over these buildings taking pictures and making diagrams....maybe they worked there. whistling2.gif How about looking into that? Or would that be too racist? rolleyes.gif

I really like the idea about letting all these terrorists in, then running all about to find 'them' before they blow us up!

Well, I guess the govenment knows what it's doing... too bad the people have to be involved.

Edited by Babs

I really dont see much new about this threat than all the others that kept popping up. All of them have been "different" than the previous ones, lol.

Well, I guess the govenment knows what it's doing...

I think that this may very well define where you and I part company in terms of supporting our government...

I would never make such a guess...

I really like the idea about letting all these terrorists in, then running all about to find 'them' before they blow us up!

Why would you like the idea of letting all of the terrorists in?

Fluffy...I don't like the idea. I was being sarcastic. But like I said_ I guess the government knows what it's doing. I can see what they are saying, though...better to have the terrorists come in and be able to nab or kill them than have them stay outside and plan. ph34r.gif

BTW....not to get off topic....but didn't you say you were planning a trip to France? I quit leaving the country years ago; too dangerous. ph34r.gif If you go, I wouldn't advertise that I was an American.

Edited by Babs

I just caught the tail end of a news story on CNN that two terror suspects were picked up in Albany, New York. In about an hour and a half they are going to have a news conference.

I just caught the tail end of a news story on CNN that two terror suspects were picked up in Albany, New York. In about an hour and a half they are going to have a news conference.

Yup. They tried to help someone aquire a shoulder mounted missile launcher.

This is from CNN.com

Two men arrested in missile sting operation

WASHINGTON, D.C. (CNN) -- The imam and the founder of a mosque in Albany, New York, are being held after an FBI sting operation in which the suspects tried to help an undercover agent posing as a terrorist, federal law enforcement sources said Thursday.

The FBI approached the suspects, Yasin Aref, 34, the imam at the Masjid As-Salam mosque, and the mosque's founder, Mohammed Hoosain, 49, with the idea of laundering money, sources told CNN.

They were apprehended when they allegedly agreed to launder the money so the presumed terrorist could buy a shoulder-fired missile, sources said.

A source said the charges involve material support to terrorists, but could not confirm details of an indictment. Other sources said the indictment has just been unsealed.

Authorities were conducting a raid at the mosque Thursday, a source said, and that the raid is being carried out by the U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement and Joint Terrorism Task Force.

The Associated Press cited two federal law enforcement sources who said the men who were arrested have ties to a group called Ansar al-Islam, which has been linked to the al Qaeda terror network.

Gee, Fluffy, if I had said what Michelle just said without backup data you would have been all over me. But, look, you actually help Michelle out and put out the data to back up what she 'heard'. rolleyes.gif

Fluffy, it looks like you have a double standard. whistling2.gif

BTW....not to get off topic....but didn't you say you were planning a trip to France? I quit leaving the country years ago; too dangerous.  If you go, I wouldn't advertise that I was an American.

Wot a lot of crap.

How in the hell is it too dangerous for an american to come to europe??????????????

FLuffy please , and i know you wont, but please ignore that rubbish, ive been to france an its one of THE most amazing countries on the face of the planet.

As for americans being in any more danger than the rest of us ESPECIALLY in europe and in your opinion for years then thats nothing short of POOR education.

We welcome americans with open arms. its insulting for you to suggest otherwise.

Unlike yourself Babs when my country has a disagreement with another the massess dont break out into hysteria renaming the name of bloody chips, buying racist bumper stickers and boycottin the entire nation.

Gee, Fluffy, if I had said what Michelle just said without backup data you would have been all over me. But, look, you actually help Michelle out and put out the data to back up what she 'heard'. rolleyes.gif

Fluffy, it looks like you have a double standard. whistling2.gif

Babs, just like with you, I checked out what she said.

What she said, checked out, and I posted the article.

Had what you said checked out, I would have done the same.

I worked to find the information "You heard about", but there was no such thing as has been the case more than once.

It is not a double standard.

Btw, yes I am planning to go to France, as well as England, and hopefully Scotland. I have been to France and England before and have never had a problem. I would be worried if I were travelling to the middle east, but western Europe is really not a concern in my opinion(Aside from flying, I do get nervous having to fly all of the time). France is a beautiful country with an amazing culture and incredible food. If you can go there, I say go for it, it is well worth the trip.

My experience is that if you travel to other countries and are respectful of the culture and the people it isn't a problem. The same thing goes for wherever I end up travelling for business or pleasure.

My French is horrible, but I have found that even making an attempt to speak the language out of respect goes a long way to making the locals feel respected.

Edited by Fluffybunny

erm difference bein babs she just stated an unbiased fact.

You are constantly posting with a not so hidden agenda.

We welcome americans with open arms. its insulting for you to suggest otherwise.

I know that...

Unlike yourself Babs when my country has a disagreement with another the massess dont break out into hysteria renaming the name of bloody chips, buying racist bumper stickers and boycottin the entire nation.

I am so incredibly embarrased about that one. It was such a highschool mentality kind of thing to do...

How in the hell is it too dangerous for an american to come to europe??????????????

I don't know what that is about. I have heard it before too...I can understand going to the middle east(Wouldn't do it on a bet...) as being somewhat dangerous, but I don't get why Europe would be any more dangerous than anywhere else at this point.

FLuffy please , and i know you wont, but please ignore that rubbish, ive been to france an its one of THE most amazing countries on the face of the planet.

Been there, love the place...the food, the culture, the art...Paris is very romantic too.

Well, good luck, my friend. I read on Fox news some travel tips for you....like don't go out of the country_ if you don't have to.... And rolleyes.gif you might want to check your life insurance policy before you go. Hey, don't look at me...ask your government. Yes, it is dangerous out there. Anything can happen to you when you leave these waters. ph34r.gif

Sounds like you will be a repectful person and that should help a great deal......but I would still be very careful.

The persons not gonna be killed in Europe for being american. Although if you go to france... be prepared to get some rude treatment from the average joe's on the street... I remember hearing that that was common when the whole invasion was being prepared (circa: Freedom Fries). Might have died down now though.

It sounds like Fluffy is a seasoned traveler and knows the french language; he'll be alright. (Hey Fluffy, why don't you swing by Israel and look up Erikl... you two could have a blast.) ohmy.giflaugh.gif

...no offense Erikl....just ribbing Fluffy. Yeah, you know the news channel said that people leaving the country should talk to their loved ones about the possibilty of a kidnapping or death. They should make some sort of preparations for this event before leaving.

I don't know babs, I don't think that there is as much of a concern for going to western europe as you would think...

If I were going to the middle east, it would be a whole different story. London and Paris are pretty safe bets, and I haven't seen too many kidnappings from either place lately...

As for going to Israel, I just can't see myself going there anytime soon. I could see if I were very religous and wanted to see where it all started and was willing to risk my life to do so, but that is nowhere near the case. No offence to Erickl, but it is just too dangerous for me considering I have no real reason to go there (other than to say hello to Erickl)

I have done a boatload of travelling since 9/11, and I can honestly say I feel safer now than I did pre 9/11. Security is much tighter than ever, and I doubt that anyone is going to get away with another 9/11 type event...

There is always the risk of somebody getting a hold of a SAM missle or something, but that is pretty remote at this point, so I just suck up my fear of flying and do my best to not let the terrorists win by keeping me hiding at home. I would hate to see the airlines going out of business and the economy be hurt becasue folks just stayed home. Not that I don't get nervous flying, I do, but I just hate being out of control that way...

Very noble.

The article says that you should keep abreast of news in the country you will be visiting. I'm not worried about you, but I would worry generally about travel outside the US. I travel frequently within the US and I agree that it is important to go about your affairs normally; flying is very important to our country and our country's economy. (keeping the morale up is good too thumbsup.gif )

I, on the other hand, would love to visit Israel. original.gif Maybe.... some day, I will.

Yeah, you know the news channel said that people leaving the country should talk to their loved ones about the possibilty of a kidnapping or death. They should make some sort of preparations for this event before leaving.

and the USA common people is comming more and more paranoid and retrogade thanks to the people how wants then scared, and the Al quaeda terrorist are the only ones....

PD: CHANGE TO ORANGE ALERT LEVEL!!!!!......BUSH HAD A BAD DREAM ABOUT TERRORIST!!!! whistling2.giflaugh.gif