Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Autism, ADD, ADHD, and the new generation....

make me believe

Is there something behind the growing number of mental defects showing up in our younger generation?

dd395-Vaccine%20(s).jpg

dd395-Syringe%20%20(site).jpg

dd395-Flu%20(S).jpg

Edited by make me believe

I personally think that it's always been there, but it's just being understood now.

• Like 4

I personally think that it's always been there, but it's just being understood now.

This.

Speaking as a teacher, the quality of diagnostic tests available to us to see if a child may or may not show signs of ADD/ADHD/ASD/etc has exploded over the past five years alone (the time I've been on the job). When I was at school I was told that I was just a bit overactive. Now, I'd be diagnosed with mild ADHD "need observation, but no medication".

It's not some insidious plot, rather the quality of diagnostic tools has improved.

• Like 4

I agree........like child abuse..ect!!!....it's always been around,just never talked about or acknowledged.......even so...medications have also improved...and these children are being watched and treated more carefully.............and i say this as my middle child has Autism and an intillectual imparement.......

I think part of the increase (I have heard there is one as well but have not really looked into it at all) could be because we have a drug that is designed to fix every little problem as well as drugs to fix the problems that come from taking the original drug! American society seems to be becoming rapidly dependent on drugs for things that would have been ignored twenty years ago. I don't think there is an increase in these disorders (ADD, ADHS, Autism) but just an increase in our desire to have small problems fixed by drugs.

I sometimes feel it is easier for some parents to say their child/children has ADD than to admit that their child's bad behavior is because of a lack of good parenting qualities. I wouldn't be surprised if a large percentage of the children who are given the drugs actually do not have a problem at all but are given the drug because it is the easiest way to solve their bad behavior. This makes it even tougher for children who actually have the disorder because it is seen as a common problem with an easy fix, when in actuality it probably is not.

• Like 1

I think part of the increase (I have heard there is one as well but have not really looked into it at all) could be because we have a drug that is designed to fix every little problem as well as drugs to fix the problems that come from taking the original drug! American society seems to be becoming rapidly dependent on drugs for things that would have been ignored twenty years ago. I don't think there is an increase in these disorders (ADD, ADHS, Autism) but just an increase in our desire to have small problems fixed by drugs.

I sometimes feel it is easier for some parents to say their child/children has ADD than to admit that their child's bad behavior is because of a lack of good parenting qualities. I wouldn't be surprised if a large percentage of the children who are given the drugs actually do not have a problem at all but are given the drug because it is the easiest way to solve their bad behavior. This makes it even tougher for children who actually have the disorder because it is seen as a common problem with an easy fix, when in actuality it probably is not.

i agree.....i think a person being capable of distinguishing the difference between a child that is plain naughty....to a child with a disability........the line is getting finer..............my son has never been on any medication............as much as he drives me insane at times............i don't want him dulled so to speak..........

This.

Speaking as a teacher, the quality of diagnostic tests available to us to see if a child may or may not show signs of ADD/ADHD/ASD/etc has exploded over the past five years alone (the time I've been on the job). When I was at school I was told that I was just a bit overactive. Now, I'd be diagnosed with mild ADHD "need observation, but no medication".

It's not some insidious plot, rather the quality of diagnostic tools has improved.

Speaking as someone who has a mild form of (genetic) autism, I concur with what has been said.

I will agree with you but also say that "the government wants you to buy their drugs." Just look at the sheer number of commercials during prime time advertising fixes for the most trivial issues.

Edited by make me believe

So does that give pediatricians and pharmaceutical companies free reign on what is what and to dope kids? Do not give your kids drugs.

Edited by The Silver Thong
  • Like 2

So does that give pediatricians and pharmaceutical companies free reign on what is what and to dope kids? Do not give your kids drugs.

So if your kid has diabetes? No insulin for little Timmy? How about an arrhythmia? No beta blockers to keep little Timmy alive?

Or is the "no drug" rule just for illnesses that occur above the neck and between the ears?

If a person has an chemical imbalance in their pancreas it is ok to get medical help, but if the chemical imbalance is in the brain?

When it is up to decision making, it is between the doctor and the parent as to what is the best form of treatment for a kid. Pharmaceutical companies develop new meds, but they do not have the ability to prescribe them.

It amazes me that to this day there is such a stigma with mental health issues...

What if your kid is diagnosed schizophrenic, or depressed? Should we just tell them to deal with it? Even if they just have ADD, or ADHD, it's still very useful. There are many meds that are very beneficial to the person. I know, i have ADD and spent my whole school career in special ed classes. I lost count how many times a kid from that class went on meds for what ever was affecting them, and they didn't need the class anymore. The bottom line is that the people who have negative side effects to those kinds of meds are greatly outnumbered by the number of people who are benefitting them. If you could never get the right balance in meds over a long period of testing, it's not the pharmaceutical companies fault. Your doctor doesn't know what he's doing. That's like blaming the gun companies of the deaths of people who are shot.

• 2 years later...

http://www.naturalnews.com/040938_adhd_fictitious_disease_psychiatry.html#

Before his death, father of ADHD admitted it was a fictitious disease

(NaturalNews) If you or someone you know has a child that has been diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), chances are the child is actually just fine. At least this is what the "father" of ADHD, Leon Eisenberg, would presumably say if he were still alive. On his death bed, this psychiatrist and autism pioneer admitted that ADHD is essentially a "fictitious disease," which means that millions of young children today are being needlessly prescribed severe mind-altering drugs that will set them up for a life of drug addiction and failure.

A corporation needs a product to make money.

Well, as someone who always loved "knowing", but hated the painful process of "learning", and who found his time in the educational system to be utterly frustrating yet unbearably alluring, who at age 32 was diagnosed with ADD, I would have to say that my vote is strongly for the existence of this condition.

Particularly, I would point to how, despite my difficulties in my previous college career where I barely scraped out a Bachelor's, after learning of my disability and on beginning a proper medication routine, I went on to get an associates in Network Engineering, followed by a Master's in Business Administration (apparently, all that discipline and tips and techniques I used for study and memorization prior to medication work a heck of a lot better when your brain is functioning properly).

Indeed, when I am on my medication, I can even note details like ol' Icke up there so unable to resist turning something into a conspiracy, he can't even pass up a 2-year old thread without claiming whatever mainstream belief is the topic is really just some big corporation playing a trick on you.

• Like 2

Incidentally, I read the article and was unsurprised to find the single "admitted it was a fictitious disease" line followed by an entire article congratulating themselves for being right all along. I followed the link from the link to a third source, who said pretty much the same thing, and looked up what they referred to as their source, which was yet another natural cures magazine article. Now, having seen this pattern time and time again, where the people accusing everyone else of being sheeple essentially copy each other over and over again without ever checking the source, I decided to do a little searching of my own.

Having spent about 4-5 minutes doing the above, I decided to type into Google "Der Spiegel Eisenberg ficticious". The very first link I get:

Snopes.com: Der Spiegel reported Dr. Eisenberg said "ADHD is a prime example of a ficticious disease".

In that link is a link to an English version of the German page I found, along with the actual statement made by Dr. Eisenberg, along with why this mistake was reported in the first place.

It took me a little less than a minute to determine that the accusation made in the form of a conspiracy didn't actually exist.

Edited by aquatus1
  • Like 1

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/child-psychologist-jerome-kagan-on-overprescibing-drugs-to-children-a-847500.html

Harvard psychologist Jerome Kagan is one of the world's leading experts in child development. In a SPIEGEL interview, he offers a scathing critique of the mental-health establishment and pharmaceutical companies, accusing them of incorrectly classifying millions as mentally ill out of self-interest and greed.

• Like 1

Well, as someone who always loved "knowing", but hated the painful process of "learning", and who found his time in the educational system to be utterly frustrating yet unbearably alluring, who at age 32 was diagnosed with ADD, I would have to say that my vote is strongly for the existence of this condition.

Particularly, I would point to how, despite my difficulties in my previous college career where I barely scraped out a Bachelor's, after learning of my disability and on beginning a proper medication routine, I went on to get an associates in Network Engineering, followed by a Master's in Business Administration (apparently, all that discipline and tips and techniques I used for study and memorization prior to medication work a heck of a lot better when your brain is functioning properly).

Indeed, when I am on my medication, I can even note details like ol' Icke up there so unable to resist turning something into a conspiracy, he can't even pass up a 2-year old thread without claiming whatever mainstream belief is the topic is really just some big corporation playing a trick on you.

So you believe you have a fictitious condition?

Each and every child that come's to this planet through a womb is not automatically going to go through a sausage machine and learn what the system want's. We are not here on this planet to work for a system of bankers who make money out of thin air. We are not here from cradle to just learn THERE world of greed and corruption.

If you are not doing well at school and you can't get on you can't have some weirdo come along diagnose you with some 'disease' because your grades are low.

This is the point!, the system want's robot's to serve the system of control, If that system fails then they fail. It's that simple. If you are not the cog in the wheel you are a problem, If you think differently YOU ARE A PROBLEM. GET IT! If you are not getting a mortgage and can see through all the bull**** you are a problem. If you are not clever enough to do get their system of control you are a problem. The system is running scared because they know that we are evolving past their system and this is why the use of drugs was created, why they make up all these problems for children, it is to stop reaching their full potential as a human being and knowing that this planet is riddled with parasite's feeding off of human energy. THAT SIMPLE FOLKS.

So when i hear " i found it hard at school" it's because it is the most unnatural process going. The system is corrupt and no way are we taking their medication to suppress our pure brilliance as to what we can be and not what they want us to be. :w00t: So yes ADHD is FICTITIOUS!!

Just to add they knew this time was coming and they prepared this and this is why the world is in so much confusion, PEOPLE ARE WAKING UP FROM THEIR CONTROLLERS!! :clap: :clap: :clap::tsu:

Not at all.

I know I have a very real one.

Well If you are gonna believe this good luck to you.

This.

Agreed. The first time I ever heard of autism was in the late 70s when we went to visit my aunt in Birmingham who ran a treatment house for autistic children. Back then the diagnosis for autism was generally only made in the most extreme cases - I recall meeting a kid who had to wear a helmet because he had given himself numerous concussions due to banging his head on walls.

Now, thanks to improved diagnostics the kid who used to be "quite" or a little "weird" no longer has to live a life of being picked on and ostracized and can get proper treatment for his/her condition.

Go Science!

Incidentally, I read the article and was unsurprised to find the single "admitted it was a fictitious disease" line followed by an entire article congratulating themselves for being right all along. I followed the link from the link to a third source, who said pretty much the same thing, and looked up what they referred to as their source, which was yet another natural cures magazine article. Now, having seen this pattern time and time again, where the people accusing everyone else of being sheeple essentially copy each other over and over again without ever checking the source, I decided to do a little searching of my own.

Having spent about 4-5 minutes doing the above, I decided to type into Google "Der Spiegel Eisenberg ficticious". The very first link I get:

Snopes.com: Der Spiegel reported Dr. Eisenberg said "ADHD is a prime example of a ficticious disease".

In that link is a link to an English version of the German page I found, along with the actual statement made by Dr. Eisenberg, along with why this mistake was reported in the first place.

It took me a little less than a minute to determine that the accusation made in the form of a conspiracy didn't actually exist.

That's what happens when your major news source is Natural News. Seriously, when are folks going to wise up and realize that NN and a host of other "health" and conspiracy sites simply LIE TO YOU to keep you coming back for more. Oh, and I'm sure NN has a "natural" product they'd be more than happy to sell you to treat your kids mental health issues.

That's what happens when your major news source is Natural News. Seriously, when are folks going to wise up and realize that NN and a host of other "health" and conspiracy sites simply LIE TO YOU to keep you coming back for more. Oh, and I'm sure NN has a "natural" product they'd be more than happy to sell you to treat your kids mental health issues.

Right back at ya. If you want lie's obomber's got loads. :passifier:

Right back at ya. If you want lie's obomber's got loads. :passifier:

The two are not related. I never said that other media sources don't lie.

Well If you are gonna believe this good luck to you.

Well, It's been a pretty good 10 years compared to the previous 30, so yeah, I think I'll go with actual experience, knowledge, and education, and ignore the guy who's idea of strong evidence is making an accusation based on an error and ignoring when he is shown evidence showing where and how the mistake was made.