Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rare Discovery of Intact Celtic Tomb

Still Waters

German archeologists have unearthed a 2,600-year-old Celtic tomb containing a treasure of jewellery made of gold, amber and bronze.

The subterranean chamber measuring four by five meters was uncovered near the prehistoric Heuneburg hill fort near the town of Herbertingen in south-western Germany. Its contents including the oak floor of the room are unusually well preserved.The find is a "milestone for the reconstruction of the social history of the Celts," archeologist Dirk Krausse, the director of the dig, said on Tuesday.

The intact oak should allow archeologists to ascertain the precise age of the tomb through tree-ring dating. This is rarely possible with Celtic finds because the Celts left behind no writings and their buildings, usually made from wood and clay, have long since crumbled away.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paracelse

• Grandpa Greenman

• Still Waters

• d e v i c e

Wow, how exciting. Good find SW.

That should keep the archaeologists going for a while. But I just hope they lay the bones back to rest after they've finished with them.

Good article wish they shown more of what was found in the grave and I agree with electro13 that afther the examination that the bones be lay to rest.

The craftsmanship on the jewellery is just so beautiful! The ruffles are perfect. What a wonderful find, it must have been the thrill of a lifetime to find something so amazing...WOW!! :wub:

Does any one have any links to info about the Celts in France?

Celts in France have been destroyed multiple times over, first by Caesar and his legions, second by christian church who made sure nothing was left. We know for certain there was a temple in Chartres where the actual cathedral has been built, there was a black Madonna with child revered by Druids but the Madonna has been destroyed also. Here are a couple links I found.

http://eps.mcgill.ca/~courses/c435/Magntics-papers/Gradient-techniques_TheLeadingEdge/tle_archeol2.pdf

http://www.lessing-photo.com/search.asp?a=1&kc=2020202023B0&kw=OPPIDUM%2C+CELTIC+SETTLEMENT&p=1&ipp=32

I just wonder if the archeologist are going to expose those finds like they did with other cultures (Egyptian Assyrian etc..) or returned the entire tomb to its place of rest and what is going to be done to left it protected from grave robbers?

Very nice find indeed! Should be a fascinating research project for the people involved. The rings etc. look amazing, the preservation is astonishing.