Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Australia faces 'biblical' floods

Still Waters

Tens of thousands of Australians have evacuated their homes as “biblical” floods deluged an area of Queensland as big as France and Germany combined, with fears of worse to come.

Army helicopters dropped supplies to stranded towns, police patrolled in boats looking for looters, and families were warned of the risk from giant saltwater crocodiles and poisonous snakes being washed into urban areas.

An estimated 200,000 people have been affected by the floods, the worst in a century in some parts of the north-eastern state.

The cost in damage to infrastructure is expected to run into billions of pounds.

arrow3.gifRead more...

I have relatives in Australia who luckily are safe and well, but there are plenty who are not so lucky. My heart goes out to everyone on UM who has been, and still is affected by these terrible floods.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sir Wearer of Hats

• Habitat

• jesspy

• tigger

For you it's Biblical.

For us, it's Tuesday.

Australia is a land of crippling droughts and flooding rain. We run naturally to extremes, we take the knocks and get back up again. Anyone who doesn't have flood insurance needs their heads read, and anyone who isn't prepared for a quick escape (especially people who live west of the Great Dividing Range) need a kick up their bums.

For you it's Biblical.

For us, it's Tuesday.

Australia is a land of crippling droughts and flooding rain. We run naturally to extremes, we take the knocks and get back up again. Anyone who doesn't have flood insurance needs their heads read, and anyone who isn't prepared for a quick escape (especially people who live west of the Great Dividing Range) need a kick up their bums.

I imagine it's similar to people in the states that live in 'tornado alley' that are surprised when a tornado rips their house off it's foundation. No matter where you live, you can't take mother nature for granted. I'm not saying that people deserve this kind of thing (not at all) but one does have to take into consideration the possible dangers of the area they live in.

That being said though, I do hope that any loss of life is minimal and people can get their feet on dry ground again soon. :tu:

For you it's Biblical.

For us, it's Tuesday.

Don't forget bushfires. At least when it's flooding we don't get those. :P

Don't forget bushfires. At least when it's flooding we don't get those. :P

Don't be so sure I swear last night was a bushfire moon.

as terrible as the floods are, don't you just admire how the Aussies just get on with it. roll their sleeves up, do whats needed and march onwards. what a great country and first class people. :tu:

as terrible as the floods are, don't you just admire how the Aussies just get on with it. roll their sleeves up, do whats needed and march onwards. what a great country and first class people. :tu:

And they don't whinge on & blame it all on global bloody warming.

Edited by itsnotoutthere

For that comment, you deserve a free trip to Oz......... without shackles. :lol:

For you it's Biblical.

For us, it's Tuesday.

sadly.. a lot of insurers will not cover ppl in these areas for flood. but you can mark my words that those who are lucky enough to have insurance in areas where they are covered by it.. the insurance companies will cry foul. which gives me a good dose of the irrites, especially considering the amount of money we pour into their firms without claiming.

And they don't whinge on & blame it all on global bloody warming.

bah.. there may be some sort of global warming.. but a lot of what happens in the world has happened before. ppl like to talk this stuff up

I live in Queensland but it hasn't flooded here yet, thankfully of course...

Edited by TheCoward

I live in Queensland but it hasn't flooded here yet, thankfully of course...

It's rained every day, though. We must have better drainage...

The flood water brings may other things like all the sewage mixes witht he water and the smell is terrible. The wrost thing is all the brown snakes swimming in the water looking for somewhere dry like homes. They had to shoot many snakes that where laying on the air strip.

floods-snake_1796267i.jpg

snakes-crocodiles-threaten-flood-hit-australia-town-2011-01-04_l.jpg

The snakes, including highly venomous taipans, brown snakes and red-bellied blacks, are climbing trees and hiding in people's houses as they search for dry refuge, residents said.

My link

Ewwwwwww. Brown Snakes are nasty!

Edited by Alladar

Is anyone else here worried that the animals seem to be hanging out in pairs now?

Are they? Why be worried if they are? Most species do that at some point. They might just be making the best of a bad situation!

Are they? Why be worried if they are? Most species do that at some point. They might just be making the best of a bad situation!

I believe that Wearer of Hats was making a Noah's Ark reference. :lol::tu:

I believe that Wearer of Hats was making a Noah's Ark reference. :lol::tu:

bingo!

Glad someone got the joke :lol:

For you it's Biblical.

For us, it's Tuesday.

It's not officially Biblical until some televangelist declares that it's due to God's Wrath.

Edited by Tiggs

An area the size of Germany and France combined? Australia isn't that big of a country. So how would an area of Australia be as big as those two combined?

Edited by AIMP

An area the size of Germany and France combined? Australia isn't that big of a country. So how would an area of Australia be as big as those two combined?

Your so far off here.

Australia is the 6th largest country in the world.

With a Land area of 7686850 sq km.

France is 547030 sq km.

Germany is 357021 sq km.

(Source: http://www.mongabay.com/igapo/world_statistics_by_area.htm )

Just to further illustrate the point - we have states bigger than both those countries

combined!

Hell, we even have single cattle farms larger than the North American state of Texas.

The only thing small about Australia, is our population.

Both those videos are of a flash flood in Toowoomba Queensland. As quickly as it came it was gone. * confirmed dead and up to 72 are missing in the area according to the radio.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/environment/weather/inland-tsunami-devastates-queensland-towns-20110110-19kti.html Watch the video with this article. Edited by jesspy

I've actually got a bug-out kit ready and we're thinking of moving one of the cars to the shops at the end of the street which is on the high ground. My yard is under about six inches of water and there's a nasty electrical storm buzzing around meaning we can't run around and clear debris and improve the flow of water.

The floods are getting deadlier with over 70 persons missing and 8 confirmed drowned in the latest flash flooding episode. The recent floods are a bitter end to a decade or more of severe drought, in which "experts" warned that the future was a dry one, and we'd better adjust to that reality. Those people are not proffering any more wisdom at the moment. :rolleyes: