Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Australia faces 'biblical' floods

Still Waters

The floods are getting deadlier with over 70 persons missing and 8 confirmed drowned in the latest flash flooding episode. The recent floods are a bitter end to a decade or more of severe drought, in which "experts" warned that the future was a dry one, and we'd better adjust to that reality. Those people are not proffering any more wisdom at the moment. :rolleyes:

Apparently last night's "inland tsunami" was something that was "beyond the range of the predictive software".

Thanks for that, that's reassuring.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sir Wearer of Hats

• Habitat

• jesspy

• S2F

Apparently last night's "inland tsunami" was something that was "beyond the range of the predictive software".

Thanks for that, that's reassuring.

The major damage, and looking very likely major loss of life, was further down the range from the stuff illustrated in the youtube clips shown above, advance warning was given over the media about the oncoming wall of water but many people still appear to have not gotten the message. Shocking scenes by all reports.

The major damage, and looking very likely major loss of life, was further down the range from the stuff illustrated in the youtube clips shown above, advance warning was given over the media about the oncoming wall of water but many people still appear to have not gotten the message. Shocking scenes by all reports.

It was the middle of the night, so I expect that many people were tucked into their beds when the warnings came.

It was the middle of the night, so I expect that many people were tucked into their beds when the warnings came.

5,6,7 p.m. TV news bulletins warned of a grave threat to towns at foot of range.

News just gets worse with the city of Brisbane facing a catastrophic flood, the worst since 1893 and that in spite of a major flood mitigation dam built in the 70's to forestall such a repeat.

Apparently it's Kevin rudd's fault according to some ******s bucking to be Australia's answer to the Westboro Baptists.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/pastor-says-kevin-rudd-to-blame-for-floods/story-e6frfku0-1225985730895

It's almost refreshing and at the same time sad that the US isn't the only place with morons like that. Claiming that natural disasters are the result of a vengeful God is a bunch of crap...it always has been.

It's almost refreshing and at the same time sad that the US isn't the only place with morons like that. Claiming that natural disasters are the result of a vengeful God is a bunch of crap...it always has been.

Living dangerously that guy, talking that sort of stuff. I'm sure that he'll need to go in to hiding to avoid the hounds of the media, not to mention those affected by this tragedy. :td:

Edited by Habitat

Living dangerously that guy, talking that sort of stuff. I'm sure that he'll need to go in to hiding to avoid the hounds of the media, not to mention those affected by this tragedy. :td:

We don't take crap like that lying down, someone's going to "go" this prat I think.

That guy from article above needs to be shot. Now that I have said that I am sure a cyclone will form off Western Australia and he will blame me for that.

Another concern is that alot of this flood water has ruined crops so food prices are goig to sky rocket. SO this is going to have an effect that will last years

Is anyone else here worried that the animals seem to be hanging out in pairs now?

No, thats what breeding is...

Just goes to show that perhaps God isn't p***ed with Queensland, that the wind is now blowing drying off the sea and there are patches of clear sky. The rain's abated and the flood water's dropping in most "non-river flooded". The inverse is that every river in Queensland is peaking, and places like Brisbane's CBD is evacuated totally and all power cut off. So there's no rain, but it doesn't matter because the water's already in the waterways.

instead of flood watch at the end of my street, we're all actually doing some laundry.

10 dead, 100 missing.

And it's going to be rain-y and high rivers until WINTER here. That's six months away.

Further high rainfall and cyclone events seem inevitable in 2010. Historically, February historically has been a bad month for cyclones, so we can only hope the luck improves.

After this El nino will kick in again and then QL will be in drought along with almost all of the rest of the country for another 15 - 20 years. And too the greenies you suck dams could have been built by now to help keep this water. Greenies heads will roll when the drought comes again.

12 dead now thousands of homes afected. damage to cost minimum $5 billion dollars

My heart goes out to all those people caught in the floods. I have a friend in QLD but she is up higher then where the floods started from.

It's a 1 in 100yr flood but like someone said Australia is a country of extremes and most of the time you do get warning of something before it happens ( unfortunately they didn't where they had the inland tsunami ). They've been warning Brisbane for almost 2days about incoming flood waters even without official warnings you'd be stupid not to follow the reports yourself and work out what's going on. It's better to be safe then sorry.

We do that because we live in a bushfire area, if it looks like it's coming this way especially if you've been put on notice you pack up the essentials all your important stuff and a weeks worth of clothing and get it to a safe place ahead of time.

And anyone that doesn't have insurance really has to be stupid. If you can't get insurance wouldn't you be questioning why? If you still take the risk and buy there then that's on your shoulders, you should have got to the place cheap enough to have banked the money needed to repair it in this sort of case.

Edited by Tia

Why is it that people have to find someone to blame.. It's God, it's the politicians, it's the people who built there...

It's nobodys fault. It was a lot of rain that fell in a limited area - That's it, nothing less, nothing more.

Like most people, we have to deal with it, then get on with fixing the devestating results. I feel sorry for the people that are affected, but they'll get over it and live on (most of them). Some have lost their lives and that's tragic, too. But that's life!

Step up to the mark people and instead of making unfounded accusations, just help your fellow man in whatever way you can.

We can all do something, even if it's just words of support.

I feel sorry for a friend of mine near Rockhampton, trapped in her town since Boxing Day because of floods all around. No friends or family can visit so she celebrates her birthday today alone, so I've Skyped and Facebooked and texted to let her know that she isn't alone.

Individual tragedies abound in all forms as the floods continue to affect more and more people.

Do what YOU can to help!

Good ole' Aussie's helping each other out no matter what the difference.

98e93f2d1e.jpg

(Frog hitching a ride on a brown snake)

Edited by Alladar

An area the size of Germany and France combined? Australia isn't that big of a country. So how would an area of Australia be as big as those two combined?

are you really that uneducated?

what i can't fathom, is the stark contrast from one side of the country to the other. here in w.a. is dry as dry can be, yet everywhere else is being totally hammered. and this la nina is going to hang around till autumn. so all the poor buggers on the eastern sea board still have a while yet till things abate.

there are so many stories that are so heartbreaking being shown on the news. one child drowned, letting his brother being rescued before himself. it's getting so, that i can't watch anymore.

the best thing we can do (aussie's) is start donating monies and everyday items. toiletries, non perishable, nappies etc to help these ppl out. salvo's and vinnies are the way to go.

An area the size of Germany and France combined? Australia isn't that big of a country. So how would an area of Australia be as big as those two combined?

Australia is roughly the same size as mainland America (not counting Alaska). It's something we do when we introduce maps to kids at school.

ifvnv8.jpg

Also its now Victoria, New south wales, South Australia and Tasmania that are experiencing flooding from very minor to severe. link to article

Scary thing is that Australia has entered cycolone (Hurricane) season. There is one around Norfolk Island being watched.

http://www.theage.com.au/environment/weather/massive-cleanup-begins-20110114-19rc4.html

Thousands have come to help with the cleanup.. Entertainment provided for those in the shelters.

We have local celebrities such as whole football teams helping with the cleanups.. free entertainment with bands, ... to keep their spirits up.. volunteers caring for those in the shelters entertaining the kids..thousands of kilos of food provided.. Bonds providing free underclothes .. Red Cross doing door to door knocks.. to see if every one is OK.. over 3000 counsellors on line to help with the trauma.. volunteers in the thousands helping others with the cleanups.. skips provided by the councils to remove all the rubbish..people offering their homes for those whose houses were completely destroyed... efforts made to reunite stranded families..

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/floodrelief/queensland-floods-info-centre-updates-photos-advice-and-messages-for-loved-ones/story-fn7ik2te-1225987802026

It's called "I can give shelter to the flood victims in QLD" and has over 1000 members. ...

http://onehd.com.au/onehd/newsarticles/Football-Footballers-work-to-help-flood-victims-S-730164.htm

http://www.qld.gov.au/floods/

The floods have now hit New South Wales, Victoria and Tasmania

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/floods-hit-nsw-victoria-tasmania/story-fn7ikbtj-1225987731629

Thousands evacuated in Victoria as rising flood waters go north

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/record-deluge-drenches-victoria/story-e6frf7kx-1225986702803

If you are wondering what type of immediate financial assistance is offered by the government...

besides all the rest...

Victorians affected by widespread flooding may be eligible for emergency grants from the State Government.

Emergency Services Minister Peter Ryan has announced a package of hardship grants for communities affected by the deluge.

The grants include emergency loans of up to $427 per adult and $213 per child to a maximum of $1017 for each household to provide immediate assistance for those in urgent need of food, clothing and shelter.

There are temporary income-tested living expenses of up to $867 available for a maximum ten-week period for people whose principal residence has been destroyed or inaccessible for more than one week.

The temporary loans are targeted at those without insurance to cover expenses for temporary accommodation, household items and transport.

Income-tested grants of up to $8650 for structural repairs and up to $8650 for household items are also available to help re-establish structures or replace essential household items that are not insured.

The Federal Government may be called on to provide additional financial assistance if state relief expenditure is exceeded, a spokeswoman for Mr Ryan said

Edited by crystal sage

ifvnv8.jpg

Also its now Victoria, New south wales, South Australia and Tasmania that are experiencing flooding from very minor to severe. link to article

Scary thing is that Australia has entered cycolone (Hurricane) season. There is one around Norfolk Island being watched.

awesome pic jess. now ppl from america can actually see just how far perth is from sydney.. (and no. i dont know your friend that lives there :rolleyes: )