Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How large is your room ?

UM-Bot

Jann Burner: We all inhabit very small, very enclosed spaces within our minds...call them rooms. We even create physical, metaphorical equivalents and call them...houses. (combinations of many small square rooms, constructed entirely of 90 degree angles and hard flat surfaces.) But I am talking about the metaphorical "rooms" we inhabit within our mind. The size and space of each room is different for each person. For some, the space they inhabit is hardly bigger than a coat closet, for others it is a grand ballroom. But the fact is, each of our rooms have a very specific size and dimension and when we approach the edge, we will encounter a wall. For some this encountering The Wall, is the first they've noticed that they do, in fact, inhabit a contained space of specific dimension. For others, the creative few, encountering the wall is simply an opportunity to extend the boundaries of the space they inhabit. For some their walls are no more real than curtains on a convention center floor separating one exhibit from another. For others the walls are very real, as real as those encountered in an underground bunker designed to withstand a direct nuclear blast!

arrow3.gifView: Full Article

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UM-Bot

• Lilly

• freeman88

• cluey

so what the gullible have the mind space of a ballroom? maybe you are crazy. :ph34r:

cool concept...........the mind is a very powerful tool..........it is amazing what you can make it think and perceive...........

Interesting analogy. But, to quote my Dad, "Bigger ain't always better". And, to quote myself, "An open mind is like an open window, without a good screen you'll get a lot of weird bugs."

For me physical and mental are two different things , some people create a physical space in which they live and operate for most of their life , it can be large or small , but that space becomes their comfort zone from which they rarely stray .... The mental zone on the other hand is I believe limitless .

If JB encountered people who couldn't grasp one of his 'Tall Tales' , it's not because there was a wall in some ones mind , it's only because that persons imagination hadn't yet explored that pathway , but in the future when that person hears a similar story, he'll say , yes I've heard something like that before .

The mind expands in all directions , but for some , stories take a little while to sink in , so what we now have is the 'speed of comprehension' , which varies from person to person .... There are no walls .

However , I think this author's imagination knows no bounds .

So, what she is saying is that everybody has different limits for what they are capable of understanding? I must have encountered a wall because I don't understand what's so impressive about this. Or maybe people just like the metaphor.

• 2 weeks later...

Thesantanafan,

Not only that, but probably more interestingly she talks about how one handles/responds encountering their walls. She says some people may treat the encounter as an opportunity to expand more and if so then, they will and they can, while others may litterly prison themselves within the confounds of their walls and if so, then they will and can.

The latter would be a continuous rejection of anything that comes outside of their comprehension.

Subject is interesting and i can see what she's trying to connect her analogy with. I like how she ends it with the mention of ego too.

devilmaycare, what are you talking about ?

• 3 weeks later...

So your Article on How Large is Your Room Fascinates me, it is the exact topic which i am exploring. if you wouldn't mind i would love for you to put me in the your a crazy crackpot mindset towards yourself. now i added you as a friend please message me back. I Dare You : )