Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dead birds keep falling from the sky

ohio state buckeyes

I've lived in AR before & I have seen thousands of birds in my yard at once. It was freaky as hell to see.

I know a Wild Life officer & his theory is explained as a disease that was passed on to the birds from the massive fish kill recently. The species of fish caught some kind of disease & now the river is littered with them floating & washing on the river bed.

In turn, the birds ate them & died, & since it was only a certain species of these birds that died, it would be reasonable to assume it was from the disease spreading between them.

There should still be other animal deaths around the area of the fish though as I doubt that the birds were the only thing to try and feed off of them. Or perhaps the birds were especially susceptible to the disease? It still seems odd that just one group of fish and just one group of birds deaths could be linked somehow.

BTW, I love your user name. :lol::tu:

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sakari

• jaymalteser

• S2F

• DigitalSentinal

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Other birds eat the fish too I would think, and hang around the water.

Edited by kelunexplained

Oh yeah so a wildlife officer said the exact same thing as me and people just bumped my theory off..... :rolleyes:

Whatever! Don't be so full of yourself. Some of us actually know people & care to get the news from other places than UM & you.

Yes I think they came into contact with a large flying machine --plane or a u guessed a UFO...

wonder if they will check them for radiation

blunt force trauma and internal organs affected... I thinking birds know the weather and I don't think they would get engulfed in a strong wind, and if they did, it could not cause blunt force trama...

Come on out to the Pacific Northwest Coast during winter storms some time.....You will find that Birds are VERY vulerable to the weather.

I love how hardly anyone reads past replies......:angry:

It was one species of Fish !......Not all of the fish dying in the water , so NOT POISON.....

Birds DO DIE from current in storms , and fall to the ground , birds have collided into the ground and died ( like a Plane Doing a Loop , and not being high enough )......These birds that just died fly in big flocks , and stay tight together.....Nothing so strange about this.

I guess not wanting to believe the most obvious thing is not good for some people , just has to be something else....

Arghhhhhhh

Come on out to the Pacific Northwest Coast during winter storms some time.....You will find that Birds are VERY vulerable to the weather.

Birds flying in stormy weather is like people driving on a road during an earthquake. You never end up where you intend to. :lol::tu:

Latest Update.....1 minute ago :

BEEBE, Ark. — Preliminary autopsies on 17 of the up to 5,000 blackbirds that fell on this town indicate they died of blunt trauma to their organs, the state's top veterinarian told NBC News on Monday.

Their stomachs were empty, which rules out poison, Dr. George Badley said, and they died in midair, not on impact with the ground.

That evidence, and the fact that the red-winged blackbirds fly in close flocks, suggests they suffered some massive midair collision, he added. That lends weight to theories that they were startled by something.

My link

note: red-winged blackbirds don't eat fish.

I imagine they are seed and nut eating birds however during winter could they turn to scavenging if food was scarce? Not sure, so just asking.

i'm not sure. i doubt food is scarce. it's hardly "winter" in arkansas right now. :lol:

thanks for the link, sakari.

Edited by her.

i'm not sure. i doubt food is scarce. it's hardly "winter" in arkansas right now. :lol:

thanks for the link, sakari.

Huh? January isn't considered winter in Arkansas? Why has nobody told me this!? :blink:^_^

:lol: it is technically, but the weather is always insane here. it's about 60 degrees here right now. Edited by her.

:lol: it is technically, but the weather is always insane here. it's about 60 degrees here right now.

Oh!, I get it now. :blush::lol:

You guys are lucky, it's below freezing here. <_<

Edit: Was below freezing, it jumped up to 35 in the last 10 minutes. You aren't the only one with strange weather. Actually living here (in Oregon) I have seen sunshine, rain, snow, hail, fog and back to sunshine over the span of 2 hours. Hows that for insane? ^_^

Edited by Slave2Fate

http://www.dailymail...gle-garden.html

Something like this happened in someones yard.

Ya , I all ready posted this exact story on the last page ............ Along with the latest update to what caused the death. :angry:

Blunt force trauma in mid air? Sounds like they're magnetic directional instincts were getting an outside influence and not fireworks to me. There wouldn't have been so many if it was from being startled by fireworks, they would have turned like avoiding a predator but if magnetic frequency was interrupted while in a flock they would have collided with each other and it would only effect birds that flew in a flock.

I don't know, I think I'd keep an open mind here. Has anyone ever heard of a flock of birds killing themselves avoiding a predator or being startled in to suicide by fireworks before? It still doesn't sound right to me. It stinks of cover up of an experiment or the earth having a magnetic problem of some sort.

Blunt force trauma in mid air? Sounds like they're magnetic directional instincts were getting an outside influence and not fireworks to me. There wouldn't have been so many if it was from being startled by fireworks, they would have turned like avoiding a predator but if magnetic frequency was interrupted while in a flock they would have collided with each other and it would only effect birds that flew in a flock.

I don't know, I think I'd keep an open mind here. Has anyone ever heard of a flock of birds killing themselves avoiding a predator or being startled in to suicide by fireworks before? It still doesn't sound right to me. It stinks of cover up of an experiment or the earth having a magnetic problem of some sort.

I just found this:

CHICAGO (AFP) – Fright likely killed thousands of birds which dropped onto a small town in Arkansas, officials said Monday.

As many as 5,000 birds began falling over the small town of Beebe shortly before midnight on New Year's Eve.

"We right now are pretty confident that the trauma is what caused the die-off," said state veterinarian George Badley.

A local resident reported hearing about 20 loud booms Saturday night -- which could have been fireworks or a cannon to get rid of nuisance birds -- and saw a huge flock of frantic birds when he went outside.

Link

Okay well sorry. I don't read every post on here.

Anyways, I think they should just say they don't know how it happened, and move on. It seems kind of obvious with the bird incident that they aren't going to figure out how it happened, unless someone has a video of it. Trauma could be from anything, it could of happened when they fell or from weather or running into other birds because of confusion. At least with the fish they can check the water.

Hatch , yes to that....Go back to my reply with the explanation , and the link...Storms do this from time to time , and there is a article on a flock of birds that hit the ground trying to avoid a Sparrow or other Predator...Bad timing and scared....Death by low altitude loop :)

Here is one link

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40885546/ns/us_news-environment/

Here is one on Storms Killing Birds

It's not the first time birds have dropped from the Arkansas sky. Lightning killed ducks at Hot Springs in 2001 and hail knocked birds from the sky at Stuttgart in 1973 on the day before hunting season

http://abcnews.go.com/US/killed-thousands-black-birds-hundreds-thousands-drum-fish/story?id=12529390

And for the Sparrows or whatever they were flying into the ground.....

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=197848&view=findpost&p=3722675

Keep missing you on Skype hatch :( ......Hope all is well , I'll catch you on there sooner or later :)

Hi Sakari, I did read your posts and I don't doubt what you said for a minute but for all of them to drop out of the sky so suddenly still doesn't sound right to me. We see the same birds your talking about here too, the fluid way they move in a flock is mesmerizing to say the least! I will stare at them until they fly over me and poop in my hair!! :blink: It's just sooo many it's hard to believe that fireworks is what did it. They aren't saying it was a storm they said fireworks and that's what I'm having a problem with. Blunt force trauma means they probably were hit by each other and not flying debris, it was something the same mass as they were so it had to be each other. A storm has lightening and that could throw off their magnetic system but not fireworks. Hail well, hail is hail and it damages everything in it's path! But that wouldn't be blunt force trauma either, it would cut threw their skin like little water razors. They wouldn't have had fireworks if it was storming and if there was hail. I don't know if I'm explaining my self well here. I guess it will just have to suffice to say, DUH I don't get it!!

We will catch up on skype soon!!

Hatch.

It's also possible it was the weather. The weather was insane the past few days. It was hailing one minute, sunny the next, followed by more rain & sleet during the night.

*yes, I have family in AR, that's how I knew about the weather there.*

The news is suggesting fireworks & loud noise got to them. mind you, no one shot off fireworks in Beebee, according to a resident who was interviewed on CNN. They also said they woke up to the scene & didn't witness any birds falling.

Another resident was shown approaching some of the birds living in the wood-line near his house & they didn't fly off. In fact, they couldn't. They were acting sick. Another resident mentioned they were sitting in the road, unable to fly out of the way.

Edited by Ms. Anita Cigarette.

I've hunted birds (as well as other species of game) all my life and have never seen birds flying into each other - not even before, during, or after multiple blasts from several hunters equipped with pump and semi-automatic 12 gauge shotguns. Flocks during such times certainly lose any coherent structure and the birds "fly wild" in all directions, but a creature that is nearly weightless to begin with and used to being on full alert at all times wouldn't go postal on one another and crash. This goes for seaducks (scaup & eiders), crows, starlings, pigeons, mallards, canada and snow geese, or others. If those birds died in mid air, I'm guessing it was from something other than external factors. It may very well have been from some type of energy weapon or phenomenon.

I also think that losing over 100,000 fish not even 200 miles from where this occured is anything but coincidental. I have nothing else to go on, but at the moment I assume them to be connected somehow. Drum are mainly bottom dwellers - tough and hardy - and they do not require large amounts of oxygen in the water to survive. In that respect, they are like carp and catfish. Also, if oxygen deprived water conditions were a factor, then certainly other oxygen dependent species such as bass, crappie and others would have bellied up in droves as well.

Edited by DigitalSentinal

I've hunted birds (as well as other species of game) all my life and have never seen birds flying into each other - not even before, during, or after multiple blasts from several hunters equipped with pump and semi-automatic 12 gauge shotguns. Flocks during such times certainly lose any coherent structure and the birds "fly wild" in all directions, but a creature that is nearly weightless to begin with and used to being on full alert at all times wouldn't go postal on one another and crash.

Hey DS, normally I would agree with you here but apparently the incident happened at night, and people saw the dead birds in the morning. Daytime birds don't see well at night, that is why they roost. I have seen for myself a bird that was startled by a cat fly right into a tree trunk and kill itself, during daylight hours to boot. There is a reason why calling someone a 'bird brain' is considered derogatory. ^_^

100,000 dead birds,100,000 dead fish and a earthquake swarm thats been going on for months. What the heck is going on in Arkansas?