Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dead birds keep falling from the sky

ohio state buckeyes

Wow what a great video haha, awesome.

Anyways, I just never heard of certain birds not having good sight, or not having good senses in general. I'm not saying it's impossible, because I'm not a bird person, but it just seems like they HAVE to have good sight, especially good sight, because I mean they FLY haha, and good hearing, good senses as a whole or they would be toasted birds.

This just reminded me of one time I was sitting in my living room, and something hit the window, and my mom and I started laughing because we were like "WTH?", and then we realized it was a bird, but when we looked outside it wasn't there haha. We were amazed that it wasn't even hurt. I think it was a robin, but I'm not sure. My mom freaked out because she thought the window might have been scratched haha.

Edited by kelunexplained

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sakari

• jaymalteser

• S2F

• DigitalSentinal

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very cool video my friend. Is that a French Canadian accent lol sorry for the poke the vid was awesome :tu:

Yeah - French Canadian - even though English is my native tongue. Speak German too. Learning Spanish right now and man it's fun! :)

Yeah - French Canadian - even though English is my native tongue. Speak German too. Learning Spanish right now and man it's fun! :)

Ok, you just went up a few notches in my cool meter lol Good stuff :yes:

Did I say a movie gives more credibility? No I did not silly :no: i merely said it reminded me of the movie, in the begining when birds start dropping from the sky...

but as for my idea im gonna go with this :tu:http://www.suite101.com/content/earths-magnetic-fields-may-be-causing-bird-and-fish-die-off-a328353#ixzz1AEtsO8Pp

or the gulf crap

both fish and birds rely (sp) on magnetic fields. the truth is we really wont know whats causing it until all the tests come in but with cases coming from everywhere GLOBALLY its going to be a while :( poor birdies and fishies did anyone look at that map posted a few back?

http://nationalpostnews.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/web0105-dead-animals1.jpg gives us a really better view on exactly whats being affected i hope it gets updated

Don't feel too bad, I was going to say the same thing, lol. Although, what happens in the movie is complete BS, it was still interesting to compare.

I felt sick reading this thread. One reason: repetitive posts. Let's open the subject a bit more instead of repeating the same facts over and over again. People will always disagree with facts. It's one hell of an obligation to inform everyone, continuously. If they can't read or deduce by themselves, then screw em, I say!! :P

When I first heard of the birds, I didn't think much of it. There's really no mystery here. We must all be getting bored with the millions of real mysteries out there. :tu:

Wow what a great video haha, awesome.

Anyways, I just never heard of certain birds not having good sight, or not having good senses in general. I'm not saying it's impossible, because I'm not a bird person, but it just seems like they HAVE to have good sight, especially good sight, because I mean they FLY haha, and good hearing, good senses as a whole or they would be toasted birds.

This just reminded me of one time I was sitting in my living room, and something hit the window, and my mom and I started laughing because we were like "WTH?", and then we realized it was a bird, but when we looked outside it wasn't there haha. We were amazed that it wasn't even hurt. I think it was a robin, but I'm not sure. My mom freaked out because she thought the window might have been scratched haha.

Well, they are toasted now, aren't they? sad.gif

I had a bird fly into my window a few years ago, It hit hard then jumped back up onto the fence and literally sat there and didn't move for hours. ohmy.gif

lol

"You could not be more wrong , you are posting complete opinions , and no facts.

You are comparing apples to oranges , gulls can see better at night , so can Geese ( cannons used at airports for geese )...They are not lighting fireworks under the roosts of blackbirds now are they?.....This is a isolated incident , and the answer to ONE incident , not all of them.....

You are 100% wrong about starlings and blackbirds.....Do we believe College Professors that teach this type of thing and study it , or a post from you?......They CAN NOT SEE WELL AT NIGHT , this is why they flew into buildings , trees , windows , basketball backboards , etc."

I dare you to try to walk underneath a starling roost at night undetected. I'm a birder. I know. Hell,

to see me in action being a birdbrain (you'll laugh cuz it's funny). In addition to crows, I also call ravens, hawks, eagles, squirrels, predators, elk, deer, moose, etc with my mouth and voicebox alone. You can trust me on this. I KNOW birds. A college professor in his office or lab knows less than outdoorsmen who are outdoors consistantly and in conditions too adverse for others.

In my opinion, you are accepting the official and prosaic explanation simply because it is what you feel you can accept. In other words...you are closed minded.

No offense on any of what I said or say , I think your calling is very talented , I have to use calls , so I know how hard that is to learn....

I still stand by saying you are wrong about the not having good site at night.Black birds do not have good sight during night , not at all.That is a fact.

Ohio State Buckeys posted a very good link that sums up everything I posted ( without all of the links and facts of numbers ) , and he stated he did not realise the numbers , and how common it is , until reading it...Maybe some people will believe his link , and see that I was not making things up.

I guess I will try to stop posting the facts , either people are going to use their heads and see the facts , or they are going to be hard headed and stick with what they want to believe.Facts can not change that.

Again , I admire your calling abilities , and I agree with you in some cases on Outdoorsman knowing more ( I bow Hunted for 20 years ).....I do however say your not correct on the eye site , but hey , posting facts over and over again obviously will not convince you :)

It will be hard , I hate to see a bunch of " hunch's " and mis-information posted on topics....Will see just how long I can hold back , no guarantee....

Here is Ohio's link , nice one , good way to sum this all up............

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=12559297

Birds are very sensitive to atmospheric changes because their lives are directly connected to it in a profound way. Something changed quite radically in the atmosphere for this to happen. To me its an omen. A sign that things are not good with the Earth.

There is no way that all these birds could be be dying because of anything humans have done.

Its unfathomablebable.

We never poison the natural environment and cause thousands of humans to get sick.

So why should we do it to birds and fish?

Money and power over others aren't the most important things in the world.

We care about stuff outside the realm of our own personal gratification.

Don't believe me? Watch TV. The news outlets will set you straight.

And if it doesn't sink in at first, just keep watching.

Eventually something will come along that will shock you into the real reality of really realistic realism with a pretty flag on top.

And then you will see my point, because you will be too concerned to think any other way than the right way.

But it seems that most of you already understand that.

People just believe want they want to believe, so oh well. Some people don't even listen to people who spend time watching birds, so oh well once again.

Although I'm sure there is explanation, I still think they couldn't find anything at the lab, other than the trauma stuff, so they decided to go with the fireworks theory. I'm sure it was something else, maybe weather related. People are very thick headed :rolleyes:, so no point in discussing this any longer for me, I don't want to see the same stuff posted over and over haha.

When I read the comment in the news about the birds not having good eyesight I was a little taken aback. I had never heard such an assertion. From what I learned in school birds have excellent eysight with the military going so far as training pigeons for ocean rescue because they were better able to see the small "targets" in the vastness of the open water. I suppose some birds species may have better abilities than others, but I was shocked by the statement.

When the first report came from Arkansas about the birds die-off there I put it down to volcanic activity; perhaps a natural gas cloud. The fish report from a nearby area could also have been gas related. But when the beasties began to fall down/wash up in rather farflung sites I had to revise my thinking somewhat. Perhaps the problem is a combination of things. Volcanic activity in one area, pollution/poison in another; with climate change rounding out the trifecta.

Or, maybe my late night, too much coffee and stress musings are closer to the truth. The planet is gone to **** and we are next. Have a good day. :blink:

Edited by jaguarsky

Except in this case it isn't the media at all. It's us, you and me and all the other forumites arguing over the same points over and over and over again (nods at Sakari). Because there has been virtually ZERO news coverage of any of these 'events' in the MsM. Regardless, I think you are quite right.

It's getting pretty heavy coverage here in the States - just this morning I heard a discussion on my morning drive station with several scientists talking through the issue.

BTW, they agreed with me. These things happen all of the time all over the world. It's just getting covered now because it's the hot topic.

Don't feel too bad, I was going to say the same thing, lol. Although, what happens in the movie is complete BS, it was still interesting to compare.

I felt sick reading this thread. One reason: repetitive posts. Let's open the subject a bit more instead of repeating the same facts over and over again. People will always disagree with facts. It's one hell of an obligation to inform everyone, continuously. If they can't read or deduce by themselves, then screw em, I say!! :P

When I first heard of the birds, I didn't think much of it. There's really no mystery here. We must all be getting bored with the millions of real mysteries out there. :tu:

Just so everyone knows.. I actually posted this. I didn't realize my brother in-law was logged in!! So, his view may b different then mine! :rofl:

Again , I admire your calling abilities , and I agree with you in some cases on Outdoorsman knowing more ( I bow Hunted for 20 years ).....

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=12559297

Well, we may not agree, but at least we have something in common. I used to shoot a 65 lb custom longbow (yew and a few other woods I forget). Made my own arrows too. Now most of my shooting is done with a Nikon.

arkansas weather radar shows something unusual around time birds fell.

i can't watch the video right now. :( thoughts?

Now THAT is worthy. Factor in as well that witnesses stated that the birds were flying abnormally low that evening - hitting mailboxes and cars. Perhaps they were flying UNDER something trying to avoid it?

Heh heh...I love Independence Day type scenarios...

It's a sign. We will leave it at that.

It's a sign. We will leave it at that.

a sign of what? I love when weird stuff like this happens and I get to read all the crazy things people think is really happening.

People just believe want they want to believe, so oh well. Some people don't even listen to people who spend time watching birds, so oh well once again.

Although I'm sure there is explanation, I still think they couldn't find anything at the lab, other than the trauma stuff, so they decided to go with the fireworks theory. I'm sure it was something else, maybe weather related. People are very thick headed :rolleyes:, so no point in discussing this any longer for me, I don't want to see the same stuff posted over and over haha.

Some people do not listen to witnesses and facts either :)

When I read the comment in the news about the birds not having good eyesight I was a little taken aback. I had never heard such an assertion. From what I learned in school birds have excellent eysight with the military going so far as training pigeons for ocean rescue because they were better able to see the small "targets" in the vastness of the open water. I suppose some birds species may have better abilities than others, but I was shocked by the statement.

When the first report came from Arkansas about the birds die-off there I put it down to volcanic activity; perhaps a natural gas cloud. The fish report from a nearby area could also have been gas related. But when the beasties began to fall down/wash up in rather farflung sites I had to revise my thinking somewhat. Perhaps the problem is a combination of things. Volcanic activity in one area, pollution/poison in another; with climate change rounding out the trifecta.

Or, maybe my late night, too much coffee and stress musings are closer to the truth. The planet is gone to **** and we are next. Have a good day. :blink:

Read about eyesight below....

Well, we may not agree, but at least we have something in common. I used to shoot a 65 lb custom longbow (yew and a few other woods I forget). Made my own arrows too. Now most of my shooting is done with a Nikon.

DS ,

Longbow huh?....That is impressive.I couldn't get accurate with one , stuck with a compound.( man , the compounds now , a housewife could pick one up and be hitting a paper plate ate 30 yards accuratley within 5 shots ).....

Anyway , I want to clarify what I said about vision , I am not sure that I even said this , but if I said they CAN"T see at night , that is wrong.

They can not see well at night , not good at all.Not sure how I said it.Not like they sit in trees blind in the dark , my point was they can not see well enough to fly around in the dark without hitting obstacles.Most ( not all ) birds will not fly at night for this reason , and I think you will agree with that....

"The blackbirds were flying at rooftop level instead of treetop level" to avoid explosions above, said Karen Rowe, an ornithologist with the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission. "Blackbirds have poor eyesight, and they started colliding with things."

Sakari, look at the video. Many of these Blackbirds were upside down on the road directly within the community, indicating that these particular individuals probably died ABOVE the road. If fireworks were in that area that night, then they would have been VERY close to the houses that evening, and probably above the road. Witnesses would also have come forward stating that fireworks were heard rather than "loud sounds".

Edited by DigitalSentinal

I can't take it.....

Let's through in more Wildlife deaths shall we?

20110108_WOC869.gif

Notice all have a cause except the Arkansas incident , the chart was done earlier....It is safe to say now all of those causes were found to be nothing out of the norm....The Arkansas would be out of norm , but lighting fireworks under roosting birds is not normal.

Ok , a little more info to show this is not un-heard of , nor the biggest kill....

While the incident was alarming, it is not unprecedented, according to America’s National Wildlife Health Centre which monitors wildlife mortality events across America. One of the biggest such events occurred in 1986, when 30,000 Ohioan blackbirds and starlings were poisoned over a period of eight days.

My link

This next link , if used , would knock off 9/10's of these posts......Anyone can go there and most likely find the case they found on Google , and find the cause of it.....As said " if used ".....

I urge people to check it out , ease your fears......

</h1>

<h1 align="left">New and Ongoing Wildlife Mortality Events Nationwide

USGS and a network of partners across the country work on documenting wildlife mortality events in order to provide timely and accurate information on locations, species and causes of death. This information is used by natural resource managers, researchers, public health officials and legislators to help design disease prevention and mitigation strategies, to address interconnections between human, domestic animal and wildlife disease, and to assist in identification of 'normal' disease issues vs. biosecurity concerns.

My link

Fears? What fears? I WANT huge motherships to show up all around the world. I really do. I admit that the case for that is weak in this instance, but yeah - I really want huge Indenpendence style mass sightings all over the planet. I'm tired of all this seesawing back and forth on the issue. I want some decision making and closure, damnit!

SHOW UP! I DARE YA!!!

:w00t:

there were 5,000 birds in arkansas, not 3,000. seems like that chart is off, or maybe i'm reading it wrong.

it may not be strange that they died, but how they died is pretty odd.

Edited by her.