Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dead birds keep falling from the sky

ohio state buckeyes

Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area.

Commission ornithologist Karen Rowe said the birds showed physical trauma, and she speculated that "the flock could have been hit by lightning or high-altitude hail.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sakari

• jaymalteser

• S2F

• DigitalSentinal

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wonder what exactly was meant by "showed physical trauma." Sixty or so birds were collected for further examination, so I wonder, if they were dead, what they mean by this?

Fox news also had this story My link

I think it says basically the same things. Kind of creepy, but they said it could have been stress caused by fireworks.

Where's Alfred Hitchcock?

:lol: You don't think his plan to turn bird against man has finally come to fruition do you?

Single dead birds can be found routinely. It is not a good idea to handle dead birds you may find. Usually birds do not die in mass. On the flip side it sometimes is easier to determine the cause when there are multiple deaths in one spot. Ducks will die from ingesting lead pellets (not suppose to use these) and many will die. Water birds are poisoned to keep them from eating the pond animals that are being raised for food. Many times the persons that do this will leave behind evidence because if you poison birds and other animals like raccoons and otters you will usually litter and this will be the bag the poison was carried in with such as carbofuran. A necropsy will be done to look for signs of what may have happened. Truth is they were blackbirds and the big concern is disease which once ruled out will bump the case to low priority. Hope it was nature that caused the deaths.

I think there was another thread quite a while ago on this forum where this same thing happened. Too lazy to look for it right now though. :P

Single dead birds can be found routinely. It is not a good idea to handle dead birds you may find. Usually birds do not die in mass. On the flip side it sometimes is easier to determine the cause when there are multiple deaths in one spot. Ducks will die from ingesting lead pellets (not suppose to use these) and many will die. Water birds are poisoned to keep them from eating the pond animals that are being raised for food. Many times the persons that do this will leave behind evidence because if you poison birds and other animals like raccoons and otters you will usually litter and this will be the bag the poison was carried in with such as carbofuran. A necropsy will be done to look for signs of what may have happened. Truth is they were blackbirds and the big concern is disease which once ruled out will bump the case to low priority. Hope it was nature that caused the deaths.

To me a 1000 birds just dont fall out of the sky with physical trauma. You haft to wonder if they didnt fly into something cloaked.

I think there was another thread quite a while ago on this forum where this same thing happened. Too lazy to look for it right now though. :P

It was in India i think but cant find anything on it.

I remember reading stories like this on here before too. I've found this, but it's not the one I was thinking of. I'm sure there was a more recent one and I think it was me who posted it.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=89948&st=0&p=1691279&hl=dead%20birds%20fall%20from%20sky&fromsearch=1entry1691279

I'll come back if I find it!

I would think that poison could easily be ruled out......What would the chances of 1000 birds all croaking mid flight at the same time from poison be?......

I heard they have very large shot guns there :)

Hail or Lightning sounds like the best educated guess for now.

And why only blackbirds? Something that could kill a blackbird in mid flight must surely be able to kill other species too, hmmmm. I go with "virus" and bet they didn't actually fall out of the sky at precisely the same time. Poor blackbirds.

well what about a new disease that is killing birds

Yeah, I thought of natural gas being the problem too.

(not the farting kind, mind you)

=)

My guess is, the birds ate the dead fish.....

Edited by Coffey

My guess is, the birds ate the dead fish.....

Black birds dont eat dead fish.

Hmmm, I'm betting on poison, they probably drank from a polluted water source or something. They all more than likely didn't croak at the same time, I imagine they're scattered about quite a bit. Some of them probably survived as well.

Edited by SpiderCyde

I'm struggling with either gasses or viruses. I can't see either being sufficiently fast-acting to knock down a flock 'in flight'. And according to the reports, thats pretty much what happened. (the bodies are only scattered over a radius of a kilometer or two, and it happened virtually overnight).

A virus or gas would have to be PHENOMENALLY lethal to do that, and very fast-acting. In addition, surely it would have effected other animals apart from blackbirds ?

Oh.. and those fish ? They where over 100 miles away from Beebe.

Hmmm....

meow purr :)

Edited by ships-cat

Black birds dont eat dead fish.

If we take this as evidence of a Blackbird catching a small fish and eating it, then I think they would easily eat a bigger fish which they found dead.

My link

So I stick by my theory.