Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientific explanation for Ghosts?

DougWood

I don't really believe in the ghosts, probably because I've never experienced anything supernatural. However, my girlfriend is an absolute believer, claiming she saw a ghost when she was 15. Any attempts to try and reason with her gets her angry, and then we get in an argument. She's level headed, extremely bright, and a college graduate. But when it comes to ghosts... :P

So what do you guys think of this?

There may be an explanation for things like ghosts and hauntings. And it's not your mind simply playing tricks on you.

Are you hearing weird sounds, briefly seeing ghostly images, feel a presence in the room with you, or an inexplicable and sudden sense of overwhelming fear?

It just might be infrasound.

Scientific explanation for ghosts?

Can anyone with a science background confirm? Is there any truth to infrasound being the reason?

Edited by DougWood

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Paranormal Skeptic

• vitruvian12

• Ignus Fatuus

• DougWood

That might be a good explanation for some experiences. But I dont know if it would also cause the auditory experiences. And what about video? I dont believe in ghosts either but to me the biggest cause of sightings is an active imagination and the desire for it to be true

The information I have read regarding infrasound usually always references Tandy's experiments, as in your linked article. I have also heard of experiments where infrasound was played in the background during a movie or concert without the audience being aware of the "test", and many of them experienced feelings of great sorrow and distress, or sensed a "presence". I also have to agree with Vitruvian, however, that the power of suggestion and a desire to believe also plays a big part in many ghost experiences.

That might be a good explanation for some experiences. But I dont know if it would also cause the auditory experiences. And what about video? I dont believe in ghosts either but to me the biggest cause of sightings is an active imagination and the desire for it to be true

The preconcieved notions are a big part. I remember an episode of mystery hunters (yes, im using it as an example), and they had some kids come into an underground cellar type of place, and they had already told the children the place was haunted and hinted at the fact during the tour with "whoa. what was that? Did anyone see that? Who heard that?" etc. The kids were convinced something spooky was going on despite being totally set up.

So, people going to a place, at night, which is claimed to be "haunted" are sure to let their imaginations get the best of them.

I saw an article once where someone witnessed wood and steal 'merging' and they said that the fan in that place was producing sound waves around 3-8 Hz (which isn't in the human hearing rang) and that can cause 'hallucinations'.

But I have a different idea about ghosts: There a theories about multiple universes (omniverse, multiverse). These 'verses' lay next to each other or can even coexist in the same space. We humans can only witness 4 dimensions. If a human soul (which cannot be explained through science) will ascent into a different dimension when the person passes away we will not be able to 'notice'. But these dimensional souls will have the knowledge of the multiple dimensions and can travel through more than the four we can witness. When this soul comes into the 4 dimensions we know we can see them, and when they go into a 5th dimension we cannot see them. This way they can coexist everywhere with us, sometimes visible, but most times not visible.

Edited by Tsubasa_Zero

"A good portion of the population is also thought to be hypersensitive to these low frequencies. Infrasound can cause bizarre effects, including nausea, extreme fear or awe, anxiety and chills. Researchers also believe it affects vision by causing vibrations of the eyeball. These vibrations can cause you to ‘see’ ghosts."

This reminds me of the "scientific evidence" that people can be emf hypersensitive, which is crap, no such disorder exists. I will have to look more into this but my first thought that infrasound hypersensitivity is bs.

double post

Edited by The Paranormal Skeptic

"A good portion of the population is also thought to be hypersensitive to these low frequencies. Infrasound can cause bizarre effects, including nausea, extreme fear or awe, anxiety and chills. Researchers also believe it affects vision by causing vibrations of the eyeball. These vibrations can cause you to ‘see’ ghosts."

This reminds me of the "scientific evidence" that people can be emf hypersensitive, which is crap, no such disorder exists. I will have to look more into this but my first thought that infrasound hypersensitivity is bs.

Talk to an actual EMF Sensitive and tell them its crap. The WHO World Health Organization believes it so ... so why can't people who actually do not have the condition???

As for me .. it is all about EMF's. The Earths natural EMF's. Wish I had more time to give ample evidence, yet I do not at the time. All I know is that Native Americans believed in such spirits. Where were most of their sacred grounds??? Grounds where they buried their dead??? Walk the fault line here in the Boog and you'll find most of the graves above it ... and things which should not be.

I still am not a firm believer in ghosts. I will say however that indians were not geologists .. so how did they know where the fault line was??? Hmmm ... guess they were geologists :blink:

Talk to an actual EMF Sensitive and tell them its crap. The WHO World Health Organization believes it so ... so why can't people who actually do not have the condition???

As for me .. it is all about EMF's. The Earths natural EMF's. Wish I had more time to give ample evidence, yet I do not at the time. All I know is that Native Americans believed in such spirits. Where were most of their sacred grounds??? Grounds where they buried their dead??? Walk the fault line here in the Boog and you'll find most of the graves above it ... and things which should not be.

I still am not a firm believer in ghosts. I will say however that indians were not geologists .. so how did they know where the fault line was??? Hmmm ... guess they were geologists :blink:

The WHO’s stance on emf effecting health is that the POSSIBILITY of it may be true, as of now there is no real disorder called EMF hypersensitivity. I have consulted many doctors including neurologists on this topic, one being Dr. Steven Novella out of Princeton University. There have been many double blinded tests in which people who claim to have this pseudo disorder cannot tell the difference between rooms with no emf currents and others with rooms that have high emf currents. Another test was done with a fake cell phone tower. One was constructed people started complaining about headaches and other disorders and come to find out it was a fake tower. Its psychosomatic, I am not say the symptoms are not real, but the research shows that its most likely stress induced.

Do you have anything to support this idea other than your say so?

Also this isn’t a scientific explanation, it’s not even a theory, it’s a hypothesis at best.

The WHO’s stance on emf effecting health is that the POSSIBILITY of it may be true, as of now there is no real disorder called EMF hypersensitivity. I have consulted many doctors including neurologists on this topic, one being Dr. Steven Novella out of Princeton University. There have been many double blinded tests in which people who claim to have this pseudo disorder cannot tell the difference between rooms with no emf currents and others with rooms that have high emf currents. Another test was done with a fake cell phone tower. One was constructed people started complaining about headaches and other disorders and come to find out it was a fake tower. Its psychosomatic, I am not say the symptoms are not real, but the research shows that its most likely stress induced.

From my teaching experience .. at least when I taught elementary was that children do not lie when it comes to certain things. I have not only had a student who was electromagnetic sensitive but also a family member. Certain places .. such as along strong power lines or near tv's, microwaves would make both of them naucious and cause headaches. There may not be a "justified" and proof positive sensitivity .. but there is one, hands down.

These scientists should do their work with children. Enables them more to take out the placebo effect. Hell, I still would not believe this to be if it was not for Jeff and Cassie. Yet I have seen ... and I believe something is up. So do millions of people "WHO" suffer around the world. It is just like the theory that certain geological conditions distort and amplify the earths natural EMF's. We cannot prove this with modern technology .. yet again we cannot disprove it either.

For me, the only correlations I have is Earthlights, accoustic bangs and where they are seen. Still not a believer in ghosts I again correlate the burials of Native Americans which in the Boog are mostly around the Fault line here which meanders and twists for miles through here. Over 80 percent "I guarantee" of the burials I have found are within a hundred yards of this fault .. if not directly on top of it. Were the Native Americans geologists .. or dowsers??? Has to be one or the other.

Do you have anything to support this idea other than your say so?

Just personal correlations and a few links to sites dealing with history and science. I have discovered from these debates during the past eleven years that it would not matter what I have seen, felt, heard ... even strong and hard correlations are not proof in the mind of science. Still, I know what I have seen and heard. I also know others have seen and heard the same here. Many times they saw and heard the same things as they were with me.

Locals here have thought of the Boog as being haunted since the 1800's here. I understand why ... yet beyond having many links with correlations very similar to mine, I have nothing. With parapsychology, nothing at this time can be proven. All I have is my word. Which for those who have never seen and heard is simply not enough.

Want a few of these links??? All ya have to do is ask. I will supply!!! Cherrios to you.

I don't really believe in the ghosts, probably because I've never experienced anything supernatural. However, my girlfriend is an absolute believer, claiming she saw a ghost when she was 15. Any attempts to try and reason with her gets her angry, and then we get in an argument. She's level headed, extremely bright, and a college graduate. But when it comes to ghosts... :P

Just out of curiosty, if, as you say, your girlfriend is otherwise "level headed, extremely bright and a college graduate" why do you have such a problem with this one area of her life that she would prefer to believe in and not agree with you on 100%? Are you trying to mold her into someone that agrees with everything you say/believe?

Edited by Scáthach

"A good portion of the population is also thought to be hypersensitive to these low frequencies. Infrasound can cause bizarre effects, including nausea, extreme fear or awe, anxiety and chills. Researchers also believe it affects vision by causing vibrations of the eyeball. These vibrations can cause you to 'see' ghosts."

I have seen one and only one full figure apparition, much to my disappointment. I will however feel chills, see shadows flit past in the corners of my eyes, etc. But as for the other symptoms, I don't have any of the anxiety, nausea extreme fear, etc.. I am not afraid of ghosts, never have been and if I see a shadow flit past, I will try to chase it down. lol I don't particularly feel awe either, I mean I think it's really cool, but that's it. It may be that seeing ghosts is a family tradition, my grandmother saw quite a few in her lifetime (hence my disappointment on only seeing one so far, lol). But I don't think that would explain the lack of the so-called symptoms of this "sensitivity".

Oh and btw, the ghost I saw was at work, on the graveyard shift (no I wasn't sleeping, it's a call center so you are answering the phones at night). I was getting up to get another cup of coffee, turned around and there he was, just standing there. A slender man in a flannel shirt and blue jeans, brownish collar length hair. I saw his profile as clear as day. There were only two of us in the building and the other operator was sitting next to me on the phone. He disappeared after about 30 seconds, like he sensed he got caught. lol There were a lot of unexplained sounds and shadows in the building and everyone on the evening and grave shift had heard odd things. But as far as I know, I am the only one to have actually seen him. I didn't get scared, I got excited that I finally got to see a real ghost! lol

I have seen one and only one full figure apparition, much to my disappointment. I will however feel chills, see shadows flit past in the corners of my eyes, etc. But as for the other symptoms, I don't have any of the anxiety, nausea extreme fear, etc.. I am not afraid of ghosts, never have been and if I see a shadow flit past, I will try to chase it down. lol I don't particularly feel awe either, I mean I think it's really cool, but that's it. It may be that seeing ghosts is a family tradition, my grandmother saw quite a few in her lifetime (hence my disappointment on only seeing one so far, lol). But I don't think that would explain the lack of the so-called symptoms of this "sensitivity".

Oh and btw, the ghost I saw was at work, on the graveyard shift (no I wasn't sleeping, it's a call center so you are answering the phones at night). I was getting up to get another cup of coffee, turned around and there he was, just standing there. A slender man in a flannel shirt and blue jeans, brownish collar length hair. I saw his profile as clear as day. There were only two of us in the building and the other operator was sitting next to me on the phone. He disappeared after about 30 seconds, like he sensed he got caught. lol There were a lot of unexplained sounds and shadows in the building and everyone on the evening and grave shift had heard odd things. But as far as I know, I am the only one to have actually seen him. I didn't get scared, I got excited that I finally got to see a real ghost! lol

i was quoting the article, personally I think its nonsense.

i was quoting the article, personally I think its nonsense.

Most is nonsense PS ... yet sometimes the things which should not be, are.

Still I have my question which would answer everything. Earthlights before Native American burials or Earthlights came after the burials. Only thing I do know is that these lights are real. Did the Natives bury their dead after seeing these spirit orbs??? I believe so.

I believe that these "ghosts" are bioplasmic in origin. They follow manmade roads, seem to play with each other ... or possibly be mating .. :blush:

Yet they are here among thousands of Native American burials. Hope science can answer these questions soon!!!

The problem is, the evidence is there. It is reproducible. It made a sword vibrate chaotically in the middle of the room if you read the report. Yet the guy in the room could feel nothing. A force capable of making a sword noticeably vibrate, yet not felt directly? Pretty sure that would have an interesting effect on humans.

That's the part that interests me.

Edit: If it can do that, wonder what else it can do...

Edited by DougWood

The problem is, the evidence is there. It is reproducible. It made a sword vibrate chaotically in the middle of the room if you read the report. Yet the guy in the room could feel nothing. A force capable of making a sword noticeably vibrate, yet not felt directly? Pretty sure that would have an interesting effect on humans.

That's the part that interests me.

Edit: If it can do that, wonder what else it can do...

Again this claim is an assumption, there are no facts here. There is no facts that support EMF hypersensitivity exists, in fact the EVIDENCE shows it doesn’t exist, it is stress induced by people who believe they are EMF hypersensitive.

This article you have presented is nothing more than a person making some type of “possible” claim; this is not scientific like the title of your thread claims. I haven’t done much research into the claim of infrasound and its effects on humans, but what I have found are all assumptions. Assumptions are not science.

Can anyone with a science background confirm? Is there any truth to infrasound being the reason?

i belive

Sounds reasonable. The average human ear cuts off at around 25hz. Some people have 'golden ears', which means they will be able to register a few notes deeper. But, at 1 -20Hz, we won't really be able to hear it, but we will be able to feel it physically. I know this, not because i have any scientific knowledge, but because i have a homebuild subwoofer/bassbox, that plays down to 17hz. When set to 30hz i can hear it, but when i turn it down to 17hz my hearing cuts off but i can feel the vibrations physically on my body, definitely.

So, if a large wave of infrasound is produced across you, it could probably mess a bit with your senses, making you feel things that aren't really there. But i don't buy the idea of the infrasound messing with your eyeballs, making you see ghosts. The 'ghosts' that some people describe doesn't really match with whatever you would be able to 'see' when struck by infrasound. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Ultimatium

Sounds reasonable. The average human ear cuts off at around 25hz. Some people have 'golden ears', which means they will be able to register a few notes deeper. But, at 1 -20Hz, we won't really be able to hear it, but we will be able to feel it physically. I know this, not because i have any scientific knowledge, but because i have a homebuild subwoofer/bassbox, that plays down to 17hz. When set to 30hz i can hear it, but when i turn it down to 17hz my hearing cuts off but i can feel the vibrations physically on my body, definitely.

So, if a large wave of infrasound is produced across you, it could probably mess a bit with your senses, making you feel things that aren't really there. But i don't buy the idea of the infrasound messing with your eyeballs, making you see ghosts. The 'ghosts' that some people describe doesn't really match with whatever you would be able to 'see' when struck by infrasound. Just my 2 cents.

Wow ... that was deep!!! :tu:

Just like here in the Boog where you can produce a noise and three seconds later the echo will sometimes bounce back. Only much deeper and "MUCH" louder than the noise you produced.

Still even in the middle of thousands of Native American burials .. and seeing earthlights and hearing these accousic bangs, I am not one to admit I believe in ghosts.

Yet .. something screwy is out there. Maybe they are spirits, yet I believe from experience that they are alive. Would ghosts follow manmade roads??? Just my 2 cents.

Ghosts are simply cerebral toxins, a by-product of clandestine subterranean lab facilities applying synthetic telepathic/neuro-impulse weapons. Scientists construct thought viruses and trasmit them to the Human Mind. These artifical images bypass the retina and optic nerve and are affixed to the visual portion of the cerebral cortex. If you resist, they'll terrorize you.