Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Study tying vaccine to autism was fraud

Mac E

This is not court, this is science. If you want to support or replicate Wakefield's claim that these studies replicate his work, then you need to provide a reference to said studies........It is not upon those asking for supporting evidence to support your claim for you.

Here this is from the forum guidelines;

You should maybe familiarize yourself with how science is done and claims are handled before jumping headlong into something you clearly don't understand.

This is what I said - "Wakefield has said there are five studies that claimed they did replicate his findings"

my claim in post #45 is that Wakefield has cited 5 studies. I provided a video where he states this, so i have provided support for my claim, and I do not retract my claim despite your insistance. I can't stop you from distorting or misunderstanding my claim.

Little Fish, I don't really see any further point to this discussion, unless or until you are willing to support your views with evidence from a respectable source. If/when such a thing were to occur, I'd more than happy to take a look at those sources as a member of the medical community. Until such a time, I see you only using this topic as a spring board to fan the flaming pile of **** that the anti-vacc "movement" has become.

Wakefield is pro vaccine, yet you say he is part of an "anti-vaccine movement".

I would prefer some discussion on the science, I don't see that as possible here with the morass of hostile bloated rhetoric being thrown around.

What makes you think science can make them any safer than they already are?

There is no medical reason why Thimerosal mercury is in vaccines. it has been shown to be extremely neurotoxic causing mitochondrial dysfunction and brain cell death in the test tube, and has been shown to pass through the blood brain barrier.

Wakefield was dishonest and lazy.
He has convincingly rebutted Brian Deer's accusations two years ago, there seems to be little substance to Deers allegations.

http://www.rescuepost.com/files/deer-response.pdf

Are you supposing a conspiracy?
After reviewing the evidence, I think it unlikely that these charges hold water. It looks to me like he is being scapegoated to protect vaccine policy, based on the bureaucratic logic of a lesser evil is acceptable to prevent a greater evil. Edited by Little Fish

I think that the most telling evidence of fraud is that in over a decade of attempting to do so, there have been a grand total of ZERO studies and trials that have been able to duplicate Wakefield's results.

This is the scientific method in toto... you do a study, document EVERYTHING, and then others try to either support you or knock you off your pedestal by failing to match your results. Thus far, there have been NO scientists that have supported Wakefield... which means that either his study was a total fluke - OR that he fudged the results.

By reviewing his notes, it really appears that it was the latter. This is so fraudulent that it's spelled, "FRAWD".

referenced from here

"The claim to have detected a possible new syndrome was valid and, in contrast with Deer’ false claim, is supported by confirmation of the original findings by others 5

5 Gonzalez, L., et al., Endoscopic and Histological Characteristics of the Digestive Mucosa in Autistic Children with gastro-Intestinal Symptoms: A Preliminary Report. GEN Suplemento Especial de Pediatria, 2005;1:41-47.

Balzola, F., et al., Panenteric IBD-like disease in a patient with regressive autism shown for the first time by wireless capsule enteroscopy: Another piece in the jig-saw of the gut-brain syndrome? American Journal of Gastroenterology, 2005. 100(4): p. 979- 981."

There is no medical reason why Thimerosal mercury is in vaccines. it has been shown to be extremely neurotoxic causing mitochondrial dysfunction and brain cell death in the test tube, and has been shown to pass through the blood brain barrier.

He has convincingly rebutted Brian Deer's accusations two years ago, there seems to be little substance to Deers allegations.

After reviewing the evidence, I think it unlikely that these charges hold water. It looks to me like he is being scapegoated to protect vaccine policy, based on the bureaucratic logic of a lesser evil is acceptable to prevent a greater evil.

Thimerosal has has had a very useful purpose in vaccines as a preservative, anti-fungal, antibacterial.

I don't care what Wakefield says in his defence -- his science is proven faulty by solid peer review.

Making your huge assumption -- what would be the purpose of such a conspiracy? Medicine doesn't need a convenient scapegoat to accept a lesser evil - they do it all the time, taking calculated risks with almost all treatments for almost everything. Making an assumption of a conspiracy is itself illogical.

This statement by Deerfield really calls Wakefields credibility into question:

"Since the Royal Free ejected him in October 2001, Andrew Wakefield first re-emerged as "research director" of the self-styled International Child Development Resource Center, in Florida, which sells expensive products for autism, including enzymes and purported "genetic tests". He was then installed at Thoughtful House in Austin, Texas, earning $280,000 a year

More info here: http://briandeer.com/wakefield/wakefield-quack.htm

How has this ethical man of science turned into a snake oil salesman? Simply, he's a charlatan.

This is what I said - "Wakefield has said there are five studies that claimed they did replicate his findings"

my claim in post #45 is that Wakefield has cited 5 studies. I provided a video where he states this, so i have provided support for my claim, and I do not retract my claim despite your insistance. I can't stop you from distorting or misunderstanding my claim.

Do you know what a "cite" is, Little Fish?

If I MENTION a unicorn in my yard, that is just a passing mention. A link to a PICTURE is a cite.

If Wakefield said there are thousands of studies that support his claims and doesn't mention who sponsored them, conducted them, or where they were done, then it's just a MENTION of some studies. If, however, he said, "In Johnson and Dudley's study on Autism rates in toddlers done in 2001 in Stockholm, they clearly supported my claims," then THAT is a cite.

It's similar to an alibi.

The accusation has been made that he lied and faked his data. He makes a claim that, "Nope, other people supported it," but doesn't offer any info to verify that comment. His alibi is NOT supported nor watertight.

Oh, and your ignorance of the use of Thimerosal as a preservative shows that you have really done no research on this topic. Whether or not it has on affect on humans notwithstanding, it is an EXCELLENT preservative... which then brings us to the difference between organic and inorganic mercury compounds. (hint - Thimerosal is actually SAFE)

Do you know what a "cite" is, Little Fish?

If I MENTION a unicorn in my yard, that is just a passing mention. A link to a PICTURE is a cite.

If Wakefield said there are thousands of studies that support his claims and doesn't mention who sponsored them, conducted them, or where they were done, then it's just a MENTION of some studies. If, however, he said, "In Johnson and Dudley's study on Autism rates in toddlers done in 2001 in Stockholm, they clearly supported my claims," then THAT is a cite.

definition given here of "cited" means "To mention or bring forward as support"

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/cited

your argument is not with me, but with the dictionary.

It's similar to an alibi.

The accusation has been made that he lied and faked his data. He makes a claim that, "Nope, other people supported it," but doesn't offer any info to verify that comment. His alibi is NOT supported nor watertight.

he addressed it 2 years ago

referenced from here

"The claim to have detected a possible new syndrome was valid and, in contrast with Deer’ false claim, is supported by confirmation of the original findings by others 5

5 Gonzalez, L., et al., Endoscopic and Histological Characteristics of the Digestive Mucosa in Autistic Children with gastro-Intestinal Symptoms: A Preliminary Report. GEN Suplemento Especial de Pediatria, 2005;1:41-47.

Balzola, F., et al., Panenteric IBD-like disease in a patient with regressive autism shown for the first time by wireless capsule enteroscopy: Another piece in the jig-saw of the gut-brain syndrome? American Journal of Gastroenterology, 2005. 100(4): p. 979- 981."

Oh, and your ignorance of the use of Thimerosal as a preservative shows that you have really done no research on this topic. Whether or not it has on affect on humans notwithstanding, it is an EXCELLENT preservative... which then brings us to the difference between organic and inorganic mercury compounds. (hint - Thimerosal is actually SAFE)

I am not ignorant of the use of Thimerosal as a preservative, I don't know where you got that from. Thimerosal is not a necessary ingredient for the function of a vaccine.

Thimerosal contains organic mercury.

"Each form of mercury has its own toxicological profile, although, in general terms, the toxicity of these forms is highest with the organic mercury compounds, followed by elemental mercury and inorganic mercury compounds."

http://copublications.greenfacts.org/en/dental-amalgam/l-3/3-mercury-exposure.htm

The EPA's safety limit for mercury is 0.1 micrograms per kg of body weight.

a single child vaccine has 12.5 micrograms

a 5kg baby gets 12.5 / 5 = 2.5 micrograms per kg body weight

2.5 / 0.1 = 25, so a single vaccine for a 5kg (11 pound) baby contains 25 times the epa limit.

H1N1 contains Thimerosal and the CDC recommends it for 6 month old babies.

I knew it: the lack of hard evidence to show Autism was caused by vaccines turns out to be a fraud. Autism isn't a "disease" to be caught either, take it from someone (myself) diagnosed with autism and my life hasn't been severely affected by it. The media blew the 1998 theory out of porportion to a hysteria, to trigger a supposed "pandemic" of infantile autism to eventually now came to an end.

the obvious and widely talked about candidate is vaccine mercury, there is not a study (that I am aware of) that has compared vaccinated with unvaccinated. All studies that examined mercury in vaccines compared groups exposed to mercury with groups exposed to mercury. This is not a well designed method of ruling out mercury as a cause for autism.

To my knowledge. And I researched this the last time this whole Autism thing was posted here. There is only one vaccine made now with any mercury in the process and it is only for adults.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiomersal_controversy

If anything more people should have had autism in the 60s and 70s since they used exclusively mercury vaccines back then. Now such vaccines are never used on children, yet the supposed rate of autism is supposed to be climbing.

"Stupid Logic"TM would infer then that the mercury prevented autism.

I think your views may change when you have children, I can't imagine any parent who knows about autism saying such a thing, it is not an insignificant disability.

I vacinated my daughter and my research showed it was entirely safe. Only some fringe conspiricy theorists are still hanging onto this idea.

Remember that autism has only been a well defined and commonly diagnosed condition for a relatively short number of decades. Most people previously were simply labelled as simple - given menial jobs or sent to institution’s never to be heard of again. We see more autism because we have defined it in a more precise way and attempt to treat those who suffer from it in a way which was never attempted before.

I agree. Even pro-Vaccine=Autism celebrities are hard pressed when confronted with the fact that autism may only be "increasing" in diagnosis because the definition has changed several times recently and has included more variables and symptoms of far lesser degree.

I think it's unlikely he's flat out lying about the existence of these studies. I'm making the point that those that claim "there are no studies" are being disengensious to the truth or are not fully informed.

He's lied about so many other things in just as public a forum.

it is not my claim, it is Wakefield's claim as I clearly stated. don't you think he should heard? or should we just skip the trial, jump to the sentencing and pass the firelighters around?

I think the scientific and medical communities did hold a trial, many trials, of his idea. And he was found guilty in all of them. That is why his study was revoked. That is why we are allowed to say such things about him. The trial has been over for years... he's guilty.

If the countering studies are in that video. Watch the video. Write down the names of the studies. Look them up. Read them. And then reference them here.

FYI, according to the newest standards, Einstein, Hitler, Darwin, Motzart, Thomas Jefferson, Michelangelo, Isaac Newton, Nikola Tesla and Andy Warhol would all be on the Autism Spectrum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_figures_sometimes_considered_autistic

Thimerosal contains organic mercury.

H1N1 contains Thimerosal and the CDC recommends it for 6 month old babies.

Come on. It is just sloppy posting when a 0.014 second search turns up there are 3 types of H1N1 vaccine.

Types of H1N1 Vaccines

Currently, there are three formulations of H1N1 influenza vaccine. Swine flu vaccinations now available are:

•Nasal spray flu vaccine

•Swine flu shot with thimerosal

•Swine flu shot without thimerosal

http://www.suite101.com/content/types-of-h1n1-influenza-vaccines-a164854

Children are not allowed to have the thimerosal one. In fact, almost no one (Especially in the US) even stocks it. It is only for people who are allegic or have medical problems with the other versions.

Come on. It is just sloppy posting when a 0.014 second search turns up there are 3 types of H1N1 vaccine.

http://www.suite101.com/content/types-of-h1n1-influenza-vaccines-a164854

Children are not allowed to have the thimerosal one. In fact, almost no one (Especially in the US) even stocks it. It is only for people who are allegic or have medical problems with the other versions.

the link you provided says children under 2 are not allowed to have the non-thimerosal nasal spray

H1N1 Fluzone vaccine has thimerosal and it says it is for people of age 6 months and older (indications and usage)

and yes it is licencsed in the US

"Fluzone vaccine is the only vaccine licensed in the United States for children as young as 6 months of age through adults"

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/158935.php

fluzone.jpg

I knew it: the lack of hard evidence to show Autism was caused by vaccines turns out to be a fraud.

Wakefield's paper never claimed autism was caused by vaccines. it claimed to have found a connection between autism and bowel disease.

He's lied about so many other things in just as public a forum.

I have not seen any evidence of that, perhaps you could give some clear serious examples of where Wakefield "lied".

If the countering studies are in that video. Watch the video. Write down the names of the studies. Look them up. Read them. And then reference them here.
I referenced 2 of them them twice in this thread, posts#82 and #79.

I have not seen any evidence of that, perhaps you could give some clear serious examples of where Wakefield "lied".

I referenced 2 of them them twice in this thread, posts#82 and #79.

You have not provided the support you claim because you have not linked to those papers. The only references to those papers which are accessable is through a Spectator comment piece and DR Wakefields own response. Until we can read those papers for ourselves it is hearesay from yourself and Dr Wakefield.

You have not supported your claim in any meaningful way.

Br Cornelius

the fact that autism may only be "increasing" in diagnosis because the definition has changed several times recently and has included more variables and symptoms of far lesser degree

in which case, those studies that conclude Thimerosal is safe because autism rates have not dropped since removal of Thimerosal should be disregarded, because the rates of autism "recently" would be artifically boosted by a wider diagnosis.

The only study worth doing is an experimental study comparing thimerosal injection to a control that do not recieve Thimerosal and comparing the groups for signs of development problems. this is exactly the study that Wakefield has been involved with (not as lead author) and was published recently. it found effects on brain development in monkeys injected with thimerosal.

http://www.ane.pl/pdf/7020.pdf

You have not provided the support you claim because you have not linked to those papers.

the papers are all over the net, its not difficult to locate them, try google which is a popular search engine that indexes all information on the net and very easy to use.
The only references to those papers which are accessable is through a Spectator comment piece and DR Wakefields own response.
not true
Until we can read those papers for ourselves it is hearesay from yourself and Dr Wakefield.
so go and read them then, and who is "we"? the royal "We" perhaps?
You have not supported your claim in any meaningful way.
maybe you should go back and read what my claim actually was before projecting your own interpretation of what it was. Edited by Little Fish

the papers are all over the net, its not difficult to locate them, try google which is a popular search engine that indexes all information on the net and very easy to use.

not true

so go and read them then, and who is "we"? the royal "We" perhaps?

maybe you should go back and read what my claim actually was before projecting your own interpretation of what it was.

I looked and did not find the actual papers. Please help me.

Br Cornelius

I looked and did not find the actual papers. Please help me.

http://www.nature.com/ajg/journal/v100/n4/full/ajg2005166a.html

http://www.autismone.org/content/gastrointestinal-pathology-autism-spectrum-disorders-venezuelan-experience-lenny-g-gonzalez-

http://www.whale.to/vaccine/wakefield333.html

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/125/Supplement_1/S1

What Wakefield’s detractors don’t want you to know!

1. His work has been replicated in centers world wide

Balzola F et al . Autistic enterocolitis: confirmation of a new inflammatory bowel

disease in an Italian cohort of patients. Gastroenterology 2005;128(Suppl. 2);A-303.

Gonzalez L. et al., Endoscopic and Histological Characteristics of the Digestive

Mucosa in Autistic Children with gastro-Intestinal Symptoms. Arch Venez Pueric

Pediatr, 2005;69:19-25.

Balzola, F., et al., Panenteric IBD-like disease in a patient with regressive autism

shown for the first time by wireless capsule enteroscopy: Another piece in the jig-saw

of the gut-brain syndrome? American Journal of Gastroenterology, 2005. 100(4):979-

Galiatsatos P, Gologan A, Lamoureux E. Autistic enterocolitis: fact or fiction. Canadian

Journal of Gastroenterology. 2009;23:95-98.

Krigsman A, Boris M, Goldblatt A, Stott C. Clinical Presentation and Histologic

Findings at Ileocolonoscopy in Children with Autistic Spectrum Disorder and Chronic

Gastrointestinal Symptoms. Autism Insights. 2009;1:1–11.

Chen B, Girgis S, El-Matary W. Childhood autism and eosinophilic colitis. Digestion.

2010;81:127-9.

De Magistris L, Familiari V, Pascotto A, Sapone A, Frolli A, Iardino P, Carteni M, De

Rosa M, Francavilla R, Riegler G, Militerni R, Bravaccio C. Alterations of the Intestinal

Barrier in Patients With Autism Spectrum Disorders and in Their First-degree

Relatives. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2010 Jul 28.

http://www.vaccinesafetycoalition.com/uploads/2/7/2/0/2720345/dr._wakefield_press_briefing_10-3-10.pdf

"The association between autism and bowel disease has been repeatedly confirmed by subsequent studies, (1) (2) (3) (4) including a consensus report published a year ago in Pediatrics.(5)"

http://www.ageofautism.com/2011/01/national-autism-association-says-bmj-article-is-yet-another-attempt-to-thwart-vaccine-safety-researc.html

so who's telling the truth with regard to whether there is confirmational support for an association between autism and bowel disease?

Wakefield or a confrontational journalist who says "that's just diarrhea"

Edited by Little Fish

http://www.autismone.org/content/gastrointestinal-pathology-autism-spectrum-disorders-venezuelan-experience-lenny-g-gonzalez-

Balzola F et al . Autistic enterocolitis: confirmation of a new inflammatory bowel

disease in an Italian cohort of patients. Gastroenterology 2005;128(Suppl. 2);A-303.

Gonzalez L. et al., Endoscopic and Histological Characteristics of the Digestive

Balzola, F., et al., Panenteric IBD-like disease in a patient with regressive autism

shown for the first time by wireless capsule enteroscopy: Another piece in the jig-saw

of the gut-brain syndrome? American Journal of Gastroenterology, 2005. 100(4):979-

Galiatsatos P, Gologan A, Lamoureux E. Autistic enterocolitis: fact or fiction. Canadian

Findings at Ileocolonoscopy in Children with Autistic Spectrum Disorder and Chronic

Chen B, Girgis S, El-Matary W. Childhood autism and eosinophilic colitis. Digestion.

De Magistris L, Familiari V, Pascotto A, Sapone A, Frolli A, Iardino P, Carteni M, De

Rosa M, Francavilla R, Riegler G, Militerni R, Bravaccio C. Alterations of the Intestinal

http://www.vaccinesafetycoalition.com/uploads/2/7/2/0/2720345/dr._wakefield_press_briefing_10-3-10.pdf

"The association between autism and bowel disease has been repeatedly confirmed by subsequent studies, (1) (2) (3) (4) including a consensus report published a year ago in Pediatrics.(5)"

http://www.ageofautism.com/2011/01/national-autism-association-says-bmj-article-is-yet-another-attempt-to-thwart-vaccine-safety-researc.html

so who's telling the truth with regard to whether there is confirmational support for an association between autism and bowel disease?

Now that wasn't so difficult was it.

Now all you have to demonstrate is an association between said Gastro conditions and vaccines.

Br Cornelius

Now all you have to demonstrate is an association between said Gastro conditions and vaccines.

Wakefield's paper never claimed "an association between said Gastro conditions and vaccines"

From his paper

"We did not prove an association between measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine and the syndrome described"

http://www.generationrescue.org/pdf/wakefield2.pdf

Your first link is a letter to the editor, not primary research. If you had logged into nature and looked--You'd have seen that....If you can't log into Nature, you can still see that HERE.

Your 3rd link (second will be dealt with shortly) is a link to a website simply echoing the "citations" you've provided.

Your 4th link is to an article in the Journal Pediatrics which discuss care of Autistic children. It is not research between an association with thimerosal, MMR, autism or a "autistic gastroentrocolitis" disease.

As to the "citations" you've provided;

One of the claims that keeps reappearing in the comments sections under articles covering the GMC ruling on Andrew Wakefield and colleagues is that

The key finding (chronic colitis found in ASD children) of Dr. Wakefield’s early case report published in The Lancet in 1998 HAS been independently confirmed by medical researchers in five different countries.

That is a very significant claim. After all, independent confirmation of a recent finding, would make the validity of a finding more likely, and if 6 independent laboratories found the same gut changes in autistic children, then then likelihood that this was a) a fluke or B) made up by Andrew Wakefield would be drastically reduced.

Finally, one of those commenters has posted those ‘independent confirmations’ – so I thought it might be worth having a look at them.

Krigsman, A. (Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, New York University School of Medicine Director of Gastroenterology Services), et al.,Ileocolonoscopy in Children with Autistic spectrum Disorder and Chronic Gastrointestinal symptoms. Autism Insights 2010:2 1-11.

Gonzalez, L., et al., Endoscopic and Histological Characteristics of the Digestive Mucosa in Autistic Children with gastro-Intestinal Symptoms. Arch Venez Pueric Pediatr, 2005;69:19-25.

Balzola, F., et al., Panenteric IBD-like disease in a patient with regressive autism shown for the first time by wireless capsule enteroscopy: Another piece in the jig-saw of the gut-brain syndrome? American Journal of Gastroenterology, 2005. 100(4): p. 979-981.

Balzola, F., et al., Autistic enterocolitis: Confirmation of a new infammatory bowel disease in an Italian cohort of patients. Gastroenterology 2005;128(Suppl. 2);A-303.

Galiatsatos, P., et al., Autistic enterocolitis: Fact or fiction. Canadian Journal of Gastroenterology. 2009;23:95-98.

Let’s look at number 1, Krigsman et al. The name sounds vaguely familiar. In fact, anyone who has read a little about the MMR-autism affair will know Arthur Krigsman as the clinical director of Thoughtful House, which happens to be the same Texas Clinic out of which Andrew Wakefield practises. One editor of “Autism Insight”, the journal in which this “independent confirmation” was published, is Andrew Wakefield (another one the senior author of the study, Carol Stott). Gosh, I bet peer review was harsh for this one.

Gonzales et al, number 2, has been published in “Arch Venez Pueric Pediatr” which stands for Archivos Venezolanos de Puericultura y Pediatría. It was a bit tricky to get my hands on the paper, especially since the citation was not quite right, but I did manage and was not surprised to find that indeed the authors cannot replicate Wakefield’s 1998 “findings” of a distinct autistic enterocolitis, although they do report a higher incidence of gastrointestinal problems in their autistic group.

Balzola et al, number 3, is a case report of one adult autistic patient with inflammed bowel.

Similarly, Balzola et al, number 4, is a meeting abstract (if anyone has access, could they email me that abstract, please) that never saw the light of day as a peer reviewed study.

Finally, number 5, Galiatsatos et al., is a case report, featuring two adult patients with gastrointestinal problems and an ASD diagnosis. The authors call for “more investigations” in their discussion.

So what do we have here? Three (3) genuinely published cases of autistic adults who had consulted a doctor for gastrointestinal problems and were found to have gastrointestinal problems. One conference report from April 2005 that has not gone through peer review and has not appeared in a real journal in the 5 years since the conference. One real study looking at over 50 autistic children which does not confirm Wakefield’s findings. And finally, one study by Wakefield’s buddies in a freshly founded journal run by Andrew Wakefield and his buddies, to say that their buddy Andy was really right all along – how is that for “independent” confirmation?

Link

Points out the other problems with your "references".

As to Wakefield's claims;

He clearly claimed a link existed between this supposed "autistic-gasteroentrocolitis" and the MMR vaccine, as made clear during the press conference prior to the paper's release;

I can’t support the continued use of these three vaccines, given in combination, until this issue has been resolved.

Time's link

Well thanks for playing anyway. Do you have any other evidence that Wakefield's work has been replicated, that a link exists between MMR and autism, that a link exists between thimerosal and autism, that "autistic gastroenterocolitis" has any diagnostic basis or that vaccines are linked in any way to autism or "autistic gastroenterocolitis"?

Wakefield's paper never claimed "an association between said Gastro conditions and vaccines"

From his paper

"We did not prove an association between measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine and the syndrome described"

http://www.generationrescue.org/pdf/wakefield2.pdf

From his paper;

We identified associated gastrointestinal

disease and developmental regression in a group of

previously normal children, which was generally associated

in time with possible environmental triggers.

He clearly tried to draw a link to just what those "environmental triggers" were;

We have identified a chronic enterocolitis in children

that may be related to neuropsychiatric dysfunction. In

most cases, onset of symptoms was after measles,

mumps, and rubella immunisation.

I found the Laura Hewitson paper interesting, though it seems on the very edge of where statistics allows any useful conclusions to be drawn - let alone strong conclusions. If it were replicated and carried out on a larger study group then it may become significant.

However a much broader study would seem to be in order - with direct comparisons to actual diseased monkeys to show if any tissue change was associated with the disease mechanism (which both the vaccine and the disease would trigger) or whether the vaccine was the only trigger.

It is never easy to draw conclusions, as often there are a complex of issues involved which are not directly addressed by the study protocol.

An interesting overview;

http://adventuresinautism.com/HewitsonEditorial.pdf

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

the link you provided says children under 2 are not allowed to have the non-thimerosal nasal spray

H1N1 Fluzone vaccine has thimerosal and it says it is for people of age 6 months and older (indications and usage)

and yes it is licencsed in the US

"Fluzone vaccine is the only vaccine licensed in the United States for children as young as 6 months of age through adults"

The CDC says that there is lots of thimerosal free flu vaccines.

Do the 2010-2011 seasonal flu vaccines contain thimerosal?

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved several formulations of the seasonal flu vaccine, including multi-dose vials and single-dose units. (See Table of Approved Influenza Vaccines for the U.S. 2010–2011 Season.) Since seasonal influenza vaccine is produced in large quantities for annual immunization campaigns, some of the vaccine is produced in multi-dose vials, and contains thimerosal to safeguard against possible contamination of the vial once it is opened.

The single-dose units are made without thimerosal as a preservative because they are intended to be opened and used only once. Additionally, the live-attenuated version of the vaccine (the nasal spray vaccine), is produced in single-dose units and does not contain thimerosal.

Is thimerosal being used in other vaccines?

Since 2001, no new vaccine licensed by FDA for use in children has contained thimerosal as a preservative, and all vaccines routinely recommended by CDC for children younger than 6 years of age have been thimerosal-free, or contain only trace amounts of thimerosal, except for multi-dose formulations of influenza vaccine. The most recent and rigorous scientific research does not support the argument that thimerosal-containing vaccines are harmful. However, CDC and FDA continually evaluate new scientific information about the safety of vaccines.

Some inactivated influenza vaccine contains a preservative called thimerosal. Thimerosal-free influenza vaccine is available. Ask your healthcare provider for more information.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis/downloads/vis-flu.pdf

Anyone with any worries can get the thimerosal-free vaccine just by asking. And the thimerosal containing vaccine is just fine for adults.