Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Help clarify this Hy-Brasil/Atlantis thing?

Soul Kitchen

I thought the names Brazil and Hy-Brazil came from the Irish Uí Breasail, meaning "descendants (or even clan) of Breasal"? Breasal being one of the ancient clans of northeastern Ireland.

I thought the names Brazil and Hy-Brazil came from the Irish Uí Breasail, meaning "descendants (or even clan) of Breasal"? Breasal being one of the ancient clans of northeastern Ireland.

There are a bunch of possible origins for the name, we can't be sure which although yours does sound plausible.

Maybe you are interested in this post of mine: Porcupine Seabight

But don't forget to read the subsequent posts in that thread...

Man, I was having a lot of trouble finding good maps of the area. I wish I had seen your thread earlier.

I like this one especially:

Figure-1.57-Frisland-NASA.jpg

Some of the other phantom islands could also have been real! I'm going to read your thread a bit more now...

Man, I was having a lot of trouble finding good maps of the area. I wish I had seen your thread earlier.

I like this one especially:

Figure-1.57-Frisland-NASA.jpg

Some of the other phantom islands could also have been real! I'm going to read your thread a bit more now...

Lol, it's not 'my' thread, but Riaan's. I will bet he has a few maps you'd like. And the map you copied is his too.

Maybe this is a good map of the area:

Rockall_Trough.jpg

And a couple of links:

http://www.awi.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Research/Research_Divisions/Geosciences/Marine_Geology_and_Paleontology/Research_Themes/bathymetry/geomound/workingarea.png

http://www.awi.de/en/research/research_divisions/geosciences/marine_geology_and_paleontology/research_themes/bathymetry_and_geodesy/porcupine_seabight_geomound/map_and_course_plot/

http://www.thefullwiki.org/Rockall_Bank

Edited by Abramelin

We moved past the binary code, that was really just what exposed me to Hy-Brasil. I agree with you, it is pretty fishy, and those cheesy History Channel alien investigation shows are not always to be completely trusted.

If the island existed, it's elusiveness would lead to exaggerated descriptions anyways. That's how it always goes when travelers find an exotic location, they exaggerate the hell out of it.

I did read that it was called "Brazil Rock" in the 1800s and was considered to exist where the Porcipine Bank is. It could very well have been a intermitant shoal or mudbank.

I'm not against there being lost islands, but the idea that there are aliens sending signals to look for lost technology on hy-brasil makes me cring.

I know for a Fact that the island was found in 1989 in a "documentary" called Erik the Viking. :devil:

Sometimes it is , and sometimes here it can be obvious :)

I saw something on this the other day , it must have been on the show that had the binary code.I do recall for sure , they said " Hy-Brasil " is a very important place when it comes to UFOlogy....That really is as far as I got with it , although I hope more people will chime in here with more information.

I did hear there is a " sunken " Island at those coordinates?...But hey , it was Ancient Aliens , so who knows...

Here is a start for you..

Excellent information Sakari ..very very interesting & thank you very much for that :tu:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ya all doing folks, or should I be saying top of the morning to ya? :-). Just signed up to this site today to get in on this conversation. Only recently did I find out about the binary code and the island for that matter, I am from Ireland, living in Cork and am totally interested in our origins. I think I might have seen the same program as you guys and it seriously grabbed my attention. So I start asking around and local folklore says that it is a very real place that is visible only once every seven years. There are a couple of people who claim to have seen this island a few times, I am hopping to start tracking these people down over the next few days and in the summer when the currents are right might even try and take a boat trip out to try find it.

In old Celtic history, they believed that their heaven was "the last great island to the west" and that you could not go and live there only as a pilgrimage. those lucky enough to have been born on it were allowed to come and go as they pleased. As I used to think that the Celts were mainly rooted in mainland European I believed that this "last great island" was or might have been Ireland herself. Now with the "discovery" of Hi Brasil I'm starting to second guess this line of taught. I was aware of another island directly off the coast of cork where one of our old Goddess used to live, she had at least 6 names 5 for when she was on Ireland and 1 for when she was at home on her island. This name is "Boi" which in todays society has become a blessing normally added at the end of nearly every sentence, eg What is the time? boi, are you going to the shop? boi, Thanks for the help. boi. Understand?

As I started looking for this island it stirred an old memory in me of what I remembered as a small oval or egg shaped standing stone known as The Stone of Destiny, as it turns out the stone is not as small as I thought and it too has mystical powers, it is said the if the true King of Ireland touches the stone it will "Roar" and everyone in the country will hear it no matter what part of the country you are in. It is located on the hill of Tara if ye would like to check it up, am hopping to make a trip out there this weekend.

I am Brazilian and I would like to clarify some things:

1) We speak Portuguese (someone already said that we were discovered by Portugal)

2) The name Brazil (we call it Brasil nowadays, in Portuguese) means something like "burning wood". When the Portuguese got there, they found some kind of tree in excess that was named "pau brazil" (brazil wood). Its wood was red in color, so they meant it had the color of burning coal or wood, which we call "brasa". The world brasil is an adjective referring to the color of burning wood that this wood naturally had. It is now a rare tree, due the the great monetary value it had in the past. It was used to build quality furniture and to extract red paint.

3) With all these maps pointing to an island near Ireland and considering how far away it is from Brazil, it is obvious to me that Brazil is not related to the name of this supposed island, so the Irish origins of the name is the most possible explanation. Just a coincidence that they sound the same.

I am Brazilian and I would like to clarify some things:

1) We speak Portuguese (someone already said that we were discovered by Portugal)

2) The name Brazil (we call it Brasil nowadays, in Portuguese) means something like "burning wood". When the Portuguese got there, they found some kind of tree in excess that was named "pau brazil" (brazil wood). Its wood was red in color, so they meant it had the color of burning coal or wood, which we call "brasa". The world brasil is an adjective referring to the color of burning wood that this wood naturally had. It is now a rare tree, due the the great monetary value it had in the past. It was used to build quality furniture and to extract red paint.

3) With all these maps pointing to an island near Ireland and considering how far away it is from Brazil, it is obvious to me that Brazil is not related to the name of this supposed island, so the Irish origins of the name is the most possible explanation. Just a coincidence that they sound the same.

Thanks for that. Perhaps, the name is associated with the Portuguese as well and not Brazil? I was also thinking about this as I was reading. Then I thought about Pangaea, but then Eurasia was connected to North America. Obviously, an Island name wouldn't have survived 250 million years even if it had been connected to South America. Maybe it was the Brazil wood that made it to this island? Hy-Brazil would have surely been easier to get to.

• 2 months later...

According to the UFO documentary on TV, two military officers were eyewitnesses to a UFO landing in the Rendlesham Forest, in the UK, on December 28, 1980. Later, one of the eyewitnesses wrote a series of binary numbers; and one investigator translated some of those binary numbers into these geographic coordinates:

52 degrees, 09 minutes, 42.532 seconds N

13 degrees, 13 minutes, 12.69 seconds W

This location was said to be the lost, mythical island of Hy Brasil, and is off the west coast of Ireland. According to Wikipedia, Hy Brasil is the subject of Irish myths, and is supposed to be shrouded in mist, except for one day every seven years, when it becomes visible. To me, Hy Brasil sounds like the inspiration for Brigadoon!

Hi Guys,

New here, but was reading about Hy Brasil myself today and stumbled upon your discussion. I just wanted to chime in on the period from which the maps are from and climactic events during that time. I studied Atmospheric Science in college.

From about 1250-1850 we were under the "Little Ice Age". This phenomenon caused sea levels to subside due to the expansion of ice packs, glaciers, etc. So those mounds found under the water at the coordinates from the "UFO" could easily have been exposed land masses

when early explorers were charting the seas.

I've just been watching the series on history channel of Ancient Aliens, and I am very interested in this discussion.

Even if the Binary code is false, could anyone remember 6 pages of whole bunch of 1s and 0s?

According to the UFO documentary on TV, two military officers were eyewitnesses to a UFO landing in the Rendlesham Forest, in the UK, on December 28, 1980. Later, one of the eyewitnesses wrote a series of binary numbers; and one investigator translated some of those binary numbers into these geographic coordinates:

52 degrees, 09 minutes, 42.532 seconds N

13 degrees, 13 minutes, 12.69 seconds W

This location was said to be the lost, mythical island of Hy Brasil, and is off the west coast of Ireland. According to Wikipedia, Hy Brasil is the subject of Irish myths, and is supposed to be shrouded in mist, except for one day every seven years, when it becomes visible. To me, Hy Brasil sounds like the inspiration for Brigadoon!

If Hy Brasil was indeed located on the Porcupine Sea Bight, the sea level should have dropped for at least 200 meters to make it surface.

During the Little Ice Age sea levels dropped for only maybe a couple of centimeters.

If Hy Brasil was indeed located on the Porcupine Sea Bight, the sea level should have dropped for at least 200 meters to make it surface.

During the Little Ice Age sea levels dropped for only maybe a couple of centimeters.

I was waiting to hear something like this, I was uncertain about the validity of rising sea levels as a cause.

Now, could earthquakes have caused the dissapearance?

I'm not sure exactly how such things work, but it was supposed to be a relatively small island.

Just doing 2 minutes of research I found that Hy-Brasil was an island of Irish folklore that was shrouded in mist and became visible once every 7 years and was the gateway the the Faerie lands. Sounds like some cartographer took the folklore as actual fact and others just followed suit.

Just doing 2 minutes of research I found that Hy-Brasil was an island of Irish folklore that was shrouded in mist and became visible once every 7 years and was the gateway the the Faerie lands. Sounds like some cartographer took the folklore as actual fact and others just followed suit.

We realize that it was an island of folklore. But it is strange that multiple cartographers would do that.

What we are discussing now is how it could have existed and went away.

So I read the article about the alien-given binary code that supposedly gave the coordinates for hy-brasil. Hy-Brasil is a legendary island said to have been populated by advanced humans, like atlantis.

What bothers me is that this sounds really interesting, yet I've heard of no investigations. The binary story is a little strange for me too immediately accept, but it's worth looking at the coordinates right? Hy-Brasil could be significant on so many levels, it raises a lot of questions from me.

Has anyone checked out the coordinates? Is Hy-Brasil an actual geographical place or just a myth? If it was an actual place, has there been any archeological investigations where it used to be?

At the very least I'd like to know more about the legend.

My parents came from the west coast or Ireland and my father was very interested in history. He told us of a great tumult in the sky and sea in ancient days and when the Irish went looking for their homeland they could never find it. They were so sure they would find it, it was on the maps until the 1800's. Samuel Eliot Morrison wrote about it in his Northern Voyages.

If you google the largest Aran Island from the air you will see a large semi circular fort with it's back on a high cliff backed up to the sea. There were Egyptian faeience beads found in Irish tombs so clearly they were somehow connected. I have thought that possibly Native Americans crossed on the Gulf Stream and couldn't get back but that would not explain the tumult. For the curious a visit to Newgrange would be great. Unfortunately the history of Ireland has been so turbulent they have had little time to devote to their ancient history. Many gold celtic objects have been dug out of their bogs, but no gold mine has been found. Unfortunately some of these priceless objects have been covertly sold but you can still find quite a few in the Dublin Museum. This is a great site and I am glad I found it.

• 1 month later...

Hy-Brasil is said to disappear and from reports it appears mysteriously in the fog. The most recent report of it is from 1872. Hy-Brasil is the reason that Brazil is called Brazil, because when they landed in Brazil they thought it was Hy-Brasil. The island is said to rise once every seven years. Reports call this island a place of wonders and greatness, and in maps it is almost completely circular many believe (including me) that it had to do with aliens

Anybody know of anything significant about seismic/tectonic activity or rising water levels between 1400 and 1900?

Okay, 500 years is a little broad. It began disappearing from the maps in the 1700's, so how about activity near that century?

The only event of note that might conceivably be connected is the great flood of 1607 - possibly a tsunami caused by an underwater earthquake off Ireland:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Channel_floods,_1607

• 2 weeks later...

The only event of note that might conceivably be connected is the great flood of 1607 - possibly a tsunami caused by an underwater earthquake off Ireland:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Channel_floods,_1607

I have never ever heard of this island or this porcupine thing - so I am going to do some more digging - I am interested what has been said about Irish myth legend - its the key to everything that i need so thank you for the info and pointers - this is so interesting!!!

Funny that there is high volume of the Rhesus neg people here - its all in the DNA I think!

There has been much debate as how Ireland was colonized originaly, the mainstream idea is from the south or east. But the concept of Hy-brasil opens the case for colonization from the west. Many legends (and legends are almost universaly started from a grain of truth) contain references of this, the Rigsbula being one off the top of my mind.

There has been much debate as how Ireland was colonized originaly, the mainstream idea is from the south or east. But the concept of Hy-brasil opens the case for colonization from the west. Many legends (and legends are almost universaly started from a grain of truth) contain references of this, the Rigsbula being one off the top of my mind.

OMG BRAD PITT?!

I always heard the legendary island called Hy-Brasil...no "Z" and maybe a Celtic word that just happens to sound like a Portuguese word? Also...always heard it related to Ireland myth...other than that, don't know a thing about it.

I think you mean the Fir Bolg...

According to ancient Irish legends Ireland was first inhabited (a few centuries after the Flood) by the Fomorians.

They are being described as 'swarthy' and kind of rude and primitive. Some say it is an image of the people of the original Mesolithic culture of Ireland, and that is before people from Iberia arrived there (Partholan, the Milesians, the Fir Bolg, and others).

The etymology of the name Fomorian is interesting: some say it means something like 'people from under the sea', others say it means 'people from the Ice'. And those are just a couple.