Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hearing music that isnt there

Disembodied Voice

When I was little I would always hear, literally hear music playing. It wasn't super loud or anything so it didn't startle me, I kind of liked it. The songs were songs that I have never heard before. They would just play and no one else could hear them but me....I think I have grown out of it cause I don't hear the music anymore just every once in a while but RARELY. My mother also told me the same thing happened to her when she was little, but she thinks she has grown out of it too...anyone else have this experience? What do you all think? Opinions?

Hmmmm, was there voices or just music? :) I mean you could just be extra sensetive to certain signals, especially if it was when you were young

Edited by reiss82

Hmmmm, was there voices or just music? :) I mean you could just be extra sensetive to certain signals, especially if it was when you were young

it was music

EDIT: I mean it would just be music not vocals

Edited by Disembodied Voice

hallucinations in children are more common than in adults a 2010 study found upto 1 in 10 7-8 year olds hand auditory hallucinations. lots of reasons for it many benign

i'll try and find a link

When I was little I would always hear, literally hear music playing. It wasn't super loud or anything so it didn't startle me, I kind of liked it. The songs were songs that I have never heard before. They would just play and no one else could hear them but me....I think I have grown out of it cause I don't hear the music anymore just every once in a while but RARELY. My mother also told me the same thing happened to her when she was little, but she thinks she has grown out of it too...anyone else have this experience? What do you all think? Opinions?

Was this happening when you were fully awake, doing normal activities? The only experience I've had somewhat like this is when I am in a near sleep state-just dozing off or just waking up in the morning. At times during these periods I seem to hear a faint melody or music playing. I believe at these moments I am in sort of a lucid dreaming state, as I feel awake, but somehow just know I'm not quite there yet. When I become fully aware, the sound sensations stop. If you are experiencing this at other times though, I'm not really sure...maybe you just had an extremely active imagination as a child and were "playing" these songs in your mind to amuse yourself? Or, as others have said, possibly auditory hallucinations. From what I have heard these are harmless in most cases.

Edited by Rock-Star

Was this happening when you were fully awake, doing normal activities? The only experience I've had somewhat like this is when I am in a near sleep state-just dozing off or just waking up in the morning. At times during these periods I seem to hear a faint melody or music playing. I believe at these moments I am in sort of a lucid dreaming state, as I feel awake, but somehow just know I'm not quite there yet. When I become fully aware, the sound sensations stop. If you are experiencing this at other times though, I'm not really sure...maybe you just had an extremely active imagination as a child and were "playing" these songs in your mind to amuse yourself? Or, as others have said, possibly auditory hallucinations. From what I have heard these are harmless in most cases.

I would hear the music no matter what sleepy or not it would just randomly start playing but if it was my imagination why did my mom have the same experience as a child?

Edited by Disembodied Voice

hallucinations in children are more common than in adults a 2010 study found upto 1 in 10 7-8 year olds hand auditory hallucinations. lots of reasons for it many benign

i'll try and find a link

okay cool that would be great :)

I would hear the music no matter what sleepy or not it would just randomly start playing but if it was my imagination why did my mom have the same experience as a child?

Hmm...no definite answer for you there. If it was the product of auditory hallucinations, maybe there is some genetic factor that predisposes one to hearing these?

funny thing this happened to me when i was young for different reasons. i was playing this game on gameboy, and i played it so much to the point that at random times even when i wasn't playing the game, i could hear the background music.

ive heard some people that are in a state of meditation hear different types of instruments.

I dont want to sound insulting and say you didnt experience anything, but Ive read some of your other posts on other threads. You obviously have an openness to the paranormal. Could this openness coupled with some natural embellishments of childhood memories be the root? As far as your mom having similar memories, religeous beliefs are easily transferred from parents to children. Maybe she is where you got your open mindedness to things like that.

I've been hearing "original" music in my head since I can remember. When I was 9 I started composing music with a Sax and on paper. I didn't even understand how to read music as much I understood how to write my own and interpret it. Now, I'm 30, I have well over 1,000 songs, lyrics, composition, many different genres. Most of the songs I write, I hear in my head first. On the other hand, once I developed that, I was able to just freestyle lyrics and music to any genre. Mostly, rock, pop, rap, etc. Although, at times, I do hear classical music and compose it, it's usually rock and rap I hear overall. Influence is my main inspiration, I'm sure of it. Although, if you look back at the classical music period, many of the people we idolize today, were inspired by "god", or other super natural forces. They would say that god sent them the music and it was their job to transpose it. I kinda feel the same way, regarding some of my music. Even though I'm agnostic. God, to me, is the universe.

There are many instances where I'll come up with a concept first and then write to it. In those situations, I'm still very fluid and able to write a song in under 30 minutes. You could have a gift DV, if only you could transpose it. My favorite songs are the ones that came to my naturally and to this day, people absolutely love them. Mainly my rock songs, which are sometimes very complex.

If you believe in reincarnation, that could be a possible explanation for hearing music which you've never heard. Maybe!

Ah, a lot of people hear odd music in relation to faeries. And in general it's thought that people are naturally more sensitive to otherworldly things when they're young.

• Like 1

Sounds can some how leave an imprint in your brain. A good example for me is often times when I'm outside in my car and pass an ambulance with it's siren on, I'll still kind of hear traces of it several minutes later even though I know I'm miles away from it then.

When I was younger I used to smoke a bit of the old Bob Marley and whenever I thought of a song I liked, it would come into my mind crystal clear. I could hear the drums, guitars, vocals, everything, and I could sit down and listen to it from beginning to end. Used to make me smile. Im a musician so maybe my musical sense is a bit more devaloped than most, I dunno.

Wow, DV. After reading some other of your posts, I have to be a little jealous. It sure sounds as if you had quite the interesting childhood! :yes:

I dont want to sound insulting and say you didnt experience anything, but Ive read some of your other posts on other threads. You obviously have an openness to the paranormal. Could this openness coupled with some natural embellishments of childhood memories be the root? As far as your mom having similar memories, religeous beliefs are easily transferred from parents to children. Maybe she is where you got your open mindedness to things like that.

This sounds plausible to me, too. :tu:

I know just what you are talking about. I dont hear it all the time, just once in a while maybe less than 10 times a month. Just yesterday I was in the bath and I could hear music playing.It almost sounds like its coming from another room in a large house or from down the street. I can hear the music and the sound of the singers voice but can't make out the words. I live in a mobil home and way out in the country, nearest neighbor is a mile away so I know its not coming from them. I thought maybe it is because this place is haunted and that is why I hear the music. I don't have mental problems and I dont even like talking about this because you guys always say "Go to the dr,!" Well I have been and she just looks at me funny when I tell her about it! I will just let it be what it is and it is not hurting me or anyone else so i don't really care where it comes from anymore. I have so many strange things going on here most of the time that i just don't question it anymore!

Rocketgirl B)

• Like 1

funny thing this happened to me when i was young for different reasons. i was playing this game on gameboy, and i played it so much to the point that at random times even when i wasn't playing the game, i could hear the background music.

ive heard some people that are in a state of meditation hear different types of instruments.

Rice - There's actually a name for this, honest to dog, it's called the Tetris Effect. I heard about it on a radio program called On The Media a few weeks ago. Here's the link the the article on Wikipedia: My link

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to see if anyone can help me with this experience:

A few years ago I was helping my mom move out of my childhood home, my father had passed away 2 1/2 years earlier and the house was too much for her to take care of. The last evening before the movers came we were standing in the kitchen talking when we both hear a song playing, the quality was similar to a cell phone ring tone or an old portable radio. I even know that the artist was Gloria Estefan, I am not joking here, we both looked at each other and began searching for the source. I initially though a clock radio alarm had gone off and the song was playing on the radio but nothing was on, we searched the kitchen which is small and the adjacent bedroom but nothing was powered on. The song played for about 10 sec or so, my ears directed me to look at my mom purse hanging on the chair, as soon as I looked at the purse the song stopped. I thought someone had added the song as a ring tone on my mom's cell phone so I called it but only standard T-moble ring tone sounded. To this day we both cannot explain what caused the song. I initially recognized the song but regrettably did not write down any words I remembered to try to identify the title, If I could identify the title I would actually try to contact Ms Estefan and ask her motivation for the song to try to make reason of what happened.

Sorry for the long post but I thought maybe some could help out.

Thanks

I would do this too. I think I was actually playing the music from memory to help me sleep. It still happens now, when it's taking me a while to sleep I can faintly hear it. Even books will replay in my head like that which is kind of strange but I can lay there trying to sleep and watch a book play in my head, it always puts me to sleep. Almost like telling myself a bedtime story... :lol:

• 3 months later...

Ok, I got excited when I seen this because I really thought i was the ONLY one that hears music! This happens day or night, when its real quiet. I can hear what sounds like a radio,or tv that is so faint you cant tell much about it. Its not the neighbors either because we lived out in the country for a while and had no neighbors, but I still would hear this! I would ask my husband to listen and he never heard anything, he'd just look at me like I'd lost it.

• Like 1

I used to have this happen to me a lot when I was a kid usually happened right before I would fall asleep it would be soft rock music playing. I think it's just the mind starting to go into dream mode as you fall asleep. Sometimes it still happens but not often

• 1 month later...

When I was a kid I always loved to watch commercials - they seemed to be so much more interesting than the actual tv shows that were going on. One commercial in particular, Kinder chocolate eggs it had it's own distinguishable melody in every commercial. Whenever the commercial would end I'd hear the melody, literally hear it at random moments for the first few minutes after watched commercial. I really loved when that happened, I loved that melody. At times I'd try to induce it myself (I was like 6 or 7 years old) and it was really hard but sometimes I would succeed and I'd hear it.

The songs that you heard as a kid, are you able to remember them now? If so, do you recognize any of them?

The songs that you heard as a kid, are you able to remember them now? If so, do you recognize any of them?

All I remember is that it was Classical, like Mozart or something to that extent. I haven't heard any classical music in forever. I'm not sure if I would recognize any specific song now days. All I remember is that it was Classical music.