Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What Haunts your town/city?

Disembodied Voice

I was just wondering. What are your town/cities ghostly legends. Haunted places ect and the stories behind why they are considered haunted. What entity lurks in your neck of the woods?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Black Hound

• Blackwhite

• Disembodied Voice

• scaredsilly

Warley woods not that far from where i used to live. The grey lady walks the woods at night...

story here.

Got quite a few for were i live and thats just the old mining village of Madeley and what is now apart of Telford, Shropshires full of old legends and folklore.

The Wrekin Giant

It's one of Shropshire's best-known landmarks - and legend has it, it was built by a giant with a grudge against Shrewsbury!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/shropshire/content/articles/2005/03/23/wrekin_giant_feature.shtml

The most infamous Ghost of Madeley Court is that of a forlorn looking Monk who slowly glides across the grounds

http://hauntedhotelguide.com/wkndhaunts.asp?id=32

Couldnt find an old site i visited on Madeley court hotel which is a 10 minute walk from my house so this link will have to do, sometimes when people walk past late at night they also pass a mount nearby which has been said to be haunted as well with the sounds of swords clashing and horses galloping. I don't know if that ones true or not but who knows the Shropshire area is full of history.

Probably the most famous story from my neck of the woods is that of the Gore Orphanage My link.

Legend has it that this Orphange burned down, killing many children. Supposedly if yo go into the woods at it's former location, you can hear children crying, and when you return to your car, you will find tiny handprints in the dust on your car. Despite the fact that the building on this property was not even an orphange, it sounds like an incredibly likely story :lol: . I have never been to the sight personally, but a friend of mine went one night, and supposedly found the handprints on his car when he returned. He is however, quite the partier, and easily impressionable, so I couldn't put a whole lot of stock into his story. Also, I find it quite feasible that, knowing the legend, pranksters may very likely sit in the woods in the area, and come out to make "handprints" on the visitors cars when they step into the woods.

From what I've heard, we have an old school that's haunted, which was closed down in the 60s. This one is probably our most popular haunted place among locals. Legend says when white/black segregation ended, black kids started to go to this all white school. Apparently, the janitor didn't like it, so he took 3 (or was it 4?) of them to the boiler room and murdered them, then hung himself. Visitors now say you can see, hear and even feel ghostly children if you visit. The most reported experience is the ghosts will play with your car if you leave it on and get out; things like playing with the locks (if automatic), windows, pressing the gas, playing with the radio and also the headlights.

Then, we have the Nat Ballroom, which was a place where people went to dance and whatnot back in the early 1900s. Now, it's used for dancing, concerts and other similar activities. People report still seeing ghostly couples dancing. I'll post a link to it. My link

There's a place called Gebo's, which is now a bar, from what I've read, but it used to be a grocery store and a meat worker (from the meat department of the store, obviously) was killed in the store. Now, it's reported glasses go flying off the bar and other things like that. I have no idea where in my city this place is at, though. The only Gebo's I've seen is a small shop. Maybe it's been changed from a bar back into a shop by now? I don't know. Or it's likely there's another Gebo's I just haven't seen.

We also have a few old, huge grainary buildings, one of which has been reported as haunted.

Those four are pretty much the only places I hear are haunted by multiple sources.

Edited by Fatal

The whole eastern side of this county is "haunted" so to speak. One of the .. if not the largest Native American burial ground in the americas seems to be the culprit. Yet then again were the earthlights, accoustic bangs and shadow people here before the first burial or are they spirits which manifested after the natives buried their dead here.

All I do know is that this is one hell of a screwed up place. A beautiful place!!!

lol, I'm currently in Chicago.. almost seems like it's hard to find a place that isn't haunted!

We got Rez Mary, Bachelors grove, Robinson woods, a whole heap of stuff all over the city..

Victoria has a boatload of ghosts. Bastion Square, Grey Lady, White Lady, Bellfry Theater, Gonzales Beach, Centennial Square, Market Square, the old Gallows, the ghost tree, Craigdarroch Castle, Ross Bay Cemetery, and likely a bunch of others I can't remember right now.

I come from Bolton, near Manchester, and there is a very famous pub in the town centre called the Ye Olde Man and Scythe. The name is from the crest of the Pilkington family which consists of a reaper using a scythe, alluding to a tradition about one of the early members of the family

17564457.Mandscythe.jpg

It is in the Top 10 oldest pubs in the whole of Britain. The first recorded mention of it by name was way back in 1251. Most of the building, though, was rebuilt in 1631 (the cellar still dates from 1251) - the builders carved the year into a datestone in a wall in one room in the bar which can be clearly seen to this day - and it is famous for being where the 7th Earl of Derby had his last meal before being executed outside it on Churchgate in 1651 for his part in the Bolton Massacre of 1644 during the English Civil War.

During the war, Bolton was a Parliamentarian-supporting town. On 28th May 1644, the Royalist forces, led by Prince Rupert of the Rhine, King Charles I's nephew, stormed the town and massacred 1,600 of its people. Many townsfolk were lined up and run through with swords. It was the only massacre of the war. The major Royalist figure in the county of Lancashire was James Stanley, 7th Earl of Derby and he fought alongside Rupert during the massacre.

On 16th October 1651, the Earl of Derby was beheaded outside the Ye Olde Man and Scythe pub. He had his last meal and drink in the pub, accompanied by the landlord, and the very axe that was used to chop his head off, and the very same wooden chair he sat in during his last meal, are on display in a glass cabinet in a room in the bar, there for drinkers to see. On the chair is the inscription: "15th October 1651 In this chair James 7th Earl of Derby sat at the Man and Scythe Inn, Churchgate, Bolton immediately prior to his execution".

choppandorb.jpg.w560h420.jpg

The very axe used to behead the 7th Earl of Derby outside the Ye Olde Man and Scythe inn in 1651, and the very chair he sat on inside the inn whilst he ate his last meal.

The exact spot where he was beheaded is now marked by a tall column with a golden cross on top, with four plaques around its base detailing key events in Bolton's history through the centuries.

433448522_b0ebc0aa3d.jpg

The 7th Earl of Derby's ghost has regularly been seen inside the pub. And, in the room in which the chair and axe are on display, there is the portrait of a 17th Century woman on the wall with a paragraph underneath explaining that her ghost has also often been seen in that very room.

Incidentally, the man who created ice hockey's Stanley Cup is a direct descendant of the 7th Earl of Derby - Frederick Arthur Stanley, 16th Earl of Derby.

A few building along from the ancient Man and Scythe is a much more modern building (1960s I think) which consists of five floors. On some of the floors are lawyers and solicitors, the top floor is a training centre and there are other organisations in the building. When I had to go in there last week there was a woman lawyer, who works there, talking to the security guard at the reception about why the lift always seem to be not working properly. Me and the woman were waiting for the lift to come down from the top floor and it was slow. I then butt in and said, sarcastically, that maybe it's a ghost! But the security guard looked serious and said: "Yeah. There is the ghost of a cavalier (a royalist Civil War soldier) seen on the third floor and the ghost of a woman seen on the top floor." The woman nodded and said that the hauntings are very much known amongst people who work in there.

exec.jpg

Churchgate during the 7th Earl of Derby's execution in 1651...

Churchgate.jpg

...and now

Edited by Blackwhite

There's a street in my town that's said to be haunted by an old man who was a very bad person in life. Now, he's said to regret whatever he did and apparently sometimes appears to people walking the street alone at night and tells them not to make the same mistakes he did.

I was just wondering. What are your town/cities ghostly legends. Haunted places ect and the stories behind why they are considered haunted. What entity lurks in your neck of the woods?

We got the WHALEY HOUSE. Never been inside, but I've walked by it many times. It was closed off, I'm not sure how you arrange getting in.

(I'm hoping you've heard of the Whaley House)

Edited by Thesantanafan

:w00t: When I don't have a date or even if I do, I or we do out dead-level-best to do some serious "haunting" of some of the "better" waterin' holes" in the city.

Warley woods not that far from where i used to live. The grey lady walks the woods at night...

story here.

creepy!

There's a street in my town that's said to be haunted by an old man who was a very bad person in life. Now, he's said to regret whatever he did and apparently sometimes appears to people walking the street alone at night and tells them not to make the same mistakes he did.

he died on that street?

:w00t: When I don't have a date or even if I do, I or we do out dead-level-best to do some serious "haunting" of some of the "better" waterin' holes" in the city.

:lol:

Monterey,CA being haunted is an understatement. "The Robert Louis Stevenson house in Monterey is said to be haunted. The most well known is a ghost of a woman who is usually seen in the nursery standing over the beds." The Lady in Black. I've got a whole book on ghosts in my county.

I live in New Orleans. What isn't haunted around here? It's all nicely haunted. :rofl:

Seriously folks, there is a story of "ghostly going-ons" in my hometown. What I have witnessed I really dare not call anything like the "parnormal". Though, there was one "old house" in town we used to dare each other to go up to the front door and knock 3 times. I never knew anyone that did it. The main "ghostly" action concerns a "mental patient", who after escaping from who knows where, broke into a home during a storm, and to make a long story night, tied up, butchered, and ate the younger members of the family. He did get caught, though not right away, yep, he said the Devil had told him what to do, and would not allow him to be executed. Apparently Lucifer wasn't aware of this and when the time came when the convict was to be rescused, no help was there to get him out, and was subsequently executed. His brain was removed for medical examination reasons for his actions, :yes: and the rest was burned to ashes. :yes:

Here are a couple of good ones from the Syracuse, New York, area.

Probably the most famous and the one most mentioned around Halloween:

The Landmark Theatre on South Salina Street in Syracuse

The Landmark Theatre almost came to be nothing more than rubble at one time, but was luckily saved and restored. Good thing too, otherwise Clarissa, the phantom of the theatre, would have had nowhere to haunt. Clarissa (known as Claire by others) has been haunting the theatre since sometime in the 1930's when she supposed fell from the theatre balcony to her death after watching her beloved get electrocuted on the stage area. Other reports claim that she was a bitter actress that jumped to her death after not getting the part that she wanted. Regardless of the true reason behind her untimely demise, she's still making her presence known, especially to those who break theatre rules or just plain annoy her.

During the restoration of the theatre, several workers claimed to have seen her, clad completely in white, standing up on the balcony where she fell or jumped. There have also been reports of a male ghost that haunts the theatre as well. He is thought to be the ghost of a maintenance man who died in the theatre sometime in the 1970's. EVP recordings have been taken by ghosthunters and the findings greatly support, not only the claims of a supernatural presence but also that Clarissa fell off the balcony and did not commit suicide. Regardless of which spirit may be roaming around at any given time, you can be sure to run into at least one when visiting the Landmark Theatre.

To me, however, this one is the most interesting. I'm planning on checking out the site once the snow melts (in June, hey, it's Syracuse):

Split Rock Quarry in Solvay, NY

This is one of the scariest places to visit in Syracuse, both in the daytime and especially at night. It also probably has the most tragic past in the city. On July 12, 1918, Split Rock was the Semet-Solvay Munitions Plant, a plant that had very hazardous materials in it's facility including TNT and picric acid. On this night, the worst fears of those who worked there were realized when the plant exploded, killing 50 men and injuring over 100. Those who were killed suffered horrible demises including being covered with picric acid, burning to death and being buried alive. 15 of the men killed were so badly disfigured that they were never identified and were buried in unmarked graves.

Today there has been several ghostly happenings at the Quarry, which is now nothing but rock with one remaining part of the facility still standing; a piece of machinery called the Crusher. Those who have been brave enough to enter the crusher (myself not included) have reported several disturbing events, including a drastic drop in temperature upon entering the cave-like structure, voices that can be heard in the distance, moaning, sounds of rocks falling, footsteps and a feeling of being watched. Some of the more extreme claims have been the sound of the Crusher still running as though it is still on and working, several sightings of a glowing green figure in the shape of a man standing atop the Crusher (the green glowing would be courtesy of the picric acid) and an unbelievable claim of being sucked into a vortex when in the Crusher, disappearing for ½ an hour and reappearing at the top of a hill with no recollection of how they got there. While I'm not too sure about that last one, I have no doubt that there probably is some sort of paranormal activity occurring at Split Rock. However, rather than find out for myself, I'll take everyone else's word for it.

I live in Houston Tx. I have to say this is the most popular "haunt" out here. It's called Blue Light Cemetery. I have to post a likn because I couldn't copy the article.

http://www.hollowhill.com/tx/houston/bearcreekcemeteries.htm

Now let me tell you my experience with this place. Me and a couple of high school friends went "ghost hunting" for a while, this is one of the places we chose to visit. It took ALOT to find this cemetery, it is literally sitting between swamps. We know this area very well and we had to use google world, and some compasses. When we searched it, nobody would list the location so we had to do our own research. Let me say we went there an average of 7 times or so I would say. The place is very run down, there are hardly any tomb stones left. There are a few bearly standing. Some of the dates are from the late 1800's. We never experienced anything paranormal here. But the place does give out a very eerie feeling, it might have to do with the federal fences, and grave robbers but it's creepy. It did frighten me to be there. That whole town was wiped out, you have to cross a big flattened treeless lot where the town stood, that is freaky!! The more we went there the less I wanted to go back. One of the last times we went it started raining on us, that day from acroos the field you could see the lights starting to flow from the cemetery, however I am convinced those are gases that rise from the swamp. I wouldn't advice anyone to go here, since it is very rough terraine to get thru, and there is cotton mouths out there. The last time my friend visited he got bit by a snake so we entirely stoped going.

Very interesting place full of history I would say.

http://www.hollowhill.com/tx/houston/beeler-may06.htm

Now that tiny little cemetery I think is haunted. Very scary!! You get a very unsettleing feeling here which is strange, because it's in the middle of the city. There is an office building or something right next to it. We had cameras and video recorders, and we all wanted to leave. There is something there, we heard leaves crackling as if someone was walking towards us from the outside of the gate, we all heard it. This place is very very strange. This is a place to try, easy access, and thrills. :tu:

Hmmm, well, being born and raised in Kentucky, the first thing that springs to mind is the infamous Waverly Hills Sanatorium. I've never had a chance to visit, but I hope to one day. If not for the possibilty of encountering some ghosties, then for the fact that I have an odd love of old, broken down buildings with unsavory graffiti all over the walls. :tu:

My town, Bolton, Greater Manchester, seens to be littered with hauntings. That's probably because Britain is a country absolutely saturated with history, and so there are bound to be many ancient legends and strange ghostly sightings.

Apart from the ghosts of the Ye Olde Man and Scythe which I've already mentioned, there are also those of Smithills Hall.

Smithills%20Hall.jpg

It is a Grade I listed manor house on the north-western edge of Bolton in the Halliwell area of the town, near to the foot of the one-and-a-half-thousand feet tall Winter Hill.

The hall, which featured in an episode of Most Haunted, dates back to the 1300s and has been under the ownership of various wealthy families throughout the centuries.

It is probably most famous today for the trial of the Protestant Martyr George Marsh, who hailed from the Deane area of Bolton. Unfortunately for George, he lived during the reign of the Catholic Queen Mary I, who became known as Bloody Mary because of her persecution and execution of thousands of English Protestants.

After spending time down south as curate to Lawrence Saunders at All Hallows Church in London, during which time Lawrence was arrested, George came back to the North and continued preaching the Protestant faith in the parishes of Deane, Eccles and elsewhere in Lancashire (or what was then Lancashire).

Justice Barton of Smithills Hall, Bolton sent servants to arrest him at his mother's house but he gave himself up at Smithills Hall. After being "examined" at Smithills Hall, according to local tradition, George Marsh - as he was being led out to be taken to Chester - stamped his foot so hard on the ground to re-affirm his Protestant faith that a footprint was left in the stone floor. it can still be seen to this day and is shown to visitors who are taken on guided tours around the medieval hall!

P1010071.JPG

The footprint which fills with blood every 24th April

Marsh refused to convert to Catholicism. He was even given one last chance to convert while being tied to the stake at which he would be burned.

He was executed on a windy day in April 1555 on the north side of the road in Boughton, about a mile from Chester City Centre. He was sentenced to be burned to death at the stake at the traditional execution ground at the time in Boughton, Chester. After his death his ashes were collected by his friends and buried in the nearby cemetery of Saint Giles.

Legend say that to this day, on the anniversary of George's death (24th April), his footprint at Smithills Hall supposedly fills with blood!

Here are some other spooky happenings which have occurred at Smithills Hall:

• One man is convinced he saw George's full apparition just before closing time when he visited the museum as a child. This was in the Green Room, which not surprisingly is said to be the most haunted area of the Hall.
  • The figure of a lady dressed in clothes from the 1500`s has been seen in and near The Bower Room, and also on a staircase. This lady seems to have a cheeky sense of humour as visitors have reported being pinched on the bottom by her!
  • In the Great Hall a notable psychic saw a `strong` man and a `distressed` woman wearing clothes from the 1500`s. There are numerous reports of ghostly activity in the Chapel, including a male apparition and a female member of staff being pushed from behind so badly that she had several grazes from where she fell harshly against the wall to prove it.
  • In the shop twice in two weeks the manager saw in the Pugin mirror which used to hang there the reflection of a man dressed in black with white bushy hair watching her from the doorway.Both times when she turned to look the doorway was empty. She also saw the same man on the stairs.
  • In Colonel Ainsworth's Room in the mornings staff are used to having set the glasses back straight on the table after they have been turned upside down or moved during the night when the museum is locked and empty.
  • Staff and visitors also report frequently other strange things, including barrier ropes swinging of their own accord, cats meowing, children giggling and cold spots.The ghost of a Victorian maid has also been seen.

And here are some other spooky happenings which have occurred around this great old town of mine (but we'll include another from the Ye Olde Man and Scythe first):

Bloodied Hands

Location: Bolton - Ye Olde Man and Scythe public house, Churchgate

Type: Other

Date / Time: Late twentieth century (blood story), and 2000s (Geny)

Further Comments: A woman drinking at the public house found her hands covered in blood as she started to leave, though she had no wounds of her own, and no other source for the liquid could be discovered. More recently, the spirit of Geny, an eight year old girl, has be blamed for tugging at skirts, pinching people, and moving items around, while a phantom dog runs around chairs in the museum room.

Hand on Bottom

Type: Haunting Manifestation

Date / Time: 1978 / 79

Further Comments: The female owner at this hotel felt something grab her bottom as she climbed into the bath. The ghost is also said to play around with the beer pumps.

Men with Light Bulb Heads

Type: UFO

Date / Time: November 1926

Further Comments: A local lad escaped one night from his house to play hide and seek with his friends. While searching for them, he observed three figures in grey rubber suits and fishbowl helmets in a back yard; they also possessed pallid faces like inversed pears, with slits for eyes and mouth. When they moved towards him, he ran home.

Smell of Smoke

Date / Time: 1974 - 1975

Further Comments: A former landlord of the public house reported the smell of cigar smoke in the ladies toilet, though there was never any evidence of smoke or ash.

Noosed Highwayman

Date / Time: Unknown

Further Comments: This shade, mistakenly hanged for highway robbery, still has the hangman's noose tied around his neck when he appears. They also say his eyes look as if they're ready to pop out of his head.

Smoking Man

Date / Time: Late twentieth century

Further Comments: This phantom complete with smoking pipe has been observed in the living room of the building.

Phantom Runner

304554036_2e19e52552.jpg

Hall i' th' Wood: Where Samuel Crompton invented the Spinning Mule, to spin cotton yarn, in 1779

Date / Time: Varies: between 25 December - 6 January (reoccurring)

Further Comments: Always heard but never seen, this spook frequents the old staircase, the footsteps always rushing. Other ghosts reported here include an old woman seen in the kitchen and two men, one dressed in black and the other green.

Husky Voice

Further Comments: This female ghost would materialise wearing only a nightdress in the early hours of the morning. It was also said her deep husky voice could be heard making suggestive remarks to any men still awake.

Bed Sharer

Type: Poltergeist

Date / Time: 1960s

Further Comments: Accompanying the usual bangs, crashes and raps, this polt could be felt as it climbed into the beds of the buildings inhabitants. It would also pinch skin and pull hair. The intrusion ended when the family left the building after a particularly bad night, and never returned.

Granny

Type: Unknown Ghost Type

Date / Time: Early twentieth century

Further Comments: Even though she had never seen her grandmother, a young girl described the ghostly figure of an aging woman that stood over her bed to her aunt, who identified the figure as the girl's grandmother, dying many years earlier. The cottage was also said to be haunted by another old woman, this one sitting in the living room wearing a red shawl.

Vida Swift

Further Comments: Dying while carrying out the role of wardrobe mistress, Vida has been seen walking around the corridors and frequenting the stage control box.

Workshop Worker

Date / Time: Twentieth century

Further Comments: This ghostly figure has been seen standing outside the college, wearing clothes that identify him as an old blue collar worker.

Slamming

Date / Time: Twentieth century

Further Comments: Doors would slam closed, and the landlord was once awoken by an oppressive atmosphere that flooded his bedroom. The pub is said to have been built on top of a graveyard, the haunting attributed by some to be carried out by phantom Cavaliers.

Duellists

turton_tower.jpg

Further Comments: Two skulls are currently stored in the Towers, that when stored in previous places, have been blamed for causing two ghostly men to appear and begin fighting. Poltergeist activity is also attached to the stories, and a woman apparently dressed in mourning costume haunts the staircase of the tower (and possibly an old path outside the tower). The area outside the tower is haunted by a phantom coach.

Emily

Date / Time: October 2008 onwards

Further Comments: This female ghost, dressed in black, appeared to the assistant manager on three occasions. She was described as slim, late twenties or early thirties, with dark hair and high cheek bones. The entity has been nicknamed Emily by staff.

Middle Aged Love

Further Comments: A couple in their late thirties haunt his building - they have been seen romantically holding hands over a table, where they sit and stare longingly at each other. They both wear Victorian clothing.

http://www.paranormaldatabase.com/hotspots/bolton.php

Edited by Blackwhite

Oddly enough I was led to this forum by this very subject. I was doing research on a little pub, I like to go to. I got some strange feelings there, then I found this article here on it. Then I started posting not long after.

I'm now am good friends with the owner and some of the people mentioned in the article.

I just gave some sage to burn to one of the bartenders yesterday. She is there alone during down times and gets a little scared.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/column.php?id=149123

there also other spirits that wonder the streets here. I think there was an episode of ghost hunters or something similar done on the place.

Edited by Seeker79

Seriously, where I reside is the capitol of the state and has "odd" events going back to the late 1600s. The is the "Old Capitol", with its 12 midnight screams by a womwn no one can find and believe you me, lots have tried to locate her,or it or whatever.Homes of presidents are noted , as well as various statutes to our "brave boys in Gray" and Butternut", who spent 4 yrs.fighting an honorable battle for a less than honorable cause. Various "sightings" have been seen around monuments as well in the "Old Cemetery", with its section for soldiers killed in the Civil War, that seems to be active during foggy nights and on anniversaries of certain battles but they don't hang around if too many mortals are roaming the "grounds". :yes:

Thank you all for your replies :D It is very interesting indeed! I enjoyed reading them. Keep em coming :) I'd love to hear more! ^.^