Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Breathing under Water

Disembodied Voice

2 minutes ago, joc said:

Just a thought...what if we all taught our children that we are all fully human...and that 'human-ness' is what makes us special....

:tu: Double like.

It's what I taught my youngest who has the same disorder.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Anonymous Girl said:

Like it or lump it. I like that. I'll have to use that sometime. And I'm not saying that I'm... fully human??? Oh jeez, that sounds completely insane, even just typing it. If I do feel something go wrong, I won't try it again. I'll be as careful as I can.

P.S. My friend calls me a freak of nature because of some crazy weird things I've done around her. But I'm not going into detail on that. That's for another topic. Heh.

Oh, and thanks for all the help you all are trying to give me, instead of just saying that I'm insane.

Rest assured, you are indeed 100% fully human. It might not feel like it sometimes, but you are. And humans can't breathe underwater- we simply don't have the body parts required to process oxygen out of water. Human lungs are actually rather sensitive to fluid, it only takes a little water to drown. And drowning can happen even after a water event that takes water into the lungs- it's a phenomena called "dry drowning". Again, I strongly suggest you don't even try it- just don't.

And I don't think you are crazy. I do think you are entertaining a gross error in judgement due to a lack of knowledge about human physiology and putting too much stock in fictional notions.

• Like 1

Okay, I am done posting after this. I explained what happened, twice, and I don't know if I can do it again. I understand you are all trying to explain that it's not possible, but I did do it. It's not my imagination. You can't believe me because you haven't witnessed it. Sorry I posted in the first place. I thought I'd find others like me. But I didn't. I don't think I ever will. Peole call me a freak for a reason, I guess. I'm not like you. Sounds crazy. I know. Goodbye. (No, I'm not going to die. I'm just leaving this forum.)

Edited by Anonymous Girl
Typo

• 3 months later...

I have experienced what the OP explains too. I believe knowledge/belief/fear is the key.

If you don't know or fear that breathing under water poses a danger, it wont. I know that is a very bold statement. But it is based upon the collapse of the wave function from quantum mechanics. It indicates that things only become real if they are experienced/observed.

An adult mind could never do it, however. It is much to contaminated by constitutional facts and fear. Ignorance is truly a bliss.

25 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

I have experienced what the OP explains too. I believe knowledge/belief/fear is the key.

If you don't know or fear that breathing under water poses a danger, it wont. I know that is a very bold statement. But it is based upon the collapse of the wave function from quantum mechanics. It indicates that things only become real if they are experienced/observed.

An adult mind could never do it, however. It is much to contaminated by constitutional facts and fear. Ignorance is truly a bliss.

Then you have something called "physiology" which says humans only breathe air and die when their lungs fill with water.......

Edited by Piney
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Piney said:

Then you have something called "physiology" which says humans only breathe air and die when their lungs fill with water.......

Besides the statements in this thread, I've met a woman who claimed to still do it. I'm not saying any of us are correct. I'm just wondering if the mind is truly stronger than anything in this word. I believe it is. If you believe something is possible, it is!

But don't go drown yourself!

Edited by sci-nerd

35 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

So "Quantum" Drowning is a thing now. Who knew.:rolleyes:

You know its BS when you see quantum mechanics used out of context. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sci-nerd said:

Besides the statements in this thread, I've met a woman who claimed to still do it. I'm not saying any of us are correct. I'm just wondering if the mind is truly stronger than anything in this word. I believe it is. If you believe something is possible, it is!

I'm calling BS on the woman...

Well, if you try it we have a in-house Methodist Minister, Catholic Friar and Vodou Hougan to send you down the Star Path. :tu:

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

The mind is plenty powerful. That's why people can become freaking delusional and think they have super powers or they 'communicate' with spirits. 

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

So "Quantum" Drowning is a thing now. Who knew.:rolleyes:

You know its BS when you see quantum mechanics used out of context. 

Not out of context, but applied. Taking QM out of the lab is not out of context. There are ofcourse some physicalists who refuse to do that, but there are more and more scientists who have come to accept reality as information, not matter. If we talk again in 10 years, the balance might have shifted to my advantage. Right now there is a struggle however...

Not out of context, but applied. Taking QM out of the lab is not out of context. There are ofcourse some physicalists who refuse to do that, but there are more and more scientists who have come to accept reality as information, not matter. If we talk again in 10 years, the balance might have shifted to my advantage. Right now there is a struggle however...

When that day happens let me know. Any time I see quantum mechanics/physics misused the thread goes Chopra, never go full Chopra.

9 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

When that day happens let me know. Any time I see quantum mechanics/physics misused the thread goes Chopra, never go full Chopra.

Have you read the URL adress of the site you're on? We're here to talk about mysteries! QM is a mystery itself! Applying it to our lives is not misusing it!

If it is misuse of QM, to explain things that occur, then what can we use it for at all?

Everything consists of particles. Particles is QM. You can't isolate TCoTWF and non-locality to the lab. It happens all around us!

Edited by sci-nerd

Have you read the URL adress of the site you're on? Were here to talk about mysteries! QM is a mystery itself! Applying it to our lives is not misusing it!

If it is misuse of QM, to explain things that occur, then what can we use it for at all?

Everything consists of particles. Particles is QM. You can't isolate TCoTWF and non-locality to the lab. It happens all around us!

If you want to talk reality let's take it to psychology and neuroscience not quantum physics. 

So according to QM I can do stuff like hold a hot iron to my skin and not get burned, or jump off a tall building and not go splat just by wanting it? Super neat. 

Complete nonsense and dumb as hell, but neat.

Edited by moonman

@sci-nerd, like others have touched on, human physiology does not allow for us to ‘breathe’ by inhaling water. 

How would ‘collapse of the wave function from quantum mechanics’ make it possible? What mechanism would allow for human lungs to extract oxygen from liquid water?

You’ve gotta give a little more info?

The other thing is, people in this thread could have changed the world for the better if what they are claiming is true. It would be so easy to prove what they’re claiming, and then the mechanism would be studied and probably have been explained. It would be truly amazing. That’s why I ask for proof, but none has been given. Zero. Just warm fuzzy stories of feeling special. 

Why hasn’t that happened?

27 minutes ago, moonman said:

So according to QM I can do stuff like hold a hot iron to my skin and not get burned, or jump off a tall building and not go splat just by wanting it? Super neat. 

Complete nonsense and dumb as hell, but neat.

No ofcourse you can't do those things! No normal adult can. Because you don't believe in them. You are contaminated by instituted facts.

7 minutes ago, Timothy said:

@sci-nerd, like others have touched on, human physiology does not allow for us to ‘breathe’ by inhaling water. 

How would ‘collapse of the wave function from quantum mechanics’ make it possible? What mechanism would allow for human lungs to extract oxygen from liquid water?

You’ve gotta give a little more info?

The other thing is, people in this thread could have changed the world for the better if what they are claiming is true. It would be so easy to prove what they’re claiming, and then the mechanism would be studied and probably have been explained. It would be truly amazing. That’s why I ask for proof, but none has been given. Zero. Just warm fuzzy stories of feeling special. 

Why hasn’t that happened?

Psychology is the very thing that does not allow you to breathe under water. Your mind can not accept it. And your mind determines your reality.

Just like it determines QM. I know that is not the standard interpretation, but it is the logic.

Edited by sci-nerd

2 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Psychology is the very thing that does not allow you to breathe under water. Your mind can not accept it. And you mind determines your reality.

Just like it determines QM. I know that is not the standard interpretation, but it is the logic.

By your logic (or lack of), if I imagine a fire breathing dragon attacking my neighbors, there will be a fire breathing dragon attacking my neighbors.

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

By your logic (or lack of), if I imagine a fire breathing dragon attacking my neighbors, there will be a fire breathing dragon attacking my neighbors.

It doens't work like that. It's always very intimate and personal. I have studied it for years.

4 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

It doens't work like that. It's always very intimate and personal. I have studied it for years.

Then where are the facts that prove your point. We need to see evidence that supports your quantum claim. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Then where are the facts that prove your point. We need to see evidence that supports your quantum claim. 

I second this @sci-nerd, what have you been able to achieve? 

You need to understand that some of us have been on here for years, I used to be much more open minded, but’s it’s the believers claims and lack of any real proof which has made me the skeptic I am today. 

I’d love for what people are claiming to be true, but it should be so easily proven and it hasn’t been at all. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

On a site called unexplained mysteries, where I try to give a scientific explanation to a phenomena, I am being challenged to the core of the science, which I've already explained.

You must ask yourself, Xenofish, why you are here? Is it to debunk everything? Will you never allow the boundaries of science a shot?

4 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

On a site called unexplained mysteries, where I try to give a scientific explanation to a phenomena, I am being challenged to the core of the science, which I've already explained.

You must ask yourself, Xenofish, why you are here? Is it to debunk everything? Will you never allow the boundaries of science a shot?

You’ve not given an explanation, you’ve offered an idea, your opinion. That is all.

An explanation would be far more detailed and would actually explain what you’re claiming. Saying it’s QM and you just have to believe is not an explanation. 

• The topic was locked