Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Breathing under Water

Disembodied Voice

12 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

And you'll lose nothing but your frown ;)

Or your life.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know science. I love science. I worship science. But science needs pioneers to advance.
And I am not the guy to sit back and wait for others to do it. Exploration is in my nature. Risk is a turn-on for me. Impossible is not existing in my mind. Limits today is tomorrows breakthrough. In fact there's only one thing I doubt will ever happen: Backwards time travel.

But this subject of breathing water is over for me. I gave my two cents. Most of you disgreed and mocked me. So be it. I would hold back on the mocking in the future, if I were you. Because it tells more about your own rotten nature, than about the person you attack.

46 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Because it tells more about your own rotten nature, than about the person you attack.

I don't need anyone to tell me about my rotten nature. I know I'm a pessimistic, cynical piece of ****. Least I'm honest about it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/8/2011 at 1:27 PM, Disembodied Voice said:

When I was a little kid I would swim all summer every summer and it was weird cause it felt like I could breath under water for a little bit. It was like an air bubble that I kept breathing in and out in with short breaths...that's what it felt like at least...it's an odd memory but I remember it very well. Anyone experienced this? Could this be some kind of divers technique that I learned on my own? I haven't gone swimming in years so I don't know if I can still do it...I don't know if it was my imagination or not but I could stay under water for a long time back then..holding my breath or breathing under water (lol) :P but seriously what do you think? Please don't mock me. I know someone out there has experienced the same thing..

I'm replying 7 years late and hope you see this but i actually have experienced the exact same thing when i was little! I was just sitting on the couch now and randomly remembered about it so i figured to google it and that's how i found your comment! I don't know how to logically explain it and it kind of sounds crazy but i remember it quite clearly though it was many years ago.. I'm so surprised to see you've experienced the same thing, did you discover anything about it or is it still a mystery haha

19 hours ago, Oddboddd said:

I'm replying 7 years late and hope you see this but i actually have experienced the exact same thing when i was little! I was just sitting on the couch now and randomly remembered about it so i figured to google it and that's how i found your comment! I don't know how to logically explain it and it kind of sounds crazy but i remember it quite clearly though it was many years ago.. I'm so surprised to see you've experienced the same thing, did you discover anything about it or is it still a mystery haha

#MeToo :D

Could it be an ancient memory from when our ancestors were ocean dwelling creatures,somehow passed down in evolution.

I mean it's not like we should ever doubt our memories (did you forget the snorkel you just happened to have..)..  And hey, it's a really safe thing to do - try it folks...!!!! {/sarcasm}

Seriously, guys, this is just silly and potentially dangerous.  You might as well suggest chopping your leg off as a good way to lose weight

• Like 1

On 01/07/2018 at 7:18 AM, sci-nerd said:

"I am not a physicist but I could imagine that most of today’s physicists are more about materialism than pure science for its own sake. Was it Scientific American magazine that said upwards of 90% of today's scientists are of the atheist/materialist persuasion? Of these scientists, only a small percentage are theoretical physicists, or funded pure science researchers. Most are working scientists engaged in working on sciences for direct monetary reward. In order to keep a science career, you have to sign on as a materialist minded one, or risk loosing your career. Are such persons likely to care about psi research? Probably not.

I have reviewed the results of this experiment as well as the ganzfield psi experiments and find no reason to doubt evidence of psi. Even the skeptics were able to repeat these experiments and get similar results. Ray Hyman of the Skeptical Enquirer admitted that the results were persuasive by any normal standards of science. However, his professional and public statement to the world was that “extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.” Does anyone notice a hypocrisy here?

It is apparent that what we call the “sciences” has been co-opted by “pseudo skeptic” gatekeepers of scientific materialism. We give more credence to bizarre materialist theories such as multiverses, exotic string theories, IIT, etc., all of which have exactly zero evidence, because of the persuasive power of the materialist mind set. Perhaps physicists around the world will shift their own mind set when they realized the inadequacy of scientific materialism to account for simple reality."

Written by Engineer Roy Smith on Quora.com

Repeating bad experiments does nothing. 

The Ganzfeld experiment is a bad experiment.

Believers recording positive results from the said bad experiment does nothing. 

Sceptics recording positive results from the said bad experiment also does nothing. 

Do you have any issue with the Ganzfeld experiment method? 

Please just reply to the question this time, don’t ignore or side-step it. 

On 5/7/2018 at 8:32 AM, Timothy said:

Repeating bad experiments does nothing. 

The Ganzfeld experiment is a bad experiment.

Believers recording positive results from the said bad experiment does nothing. 

Sceptics recording positive results from the said bad experiment also does nothing. 

Do you have any issue with the Ganzfeld experiment method? 

Please just reply to the question this time, don’t ignore or side-step it. 

I'm not going to defend it.

I'm just saying it's easy to make the changes required and check the results. If anyone would care to do it.

I wonder why they don't.....? It would be groundbreaking!

7 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

I'm not going to defend it.

I'm just saying it's easy to make the changes required and check the results. If anyone would care to do it.

I wonder why they don't.....? It would be groundbreaking!

People have tried and not gotten positive results, that’s the whole damned point my dear friend.

There’s been no properly conducted experiment in human history which has been both measurable and repeatable on this subject.

1 hour ago, Timothy said:

People have tried and not gotten positive results, that’s the whole damned point my dear friend.

There’s been no properly conducted experiment in human history which has been both measurable and repeatable on this subject.

Who have tried? Do you have references? You seem sure.

If you investigate which kind of people who are most averted towards "exotic" ideas, it's the medium intelligent ones. This group of people are very sure of their knowledge and have very strict limitations to what they accept as possible. This group is approximately in the IQ range of 110-130. When we get above 130 we tend to find much more open minded people, who are not so sure at all. They are capable of grasping possibilities that most people struggle with, and they are not afraid to "lose their grip" on consensus reality.

35 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Who have tried? Do you have references? You seem sure.

If you investigate which kind of people who are most averted towards "exotic" ideas, it's the medium intelligent ones. This group of people are very sure of their knowledge and have very strict limitations to what they accept as possible. This group is approximately in the IQ range of 110-130. When we get above 130 we tend to find much more open minded people, who are not so sure at all. They are capable of grasping possibilities that most people struggle with, and they are not afraid to "lose their grip" on consensus reality.

Unless you can present valid evidence to support your claim, you are all talk. 

main-qimg-e106da6bb76d4a72fd83b2b0a5731c

The less intelligent a person is the less open minded they are. Average IQ is about 100. Now, before you further insult the intelligence of individuals who question things and seek valid answers. How intelligent are you? 

On 6/30/2018 at 4:42 PM, XenoFish said:

Rope, cinder block, and a river. Tie the rope around your ankles, then to the block, jump into the deep water. See how long you can breath underwater without drowning. As for the world/reality, it ain't much. Neither is humanity for that matter. 

That's not how it works. That is not how you breathe underwater. Maybe if you guys actually tried to fathom what you were reading instead of putting words in other people's mouths you would see that your way to breathe underwater is not how it's done.

On 6/30/2018 at 4:49 PM, Piney said:

Or your life.......

We never said it wasn't dangerous. All we said was that it is possible. It has been done before. I'm not sure how, and that's what I'm trying to figure out.

6 minutes ago, Anonymous Girl said:

That's not how it works. That is not how you breathe underwater. Maybe if you guys actually tried to fathom what you were reading instead of putting words in other people's mouths you would see that your way to breathe underwater is not how it's done.

Scuba gear? Because unassisted people drown. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Anonymous Girl said:

We never said it wasn't dangerous. All we said was that it is possible. It has been done before. I'm not sure how, and that's what I'm trying to figure out.

Can we get something that validates this claim that isn't pseudoscience? 

• Thanks 1

I hate to be nasty, but I'm trying to find a way - any way - to try to help you guys see this from our point of view. I see it from yours. We have no evidence yet. You only have our word to go by, and you don't know us. It's dangerous to try to replicate. I see your point. I know it sounds crazy. I know it IS crazy. But arguing about your point of view isn't going to change people's minds or find out the truth.

7 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Scuba gear? Because unassisted people drown. 

Without scuba gear. Just you and the water.

6 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Can we get something that validates this claim that isn't pseudoscience? 

I can't make you believe yet. I'm trying. But right now, you only have my word. I can't convince my word is true. But that doesn't mean that it is not possible. At one point in time, flying was impossible. Then airplanes came along. Actually, that's a terrible example, but I hope you get the point.

Just now, XenoFish said:

You drown. 

Again, can't convince you yet. Only my word. But of course, I don't recommend trying it at all. 

Just now, Anonymous Girl said:

Again, can't convince you yet. Only my word. But of course, I don't recommend trying it at all. 

Because it can not be done. Water is not oxygen saturated enough to make it real. Technologies such as liquid breathing are still being tested. (I provided a link earlier in this thread). 

No one at all should try it. Unless you want your woo to be the cause of some idiots death. 

Because some moron will try to breath water. 

• The topic was locked