Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Missing link' of Universe found

Still Waters

Astronomers have discovered the "missing link" in the evolution of the universe following the Big Bang, it has been claimed.

For years scientists have known nothing about the "dark ages" of space – a period between the Big Bang 13.7 billion years ago and the creation of the first stars.

But Cambridge University researchers have now captured light emitted from a massive black hole to peer into this unknown portion of the history of the universe.

They discovered remnants of the first stars and evidence of the aftermath of an exploding star, which was 25 times larger than the sun.

Prof Max Pettini, of Cambridge's Institute of Astronomy, believes the discovery of these gases could help reveal the origins of the universe.

He said: "We have effectively been able to peer into the Dark Ages using the light emitted from a quasar.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• giacomo

• BaneSilvermoon

• Still Waters

• ShadowSot

How can they see light captured by the black hole from a dark time in space?

There would be no light for the black hole to catch....would there?

I just went over it again and realised what i said makes me look like an idiot :)

Edited by ollyhw45

only god knows how long it's been. after all he created the heavens. i really dont think it's been 13.7 billion years ago. i do beleive in astronomy, but i think it's funny when they say it like it was just yesterday. all they can really do is guess how long it's been anyway!!!

only god knows how long it's been. after all he created the heavens. i really dont think it's been 13.7 billion years ago. i do beleive in astronomy, but i think it's funny when they say it like it was just yesterday. all they can really do is guess how long it's been anyway!!!

Now that's the trouble you see...arguments from ignorance !

They actually know to a high degree of the distances involved.They do this thing were they gather data,research and test the findings by applying them to other bodies closer to us...they confer, it's called the scientific method.

The Universe is approx 14 billion years old...now technology may advance to extreme standards over the next 500 years but you can be assured with the utmost certainty that the age of the Universe will not be older than 14 nor younger than 13 billion years.

Now what you have to reconcile with is your own common sence...you appear to believe in a God yet it doesn'tsit comfortably with you wondering what he was doing the last 14 billion years until he made us.

Edited by philbo

It's a baby step towards possible answers. Now, if they can only find the "missing link" between humans and primates.

It's a baby step towards possible answers. Now, if they can only find the "missing link" between humans and primates.

Since humans are primates, we don't need a missing link between the two. It's like asking for a missing link between you and your great uncle.

*shakes head*