Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Thoughts On Zeitgeist

snoghorn

I've seen em all, with Moving Forward the most recent.

The idea behind Zeitgeist is noble, there's no disputing that. Sometimes Zeitgeist does kinda bug me a bit, for example in Moving Forward in the middle part where he explains how everything should change but...it's just not that easy. Saying stuff like "well, transportation, of for example car-parts, around the world is bad for the environment so we have to produce stuff in the same country and only consume the stuff from in that country."

That just sounds like a big leap back in time. All the stuff that is needed to create a single thing simply aren't always to be found in the same country. Also there's a thing called taxes which could bankrupt a company before even starting.

They pretend like it's all done in a flash, but ppl and scientist are already thinking of ways to be more efficient. Making a documentary about it isn't necessesarily gonna make it go faster. There are tons of in-between-steps they just pass by like it won't be any trouble.

Also the suggestion to change infrastructure of cities....well the cities already exist...to change their entire infrastructure would mean to bomb every existing city and start again. Which doesn't really sound like a good fix.

What I do fullheartedly agree with is automatisation. Replacing jobs with robots. Problem with that is the in-between-years where money is still a factuality and many ppl would be left without.

Also the fact that they do talk about how it's a big problem that Economists have more power than Scientists. Economists do everything for money, not for wellbeing. Scientists do it the other way around.

Another person who speaks about this in a very well brought speech is Naomi Klein: We take risks, others pay the price: http://edition.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/02/20/sk.taking.ted.talk/index.html

( Naomi Klein is the author of "The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism" (2007) and "No Logo: Taking Aim at the Brand Bullies" (2001, 2010). She is currently at work on a new book and film on how the climate crisis can spur economic and political transformation.)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SlimJim22

• snoghorn

• SolarPlexus

• dekker87

I think it comes down to one thing essentialy. Money leads to power because it allows for choice and the explotation of risk and investment. With power should come responsibility to correct problems ranging from the environment to education. They cannot have it both ways and yes I am talking primarily about major corporations who benefit most from the suffering of others and are therefore in the position to correct it.

Changing the system so that bankers are not rewarded for what amounts to theft from people lower down the scale would also help. Robin Hood taxes maybe but do we really need for middle men to be rewarded so greatly. I don't think so and if communities could produce and sustain themselves we would all be a lot better off.