Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] ET! You don't scare us:

Still Waters

The sight of flying saucers over Britain, so science fiction would have us believe, would see panicking mobs in the streets.

But it seems we may be far more worldly than writers, or over-protective governments, have ever given us credit for.

Psychologist Dr Albert Harrison argues that people have become so used to the idea of alien life that they would be ‘unfazed’ if the proof appeared before their eyes.

He said things have changed ­dramatically since 1961, when the U.S. Congress was warned evidence of extra-terrestrials would lead to widespread panic.

In North America and Europe at least, neither the discovery of an alien nor the detection of alien

radio signals were now likely to lead to ‘widespread psychological disintegration and collapse’, he concluded.

Advances in our technology have brought civilisation to a point where the idea of other beings travelling through space to Earth no longer seems far-fetched or frightening,’

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Coffey

• Kali74

• jbondo

• quillius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Could it be that governments have gradually been preparing public opinion for this eventuality over many decades, using the mass media to convey the idea that there are many other alien civilizations "out there" and some have even been interacting with earth for a very long time?

I would submit that there's strong circumstantial evidence that something like this has been happening, at least since the 1950s. Even back then, we have flat out public statements by many civilian and military leaders that this was the case, and I've often wondered whether certain movies and TV series over the years like ET, Close Encounters, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Star Trek and the X-Files, have been based on "suggestions" from government sources.

Could it be that governments have gradually been preparing public opinion for this eventuality over many decades, using the mass media to convey the idea that there are many other alien civilizations "out there" and some have even been interacting with earth for a very long time?

I would submit that there's strong circumstantial evidence that something like this has been happening, at least since the 1950s. Even back then, we have flat out public statements by many civilian and military leaders that this was the case, and I've often wondered whether certain movies and TV series over the years like ET, Close Encounters, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Star Trek and the X-Files, have been based on "suggestions" from government sources.

Yeah this is a good point and one I often think about. That Planet 51 was one of the films I will pick out as an example of this. Aimed at children as well and showing how we would be aliens to what we call aliens etc. Reminds me of earlier cartoons when they tried to overcome racism etc.

I agree McGuffin, but I feel like it's coming to a head. There's no rational reason I feel this way though. lol

I agree McGuffin, but I feel like it's coming to a head. There's no rational reason I feel this way though. lol

It's going to be pretty weird if it comes out in 2012 though. lol

It's going to be pretty weird if it comes out in 2012 though. lol

:rofl: How ironic would it be that just as the world learns of ET we get blasted with a massive solar flare or something?

Alan Boyle writes:Would the detection of extraterrestrial life cause the kind of paranoia or alien worship we see in science-fiction shows ranging from "The Day the Earth Stood Still" to "V"? In a fresh round of studies, scientists and theologians suggest it really wouldn't have much impact on what we do or what we believe.

http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/01/09/5802114-would-alien-life-change-your-life

To answer your question, No, it would not change my everyday life. I would follow it on the news just like all the other news on different countries. The only way it would change my life is if they hired me for something or had a direct impact on my everyday life.

Speculation. The only way we can know, is to experience it first-hand.

:rofl: How ironic would it be that just as the world learns of ET we get blasted with a massive solar flare or something?

HAHAHA!

(US president) Today I announce to the world that we have been in contact with beings from another planet for the past 60 years, (someone comes up and whispers in his ear) Oh sorry I have to cut this short, the world is away to be blown into pieces due to a huge asteroid which will impact in 10 minutes.... Please people I advise you not to panic! (then the president runs away with his arms in the air screaming) LOL

Edited by Coffey

HAHAHA!

(US president) Today I announce to the world that we have been in contact with beings from another planet for the past 60 years, (someone comes up and whispers in his ear) Oh sorry I have to cut this short, the world is away to be blown into pieces due to a huge asteroid which will impact in 10 minutes.... Please people I advise you not to panic! (then the president runs away with his arms in the air screaming) LOL

LOL

HAHAHA!

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming.

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming.

Perfect ending. :tu: LOL

Yeah I think it is more a case of the alien phenomena being assimilated into popular culture now due to motion pictures, X-Files etc, so even though many may still scoff at the idea, we have gained some acceptance of it, whatever side of the fence your legs dangle.

IF SOME INTELLIGENT LIFE FORM WAS TO VISIT OUR PLANET i DO NOT SEE THEM MAKING CONTACT WITH A COMPLEX CROP CIRCLE.tHEY WOULD MAKE THEMSELVES KNOWN IN A FRIENDLY WAY,JUST AS WE WOULD IF WE WERE VISITING THEIR PLANET. oUR SCIENTISTS WOULD WANT HELP IN SOLVING MANY PROBLEMS . i FOR ONE WOULD WELCOME ALIENS AND OUR KNOWLEDGE COULD LEAPFROG . wHY DO SOME PEOPLE THINK THAT AN EXTRA TERERRESTRIAL WOULD COME WITH EVIL INTENTIONS.

I think it would change the world considerably. There would be all sorts of world-wide debate and real public pressure to devalop space travel. Religeon and science would be turned upside down and the politicians and media would have a field day playing on peoples fears and anxieties about potential alien invasions. It could eventually polarize the world.

It would be a feat of amazing coplexity to get just one spaceship to visit us. An invasion of millions to clolonise us,.....Mind boggoling

The thing that I would be worried about is the potential for us being infected with some virus they carried or them by us. But if they could travel here I would think they would be prepared.

That is one thing I have often thought about when hearing of an abduction or seeing a movie / tv show where there is alien contact. You never see them wearing protective gear or anything of the sort.

IF SOME INTELLIGENT LIFE FORM WAS TO VISIT OUR PLANET i DO NOT SEE THEM MAKING CONTACT WITH A COMPLEX CROP CIRCLE.tHEY WOULD MAKE THEMSELVES KNOWN IN A FRIENDLY WAY,JUST AS WE WOULD IF WE WERE VISITING THEIR PLANET. oUR SCIENTISTS WOULD WANT HELP IN SOLVING MANY PROBLEMS . i FOR ONE WOULD WELCOME ALIENS AND OUR KNOWLEDGE COULD LEAPFROG . wHY DO SOME PEOPLE THINK THAT AN EXTRA TERERRESTRIAL WOULD COME WITH EVIL INTENTIONS.

You left your caps lock on. :tu: LOL

They might not be able to use language or telepathy to comunicate so they use art......Just sayin!

i personally, taking this point of view, would either be like the TV series "V" as far as their true possible agendas or it could end up being like the movie "KNOWING".

Well they do say it will be a new era of enlightenment. Could this be it? i doubt it but i guess only time will tell.

What makes you think they come with benevolent intentions?

I dont think they would travel all this way just to sight-see. Their would have top be some purpose. And i would think they wouldve made contact by now if they were here. Why wait?

If, for example, there was aliens that lived on Mars. We sent rovers and such there. Dont you think they wouldve been shot down? Did we send a message of peace on these just in case? No. (as far as i know).

Maybe our scientists wouldnt be worthy of getting or being let in on their advanced knowlege. Maybe they have been watching us for eons and used to help ancient man but as we have grown intellectually/technologically, and they have seen which direction that this technology goes for: (Military Industrial complex). They have since stopped making direct contact because ideally we arent ready for this and would most likely use it for the wrong reasons.

Or, if not even this being the cause. What if over the eons they have seen man evolving backwards with losing the spirituality that we've had in the past. Maybe all the Gods were actually aliens and we are being punished for our evolutionary sins by us being left here to lose this spirituality and seem to be gaining an overwhelming certainty for self destruction.

Just a thought. :P

Dr Albert Harrison is out of his psychological mind. I've always contended that should aliens land and make themselves known there would be chaos and I stand by that notion.

Many people that frequent these types of message boards don't realize that the vast majority of the general public do not keep tabs on UFOs or even have a passing interest. Do you really think these people are desensitized? I say BS! In fact I've also said that those who make claims of what they would do are just fooling themselves. It's easy to predict your actions before the fact. Nobody really knows how they would react to the most monumental happening in the history of the planet.

honestly i don't see aliens showing up with a huge fanfare saying here let us solve your problems and give you our technology. it would be quiet they'd infiltrate and watch us. Just to learn if we were a threat to them or not.