Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
StarMountainKid

Hubble Telescope - Green Blob in Space [merged]

StarMountainKid
The Hubble Space Telescope got its first peek at a mysterious giant green blob in outer space and found that it's strangely alive.
Parts of the green blob are collapsing and the resulting pressure from that is creating the stars. The stellar nurseries are outside of a normal galaxy, which is usually where stars live.

That makes these "very lonely newborn stars" that are "in the middle of nowhere," said Bill Keel, the University of Alabama astronomer who examined the blob.

Quotes from Yahoo.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110110/ap_on_sc/us_sci_space_blob

http://www.spacetelescope.org/news/heic1102/

Edited by StarMountainKid

Mentalcase

I personally think that it's the birth of a galaxy. Perhaps this is how galaxies form from infancy. Starts with ejected matter from a nearby galaxy, only to form stars, eventually creating a super massive black hole. Which may take billions of years to eventually form.

Or, perhaps there is already a black hole there and it has been trapping gases and matter to form new stars. Otherwise, I would assume the nearby galaxy would attract all the matter and pull it in closer. Very cool article!

Thanks!

Edited by Mentalcase

StarMountainKid

If in the future, stars born in this cloud had planetary systems with intelligent life on some of the planets, their inhabitants would have a spectacular view of that galaxy in their night sky. Those planets might still be imbedded in the nebula, what would that look like to the inhabitants? Like an glowing aurora filling the entire sky above them?

Early in they're civilizations, what myths would be invented to explain what they see? It's all interesting to think about.

Mentalcase

If in the future, stars born in this cloud had planetary systems with intelligent life on some of the planets, their inhabitants would have a spectacular view of that galaxy in their night sky. Those planets might still be imbedded in the nebula, what would that look like to the inhabitants? Like an glowing aurora filling the entire sky above them?

Early in they're civilizations, what myths would be invented to explain what they see? It's all interesting to think about.

Yes, a very cool tought! I would imagine the galaxy would appear closer then we would think it does. It could be similar to what we see, with the green blob in place. Tons of stars would light up the night sky, probably making it brighter at night then we observe.

I could write many books with the things I imagine happening out there. Not really my cup of tea, writing books that is. Although, I could find myself daydreaming about it forever!

Green blobs are cool! B)

The Big Boss

Green blobs are cool! B)

tr4_z.jpg

Indeed, they are.

Mentalcase

tr4_z.jpg

Indeed, they are.

That made me laugh!!

Hey bigboss, ltns!

How ya been brother??

Kitana2010

if you zoom in on the green cloud and kinda tilt your head, it looks like an alien flipping you off. lol!

danielost

the same as it looks for us, we are inside a nebula. and the intel. life will probablr call their galaxy the milky way or what ever their words for it is.

Heroic Bishop

The joker in me wants to say "Are you sure the last astronaut up there servicing hubble didn't sneeze on the lens?" (I know I know, it wouldn't get out of his helmet lol)

But in all seriousness it is a fascinating find and an equally fascinating article. Just shows the universe is a wonderous place that just keeps amazing us with each new discovery.

Moonshine
A new picture may help scientists unravel the mystery of a vast green blob discovered in a galaxy millions of light years away.

arrow3.gifRead more...

I thought this was very interesting. It also helped me understand where some stars came from :o