Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can ghosts be dissproved by dodgy wiring?

spectral

Parascience, a Wirral-based group, which investigates supernatural goings-on, is planning what it hopes will be the most comprehensive survey ever conducted into ghosts.

It comes as researchers offer a possible explanation about why certain people should be more prone than others to ghostly experiences and why these should be far more common in places, which would otherwise seem ordinary.

In short, it seems that such experiences could result from high amplitude electro-magnetic fields (EMF). Laboratory experiments conducted by Prof Michael Persinger at the psychology department of the Laurentian University, Ontario, have suggested that people are susceptible to paranormal sensations when their brains are exposed to high rates of EMF.

To see if similar results could be found outside the laboratory, Parascience visited a supposedly haunted farmhouse in the Knutsford area of Cheshire. Family members, who had been particularly concerned about weird happenings in one room, contacted the group after hearing a radio broadcast about ghosts.

Investigators found two ancient, frayed electricity cables attached to the guttering board outside the room.

Parascience's findings are now available on the internet. The group is composed of individuals, mostly from professional backgrounds, who are interested in paranormal activity. Their painstaking research into hundreds of buildings, where people have experienced peculiar goings-on, has gained thema reputation for sound judgment, at a time when parapsychology courses are being offered at many universities.

On a lighter side, earlier this month, some of them took part in a TV experiment for the Living TV channel at Fyvie Castle, Aberdeenshire, said to be one of the most haunted buildings in the UK and home to the Green Lady.

Among the Parascience investigators in Scotland were Steve Parsons, 42, an instrument technician from Rock Ferry, who left Wirral Grammar School with 11 O levels. He is married to Alison and they have a daughter, Helen, eight.

One of the others there was Ann Winsper, 39, from Ellesmere Port, an old girl of Queen's School, Chester, now a pharmacy technician, who is studying for a degree in psychology at the Liverpool John Moores University.

"We didn't find the Green Lady, but we did find a few odd happenings," she says.

"They all happened in the room (the Dunfermline dressing room) where the furniture was stuffed to keep it out of the way. We think the ghost was hiding in there because were so many people in the castle."

Well, er, ghosts were seen before the invention of electricity. So that kinda kills the whole faulty wiring theory.

Well, er, ghosts were seen before the invention of electricity. So that kinda kills the whole faulty wiring theory.

I may be completely wrong here, something tells me electricity was discovered rather than invented, and has likely been here just as long as ghosts ((if not longer)) wink2.gif

It doesn't kill the faulty wiring theory because the faulty wiring theory you speak of doesn't exist ((and if it does, it wasn't mentioned here)). The theory at hand resolves around high amplitude electro-magnetic fields. Faulty wiring may cause a high amplitude EMF, but EMFs aren't dependant on faulty wiring as they occur in outdoor/unwired areas as well.

Of course electricity has been around since, well,,,since,,,FOREVER. Hasn't anyone ever seen lightning? whistling2.giflaugh.gif

The fact is, EMF's are naturally occurring phenomena on Earth and in The Universe. I have read and heard that Natural EMF's may be responsible for many kinds of paranormal sightings and experiences. It's said that they might even increase Psychic Abilities in ppl who do not necessarily possess extraordinary abilities. That doesn't mean that you should wrap frayed wires around your head, but The Brain's own electromagnetism is said to be amplified in some areas of The World by EMF's. It's also suggested that The Pyramids of Egypt and Central America, Machu Pichu, Stone Henge and many many other Ancient Holy Sights and Cities are built atop places where these Naturallly Occurring EMF's are located. It's even been claimed by some that The Vatican and The Temple Mount of Jerusalem are also locations where naturally occurring EMF's exist.

People without extraordinary paranormal abilities might pass over OR go to one of these areas and say that they get strange or odd vibes or even wonderful, uplifting feelings from these places. This research might actually have merit,,,afterall, this is NOT a new concept at all!!!

If anyone is interested in more info about Natural EMF's, I can provide further data and facts at a later time. As for now, I have to get ready for work now. wacko.gifsad.gifhuh.gif

• Like 1

Yeah, okay, discovered, not invented. Shush. tongue.gif

Well, the title of the thread is dodgy wiring, so I was addressing EMF's from that specifically.

Just going to chuck my 6 eggs in here ~

Yes, under laboratory conditions, poltergiest effects have been produced - as have the sensations of cold spots, being touched,and seeing shadowy fugures. This was created by low frequency sound waves and electro magnetic fields.

Most animals are sensitive to this - is this why we believe that an animal behaves strangley in a haunted area because it's sensing ghosts????

Hammy x x x

Lonecat here,

What interests me just as much as the idea of the research programme is why stuffed furniture should keep it out of the way. Out of the way of what? If I take the stuffing out of my furniture, does it mean that it becomes an obstacle as well as uncomfortable?

I have faulty wiring too but don't actually SEE ghosts in my dwelling. All I get is Poltergeists.

Lonecat wacko.gifcat.gif

EMF might have something to do with paranormal or ghostly activitites but the effects created in laborotories have so far been weak and pretty vague and hardly account for full blown hauntings where different people see the same spectre over a period of time or one off spirit communications etc. Jenny randles takes this idea further in her book Time Storms and speculates that EMF, rather than explaining away such events is actually the medium through which these things operate and/or manifest.

Who knows????

• 8 years later...

I have a question for you. I had an interior door that was damaged. The damaged area had an emf signature to it but the door was made of wood cardboard and glue. And it was definitely the door producing the emf. We checked the area and removed the door and checked it in a different location. We also tore apart the door to make sure there wasn't anything inside the door. Later we burned the remains of the door and replaced it.

the new door has no emf coming from it. Also the unexplained sound of a telephone in the area of the door stopped as soon as the door was replaced.

You might consider looking at when the last time spectral was active on this forum (assuming that was who you were addressing your question to) as this thread is eight years old.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes bad wiring can produce high Emfs.

Yes it has been noted where there is high emf there has been sightings.

It is said that high emf areas may cause you to imaging things such as spirits and odd noises and having unusual feelings. Of course the possibility of a haunting is discounted in those circumstances but i have yet to see a controlled exposure of emf in a lab setting to prove that it is a medical condition due to exposure of high emf.