Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Earth's shift adds a 13th Zodiac sign [merged x2]

SV-001

It's not that simple. It matters what astrology you follow. Chances are yours hasn't changed. A main Eastern form, for example, called Sidereal astrology, looks to the background stars. While Western astrology -- which uses the zodiac -- has its signs fixed to the seasons. Most Westerners, and all those horoscope pages we eagerly check, go by the zodiac. These signs follow what early astrologers called star signs, whose reference points are the tropics that form a ring around the earth. The zodiac is based on our relationship to the sun, not the stars. If you follow astrology that is linked to the constellations, your sign would go from say, a Gemini to a Taurus. In short, if you follow the Sidereal astrology, the Eastern branch, your sign may have shifted. (And most likely, no surprise to you at all: This news is hundreds of years old). But for the rest of us, our horoscope, and our signs, are still the same.

I must be a super hard core Taurus, mine stayed the same! YEY!!

:lol:

You sure seem annoyed but who are you actually talking to?

Are you speaking to the ones who are light hearted in this thread or are you attempting to speak to the ones who made this system up who arnt actually here?

It seems as if you are saying those who say they are now the 13th sign(or their sign has changed)are crowing and that you thought they knew about astrology. And then You call Them ********s?... :huh:

talking to the people that I first saw put this out in the media a few years back. Not so much the people here having fun with it. Just the idiots that came up with it. Astronomy is one thing, but Astrology is some thing else. it would benice if more people knew about astrology and weren't so rabidly skeptic/completely gullible.

I'd like to apply for a job where I had to put my chart in my resume!

It may be bunk, but before Christianity attempted to wipe out the old (lunar) religion, which always had 13 months (thus 13 became unclucky) there ALWAYS was a 13th zodiac sign but it was Arachnid, the Spider. Thus the effort to make us scared of spiders too.

This whole thing is Taurus Dung, and the astronomer who came up with it (Parke Kunkle) is just taking the Pisces.

I mean, what kind of sadistic freaks would name their son "Parke Kunkle" for gawds sake ? No wonder the poor boy is confused.

meow purr :)

i just skimmed this forum post

but anyone else find it a bit off that scorpio is only 6 days in range on the list posted here

Scorpio: November 23 - November 29

whereas the link states

Thus the adjustment of zodiac dates as follows:

Capricorn: January 20-February 16

Aquarius: February 16-March 11

Pisces: March 11-April 18

Aries: April 18-May 13

Taurus: May 13-June 21

Gemini: June 21-July 20

Cancer: July 20-August 10

Leo: August 10-September 16

Virgo: September 16-October 30

Libra: October 30-November 23

Scorpio: November 23-December 17

Sagittarius: December 17-January 20

edit to add: nothing on the site linked says anything about a 13th sign (link on the main page that is) http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/298420/its-all-stars-new-zodiac-dates-released

Edited by joshy

but anyone else find it a bit off that scorpio is only 6 days in range on the list posted here

whereas the link states

edit to add: nothing on the site linked says anything about a 13th sign (link on the main page that is) http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/298420/its-all-stars-new-zodiac-dates-released

Anyone else notice the last day of one sign is the first day of the next?

So this makes me a Leo-Virgo?.....makes no sense.

Anyone else notice the last day of one sign is the first day of the next?

So this makes me a Leo-Virgo?.....makes no sense.

Could changes in Earth's tilt be due to the speculated dark body close encounter event which occurred 40,000 years ago a.k.a frozen siberian mammoths with buttercups in their mouths??

I'm an Aries no matter what this "new" calander says. There is no way I'm a pieces all of a sudden. It doesn't even fit me. I don't believe it.

What I find funny is how now there are 10 different ways the zodiac was chosen, that should just show people its a load of crap.

oh men My birthday is Dec 16 im was a sagitario but bow boooooo

Figures, I would be the one that changes,laugh.gif

Ophiuchus, which is Greek for “serpent barer,

Now have to reinvent myself all over again..

Says Kunkle:

If you take a toy top and spin it, it spins around an axis and that axis tends to point in different directions. It moves around. That's what we call precession. So in Earth's case, right now, Earth's spin axis points towards Polaris, the North Star. But in 3000 BC, the Earth's axis pointed towards a different star,
. And that majestic motion takes about 26,000 years. so if you went from 3,000 B.C. and waited 26,000 years, you'd have the north star Thuban again.

This phenomenon was first noticed around 130 B.C. by a Greek astronomer, Hipparchus of Nicea. And as a result, if you actually look at what stars were positioned behind the sun on a particular date, that would have been very different 5,000 years ago than it would today. "We're in a different constellation now and that is the typical sun sign," based on the sun's position when you were born.

http://io9.com/5733004/your-zodiac-sign-may-have-changed-this-week

hahaha what a load of old crap, i was a virgo now im a leo, do i suddenly take on all their traits? i bet jupiter in scorpio cant answer that

Wow, everyone calm down about being changed. lol I think it counts on the one you where born on at the time. So unless you where born after the change then you still technically are the same star sign. I'm sure that is how it would work. I really am nothing like Aries, I was born a Taurus and I can tell you right now that when I read the star sign a couple of years back I was really shocked to find that it actually described me and my traits. I think there is somehting in the star sign thing as it';s based on when you where born etc which could cause people to be different. I think the new star signs only apply to those who are born now that they have changed.

And Oriental astrologers use the entire year as a single sign... Does that

mean that every one born in a certain year has the same traits?... Nope...

It is all a bunch of bunk... The entire trick to astrology is to word it as

vaguely as possible... To the point where anyone can read anything into it...

The only thing the day of your birth truely means is whether your mother had

to go to the hospital in the snow or not...

Edited by Taun

a new sign? -what about those of us, rare as we may be, who think Zodiac signs mean absolutely nothing....and are charity for the hopelss....Does this new "discovery" change anything for us?...

Gawd, I hope not, I'm already in tight with a virgo, and she hates change!

uhhmm.. now that even zodiac signs have changed.. therefore some of us can brag their two zodiac signs.. or even choose which zodiac signs suits them best... cool.. my old zodiac sign: Taurus, new: Aries-Taurus.. how bout you?

I've never really cared about astrology, but I've always been Sagittarius. My new sign (if I cared), would be Ophiuchus :cry:, if that were the case, I would rather be called Serpentarius. :wacko:

whereas the link states

Yes I noticed that as well ..according to the link ...Ophiuchus has not been added, they have just reset the dates of the original 12 zodiac signs so that their dates correspond correctly to their alignment with the Sun

“The moon's gravitational pull has slowly moved the Earth in its axis, creating about a one-month bump in the stars' alignment... Now, during what we think as the month of Pisces, the sun is actually in the sign of Aries…”

Kunkle added that science has not proven a clear connection between the stars and the universe and its direct affects on people’s character and behavior. “Sure, we can connect harvest to the stars. But personality? No.”

So I'm a Cancer now... I'm nothing like a Cancer! I'm Leo all the way, baby!

So now some astrologist is going to go screw up our astrological calendar now to go along with the already flawed Gregorian calendar. Peachy. I'm surrounded by liars & manipulators. :D