Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Caligula's Tomb Found

Sir Wearer of Hats

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Keel M.

• Funky Poacher

• WoIverine

• SilverOctavia

How is it that these tomb raiders are able to find treasures more easily than archaeologists??

They don't have to go through the legal system, get permits, yaddah yaddah?

That and they usually have better funding...

Haha, If that's Ray Park, I'm friends with the guy in your avatar. :tu:

Haha, If that's Ray Park, I'm friends with the guy in your avatar. :tu:

jawdrop.gif

Aaaaaand I won't do anything insanely fan-girlier than that.

Oh, and is it too late to say I Caligulove the news article?

Hmmmm. I hope they washed thier hands afterward...

Yeah but don't you have to have a pretty good idea of where to look?

I'm sure these people are very intelligent and well funded enough to do the necessary

research to get the job done.

Ok, wait... They found a statue with the boots that Caligula favored. That's great but how does this prove it's his tomb? It doesn't. I hope it is, Caligula is one of the most fascinating historical figures ever but I'm bugged that they are already declaring it his tomb before they have proven it. I think they jumped the gun a little here....Just sayin... Also, someone above mentioned that maybe he had lead poisoning. Very likely. Even more likely though is an STD left untreated to the point of affecting the brain. I think brain encephalitis is the common theory as to why this man was so crazy....

Also, Caligula was hated by the Roman public and was assassinated by his own guards. They wouldn't have dedicated an elaborate tomb for him. I've decided the chances that this tomb belongs to him are slim. And as for examining his body to find out why so insane, well, he was cremated. So, I don't think that's going to happen either....

Ok, wait... They found a statue with the boots that Caligula favored. That's great but how does this prove it's his tomb? It doesn't. I hope it is, Caligula is one of the most fascinating historical figures ever but I'm bugged that they are already declaring it his tomb before they have proven it. I think they jumped the gun a little here....Just sayin... Also, someone above mentioned that maybe he had lead poisoning. Very likely. Even more likely though is an STD left untreated to the point of affecting the brain. I think brain encephalitis is the common theory as to why this man was so crazy....

Great point I think back then about everyone on the block had STD of some kind. It could be just a place they stuck anything that reminded them of him and covered it up. But then on the other hand you just never know it left me wondering what made them think it is a tomb in the first place. A little more info on it would have been nice.

Yeah I agree with ThePitOfReason, I thought the exact same thing, they have maybe uncovered a hidden storage area for anything that reminded them of the former emperor, and yes I too would like to see further information and the results of further excavations!

Edited by Vigilanis

Some people are finding it a little unlikely

"Italian police have claimed that the lost tomb of Caligula had been discovered south of Rome by looters, who were caught while trying to smuggle a large statue out of the country. However, Mary Beard of the University of Cambridge warns that “the details are pretty murky,” and that it “is almost inconceivable that this assassinated symbol of imperial monstrosity would have been given a grand monument.”

http://www.archaeology.org/news/?paged=2

Well done where he would supposed to sell those relics or may be some maniac researcher smuggling them all better than put it on the museum

How is it that these tomb raiders are able to find treasures more easily than archaeologists??

To even start a dig, archaeologists need to secure funding, do research, and do the government PC fanny about thing.....permits, risk assessments, secure diggers pay.....and plan trowel time at an inch of soil an hour to keep the possible finds in line with protocol......

Compared to the shonky donkey merchant. Dictated by greed, and nothing else except being a chancer with a black market just drooling to buy off their hands and spirit it away to oblivion and no more context. While unscrupulous people have silly amounts of cash and we have these days global links and ways to shift things by private jet etc, this will happen.

The Tucker Cross is still lost. If that can 'disappear' then this is just a blimp. Sad hey? Where there is money, corruption soon follows, sadly :mellow:

• 4 months later...

Why? Because they most likely grew up in the area and no it very well, and keep the locations a secret until they are done looting it. Most archaeologists only learn of these sites because they find artifacts for sale on the black market. They are lucky if they find any intact tomb at all.