Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hotel made of rubbish opens in Madrid

Still Waters

A hotel made entirely of rubbish has opened in the Spanish capital, Madrid.

The walls of the Beach Garbage Hotel are covered with detritus deposited by the tide in Europe, waste found at dumps and items bought at flea markets.

German artist Ha Schult built the five-bedroom hotel in the central Plaza de Callao as part of the city's hosting of the International Tourism Fair (Fitur).

Schult said he hoped to draw attention to the massive amount of waste generated by mass tourism in Europe.

"I created the Beach Garbage Hotel because the oceans of our planet are the biggest garbage dump," he told the AFP news agency.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mistydawn

• Harriet The Ripperologist

• EternalBlizzard

• Keymaker

I wonder how much Mr. Schult would want for a one-night stay? I'd rather sleep in the sand.

Quirky quirky.

why would a traveller stay in a hotel built of garbage, whose sole intention is to call attention to massive tourist pollution?

i see it's a temporary building, which is even more wasteful, don't you think?

Quote: "About 30% to 40% of the objects found in the temporary guesthouse were found on beaches in the UK, France, Germany, Italy and Spain."

Somehow I don't find this shocking, just very very depressing.:hmm:

That is accually pretty neat, if you could refine some of the trash into something usable for accual housing than that hotel might be a way to make people think about recycleing more stuff into bigger projects. I sorta have no idea what I am talking about, just thinking of something already being done somewhere I bet.

I'll bet it smells fantastic in there.....

That is accually pretty neat, if you could refine some of the trash into something usable for accual housing than that hotel might be a way to make people think about recycleing more stuff into bigger projects. I sorta have no idea what I am talking about, just thinking of something already being done somewhere I bet.

Okay your avator is kinda snarling at me but I gotta say, you come accross as "sweet."

Thing is, shouldn't we just get to the nub of the issue and say, "Humans need to NOT throw their crap away in the seas?

Thing is, shouldn't we just get to the nub of the issue and say, "Humans need to NOT throw their crap away in the seas?

I agree. But until people start recycling all the trash they possibly can, what's left

over will end up in landfills or the oceans. I think it's a pretty good way to bring

people's attention to a very serious situation. :unsure:

building a hotel means its neat and clean also its smells goods

this is great..... they convert a fouling trash into a good smelling building.........

I'll bet it smells fantastic in there.....

I bet half of the building is made of empty Febreeze cans too.