Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Two Suns? Twin Stars Could Be Visible From E

sean6

Not only that daniel Betelgeuse is over 600 light years away so it would take that many years for the light from it to reach us and we will all be dead and gone by this time anyways, We will not be seeing anything from Betelgeuse period,

don't be saying that mate, i've booked a week off work in august 2012 to witness this event. :o

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ShadowSot

• danielost

• Zamor

• Boe

don't be saying that mate, i've booked a week off work in august 2012 to witness this event. :o

:w00t: A whole week to see nothing happen Steve? :cry: ahh well man you can always have a few beers to pass the time :lol:

or it went super nova 600 years ago.

True but that senario would have already been discovered in our observation of the star, We would have already seen its death throws in a nice little light show but thats not the case though,

I have to say, the way it got cut off, every time I see the thread title I keep thinking it says something about twice the Vitamin E.

But as previously mentioned, if it bursts in 2012, we won't see it for another few centuries.

No, when astronomers talk about dates like this they talk about when it will be OBSERVED. They are talking about when the event will be visible from Earth not when it actual happened at the point of origin.

No, when astronomers talk about dates like this they talk about when it will be OBSERVED. They are talking about when the event will be visible from Earth not when it actual happened at the point of origin.

And while the celestial event could take place before the end of 2012, it may not occur for a million years.

This quote from the Article says it all, They have no clue when this will actually happen,, Thats the way I am interpreting it anyways,

Dont bother. when the world ends, alcohol will be more valuable than money. Stock up on that instead. :P

Yeah,,,:P

Im pretty sure Dr Carter means the star has possibly already exploded - 600 yrs ago so to speak - but the light from the supernova may reach us quite soon. Amazing if he's right. It'll be great for my tan.

Edited by Evilution13

Er... Yes, but many folks were talking about on this thread the star going nova and viewing it in 2012. In anycase the astronomer ib the article does not set the expectation, the article's author does.

If this happens during the night, a lot of people are going to wake up and not know wtf is going on :P

Will be more than a once in a life time experience, more like once in history. There may never be another moment in Earth's future where you will be able to watch a supernova with your own eyes (except our own sun maybe).

Edited by Finity

If this happens during the night, a lot of people are going to wake up and not know wtf is going on :P

That would be completely awesome. It'd be like the galaxy was trolling us. :w00t:

Oh I see. Thanks Shadowsot. 2012? Yes, many people might see it as a sign. I believe the ancient Chinese witnessed and documented a supernova that was visible during the day. According to calculations it's where the Crab Nebula is today. I wonder what this ones nebula might look like?

This is more disturbing :

...or result in the formation of a black hole 1300 light years from Earth,....
. It will eventually gobble us up.

This is more disturbing : . It will eventually gobble us up.

no, the event horizen is no larger than the star it is formed from plus what it eats.

Betelgeuse is the second supernovae to be highly bright in the history of modern man. 640 light years away...we will have a companion sun in the year 2650. None of us will live long enough to see it.

Astronomers made a discovery that a supernovae 800 light years away occurred over 10,000 years ago and could be observed by our ancestors at the time.

The last supernovae event seen from Earth was on Feb. 25, 1987 seen only in the southern hemisphere, such as Australia, South Africa or South America. The supernovae is either some sort of pulsar or quasar (not sure), but waspie dwarf can explain the details for us.

Edited by Desert Man

Sun=star

Exactly, just like duck=bird, but we are not talking about stars in general, we're talking about the stars that are suns.

Exactly, just like duck=bird, but we are not talking about stars in general, we're talking about the stars that are suns.

And the only distinction we make between the 2 is the amount of beneficial light we receive, wich imo is not much of a distinction at all... our sun is just a small star plain and simple that happens to be a bit closer to us.

A duck will always be a bird but a bird is not always a duck so that analogy between the two does not hold up.

I just find it a bit odd that allot of people see (or at-least talk about them as if) the sun and stars are 2 different things.

Edited by ScrooLoose

True but that senario would have already been discovered in our observation of the star, We would have already seen its death throws in a nice little light show but thats not the case though,

No, we see what it looked like 640 years ago, just because you look through a telescope doesn't change the time you look at it.

It's the same light that left the star 640 years ago you see.

Zam

A sun is a star that radiates heat and light and has a planetary system around it.

So it's hard to say what are suns before you know if there are planets orbiting it, but a sun is always a star.

Zam

Edited by Zamor

Will be more than a once in a life time experience, more like once in history. There may never be another moment in Earth's future where you will be able to watch a supernova with your own eyes (except our own sun maybe).

when this happens there is a chance for 3 months of it happening at night, since we will be between it and our star. by the way a sun is the local star or stars as the case may be.

when this happens there is a chance for 3 months of it happening at night, since we will be between it and our star. by the way a sun is the local star or stars as the case may be.

It is a sun if it has a planetary system, but it is the sun only to the planets in that solar system.

Zam

It is a sun if it has a planetary system, but it is the sun only to the planets in that solar system.

Zam

up until someone puts some space stations in orbit around a star with no planets.

And the only distinction we make between the 2 is the amount of beneficial light we receive, wich imo is not much of a distinction at all... our sun is just a small star plain and simple that happens to be a bit closer to us.

A duck will always be a bird but a bird is not always a duck so that analogy between the two does not hold up.

I just find it a bit odd that allot of people see (or at-least talk about them as if) the sun and stars are 2 different things.

There is a distinction between the two. That is why a sun is always a star but a star is not always a sun. Just like most people distinguish between ducks and birds, a duck is always a bird but a bird is not always a duck.