Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Your Thoughts on Sequels

Bracket

What are your thoughts on sequels? I know some people who refuse to see any sequels what so ever. I, on the other hand, am willing to give almost any movie a chance, be it sequel, prequel, remake, etc. Many people also use sequels as evidence that the film business has no new ideas. But, i argue that sequels are an inevitable product of business. If a product works, go with it.

So, what do you think? Are sequels a great chance to see a return of your favorite characters, or a sign of unoriginality in film?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bracket

• ~TheBigK~

• jesspy

• Agent X

Top Posters In This Topic

I certainly don't refuse to see them. Evil Dead 2, Spiderman 2, Kill Bill Vol.2, Godfather Part 2, Shrek 2 are all movies I'd consider better than the originals. Prequels I'm usually cool with, but remakes I'm very picky about. There are a few I really enjoy (True Grit for example) and others that should never be touched, like I generally dislike when foreign films are remade in America.

There are a few I really enjoy (True Grit for example) and others that should never be touched, like I generally dislike when foreign films are remade in America.

Some movies need sequels but most dont.

Lord of the rings needed it Harry potter needed it as one was agigantic book the other a series. We didnt need more National lampoon vactions, spider man 3 and many others.

I totally agree with the foreign films thing. The ring should never have been touched. Plus the whole "the girl who/with...." series is good and doesnt need an "Hollywood makeover" just because you dont want to read subtitles.

Edited by jesspy

I will give sequels a chance, especially in the horror movie genre. Spiderman 3 is a sequel that wasn't as good as 2, mainly because of "emo" Peter Parker, yeah...

emo-parker.gif

I like some remakes, namely the new Halloween and Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies. I didn't like the new Friday 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street remakes, though.

Edited by H.H. Holmes

I certainly don't refuse to see them. Evil Dead 2, Spiderman 2, Kill Bill Vol.2, Godfather Part 2, Shrek 2 are all movies I'd consider better than the originals. Prequels I'm usually cool with, but remakes I'm very picky about. There are a few I really enjoy (True Grit for example) and others that should never be touched, like I generally dislike when foreign films are remade in America.

Well, i don't know about that. I think there are just about as much good remakes as there are good sequels. Including Scarface, The Departed, The Fly, The Thing, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, King Kong, The Blob, Dawn of the Dead, The Ring, 12 Monkeys, The Maltese Falcon, Ocean's 11, Heat, Cape Fear, Insomnia, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Three Men and a Baby, etc.

I will give sequels a chance, especially in the horror movie genre. Spiderman 3 is a sequel that wasn't as good as 2, mainly because of "emo" Peter Parker, yeah...

emo-parker.gif

I like some remakes, namely the new Halloween and Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies. I didn't like the new Friday 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street remakes, though.

Hehehe, emo Peter Parker. I'm one of the few who enjoyed that whole thing. Mostly because it was just so Sam Raimi. I love that he throws campy-ness into almost every movie he does. But obviously it wasn't nearly as good as the first two. The NoES remake was so terrible. I really wanted to like it, but that ended up being impossible.

Well, i don't know about that. I think there are just about as much good remakes as there are good sequels. Including Scarface, The Departed, The Fly, The Thing, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, King Kong, The Blob, Dawn of the Dead, The Ring, 12 Monkeys, The Maltese Falcon, Ocean's 11, Heat, Cape Fear, Insomnia, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Three Men and a Baby, etc.

That's very true, there are definitely quite a few I like. I think for me, it depends on the genre. Horror (especially foreign) just doesn't translate as well for me when it's remade.

That's very true, there are definitely quite a few I like. I think for me, it depends on the genre. Horror (especially foreign) just doesn't translate as well for me when it's remade.

I can understand that. I dread the Oldboy remake by Steven Spielberg and Will Smith.

I can understand that. I dread the Oldboy remake by Steven Spielberg and Will Smith.

What what what WHAT?!

Yep. Smith. Spielberg. Oldboy.

My God that is a horrendous idea. I just read that it's not happening anymore because of legal stuff. I can only hope that's true cause Oldboy is one of my favorite movies.

My God that is a horrendous idea. I just read that it's not happening anymore because of legal stuff. I can only hope that's true cause Oldboy is one of my favorite movies.

Really? The last i heard, it only faultered with the legal stuff and is still happening. Smith already has maybe three or four movies to do, so it'll take a while obviously.

I don't mind watching a sequel or a remake because some of them are good. However, there are some movies that shouldn't have sequels and there are some movies that should never be touched and be remade.

If a sequel is going to be made for a movie, unless it's a horror movie, the original cast should be kept if the first movie was awesome. I really hate when a good movie is followed by a sequel with an all new cast and that movie turns out to be a flop sometimes.

I don't mind watching a sequel or a remake because some of them are good. However, there are some movies that shouldn't have sequels and there are some movies that should never be touched and be remade.

If a sequel is going to be made for a movie, unless it's a horror movie, the original cast should be kept if the first movie was awesome. I really hate when a good movie is followed by a sequel with an all new cast and that movie turns out to be a flop sometimes.

Yeah, that can be annoying.

Sequel made for the sake of making a sequel: Bad.

Sequel made to continue a story with room for continuation: Good.

I have nothing against sequels. Many of them are very good movies in their own right. I consider The Last Crusade a better movie than Raiders Of The Lost Ark.

Defence presents Exhibit(s) A:

Aliens (part 2)

Terminator 2

Army of Darkness: Evil Dead 3

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Toy Story 3

Shrek 2

Batman: The Dark Knight

Die Hard: With a Vengeance

Star Trek 4 (ok, I have a soft spot for this one - don't Judge me :emo:)

Prosecution presents Exhibit(s) B:

Pretty much every other movie sequel known to man

I've (obviously) left out intended sequels such as Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and Star Wars - but of the movies that were not intended for specific sequel stories, this covers it (others may have slight differences). I guess it's up to others now to make up their minds about the validity of sequels. I for one think they're great. Even the dodgy ones build something to the story of the original.....

~ PA

Defence presents Exhibit(s) A:

Aliens (part 2)

Terminator 2

Army of Darkness: Evil Dead 3

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Toy Story 3

Shrek 2

Batman: The Dark Knight

Die Hard: With a Vengeance

Star Trek 4 (ok, I have a soft spot for this one - don't Judge me :emo:)

Prosecution presents Exhibit(s) B:

Pretty much every other movie sequel known to man

I've (obviously) left out intended sequels such as Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and Star Wars - but of the movies that were not intended for specific sequel stories, this covers it (others may have slight differences). I guess it's up to others now to make up their minds about the validity of sequels. I for one think they're great. Even the dodgy ones build something to the story of the original.....

~ PA

Out of all the Star Trek sequels, you pick 4? What about 2? Even 8 (First Contact) was better than 4. :rofl:

The Voyage Home was not a bad movie. Personally I've enjoyed all Star Trek movies, but my favorite will always be TWOK.

Except for that abominable saying "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." UGH.

And what about the James Bond movies? Not to mention Gorezilla?

Oh, and the Evil Dead movies? Night of the Living Dead? Return of the Living Dead?

SPIDER-MAN!

Hulk.

Ironed Man.

BATMAN! Nana nana nana nan BATMAN!

The Voyage Home was not a bad movie. Personally I've enjoyed all Star Trek movies, but my favorite will always be TWOK.

Except for that abominable saying "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." UGH.

And what about the James Bond movies? Not to mention Gorezilla?

Oh, and the Evil Dead movies? Night of the Living Dead? Return of the Living Dead?

SPIDER-MAN!

Hulk.

Ironed Man.

............. Gorezilla?... Ironed Man? He must have a good maid for that name.

Sequel made for the sake of making a sequel: Bad.

Sequel made to continue a story with room for continuation: Good.

agree.

Gorezilla?

Ironed Man.

lol Ironed man lol

I find that I usually enjoy the sequel more than the original if its by the same director, cast, etc ( otherwise it is usually a disappointment ). I think with sequels the filmmakers have a better idea of what works and cater to what the audience has liked or disliked about the first.

I find that I usually enjoy the sequel more than the original if its by the same director, cast, etc ( otherwise it is usually a disappointment ). I think with sequels the filmmakers have a better idea of what works and cater to what the audience has liked or disliked about the first.

Same with me. But, the ones that i'm usually disappointed by are the ones that don't really expand the universe that the movie is set in. Like the Matrix sequels.

Edited by Bracket