Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why are Catholic Nuns so mean?

Rocketgirl33

There are horror stories of how the Nun's abused children all over the world..especially in orphanages.. There are support groups now for the victims..

http://snapsurvivorsnetwork.yuku.com/forums/33/t/Sexual-or-Physical-or-Emotional-Abuse-by-NUNS.html

http://netk.net.au/AbuseCases/GoodwoodBridget.asp

Why are they so mean??? I have no idea... brainwashed I guess..

I do recall reading that the new pope tried to excuse all the priest's abuse of children by the fact that they were possessed by demonic energies..to try and bring the church down or something to that affect.. but then when you look at the Church's record throughout history.. there was always a lot of cruel and violent behaviour done by those who were part of the Church... I suppose they ruled with fear...

Hopefully they get to do a major turnaround... Of course there have been good ones around.. but really.. just like in any office.. organization.. if they behave badly.. they should be excommunicated.. or at least given some deep therapy... then have supervisors observe them for the next few years to ensure that they display loving nurturing, compassionate behaviour which I gather is what Jesus tried to instill. As with other religions treat people just as badly...

If their churches can't control their representatives.. then they should have their jurisdiction changed...so that they can no longer be legally protected by the church...

You think your nuns were bad? our nuns would cut a finger off if you were late for class, some kids only had thumbs, we had to learn a new word every day if you couldn't pronounce it the nun would set about you with a baseball bat, on the day we had to learn Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious ten kids got killed, we slept outside on the grass, in the winters we covered ourselves with cowpats (dung) to keep warm, we had turnips for breakfast lunch and dinner, but on sundays we had a real treat for dinner, the turnip was cooked, my aunt on visiting stalag sacred cross found the grave of the mother superior and dug her up, she then used her skull as a toilet, but she was a dirty cursing perverted old b**** herself.

i'm indigenous.

OMG! I laughed out loud! :w00t:

Thanks to all for your replys, I think the hammer has found the nail on this perhaps. It seems logical that a person suffering from not being a part of normal life, ie:love, sex, child birth ect ect.. would harbor lots of ill will twords those who cannot help themselves. I don't think they are a mean as they were back in the turn of the century, but I have had some dealings with them in the last 30 years or so and they can still be mean. It is anger, suffering and self isolation.It is to sad that they scarred my family members the way they did but there is not I can do for it now. I just want to try to understand it. It makes perfect sense that some would take their emotions out on others. Thank you again for your insight.

Rocketgirl B)

I went to Catholic school one year of high school The nuns were weird of course, obviously for the reasons already mentioned, but I can attest that even the nastiest of nuns was loving to me. I was not a nice person at that time and yet they were, though strict, very nice and loving to me.

It is a very sad but true case that many nuns around the world have been given license to be downright evil, the exact opposite of what they should have been doing.

I am sorry for your family's sufferings.

Keven

Has there ever been any public outcry over this? Has anyone filed a complaint with the church? If they did would it go anywere? It is sad to hear some of the stories, I cried when my grandma told me about how they beat her and killed the little boy. Many more of these are even more horrifying than that. I think the cahtolic church should change the rules a bit an start allowing for marriage of priests and nuns to maybe even things out a bit. God doesn't make a very good spouse. They could still do their job and go home to a family. This would probably cut down on sexual abuse and nun beatings. It sounds like an easy solution to me. The fact is, if this is still going on it nees to be stopped. The catholic church has been in the news for so many years now you would think they would get tired of it and do some house cleaning. I don't think they have their priorities straight anymore. They are so busy making money and laws that they don't even bother to look down at the shattered lives they are walking on. The pope should be held personally accountable for all that the nuns and priests do. Maybe a pope in a prison cell could do more good than one at a pulpit.

Rocketgirl B)

Generalism.

Why are Americans so mean?

Why are Protentants so mean?

Why are Females so mean?

You see my point. I hope you do.

Edited by the L
  • Like 1

A lot of people are saying that it's their isolated lifestyles that make them mean. I think that it may be the other way around, I think they may have been mean people from the start who chose that lifestyle because of the isolation and power it brings. This doesn't mean of that all nuns (or social hermits... in some ways I am one) are mean of course.

Generalism.

Why are Females so mean?

Maybe it should have read that, American Catholic female nun's are mean or at least the ones I knew?

Ok, yes I do understand. I think the point I was wanting to get to is, Nuns are workers for God, are they not? Is god so mean that he would tolerate the abuse of a child by one who has vowed to spend their whole life in his service. Why would a woman, or man, give their entire life over to God, a God of love mind you, only to commit unspeakable crimes? Is this truly how god wants his sevents to behave? How do they pray at night after commiting horrors on children? I guess I did not mean in General why are they mean, i really ment why would they give their whole life over to the sevice of god only to be a horror on the communtiy? There are a lot of mean nasty people out there, but they are not all looking to become nuns. I wonder, do they start out believing that the church is all about gods love, only to find out later that is really about sacrifice, pain, lonlyness ect., and become mean through a life of human deniale? It just doesn't make any sense why a loving girl would become a nun only to become a hell hound later. What is the turning point? Why do they take out their unhappiness on the children? Why don't they just quit and get a real life? I know there is probably no real answer but even a little understanding is better than nothing.

Rocketgirl B)

To believe that every nun is bad is like believing every muslim is evil because of the actions of al qaeda.

It's narrow-minded, imo.

Most child abuse in the world is at the hands of fathers, mothers, brothers, and uncles... not a nice fact to acknowledge... but it's a fact nonetheless.

Where are the headlines pointing out who the main abusers are? Nowhere: because no-one wants to read about that... we'd rather have a comfortable scapegoat.

grr

(sorry anout my rant, but there is severe hypocrisy regarding abuse... and btw, I am not Catholic)

• Like 1

Generalism.

Why are Females so mean?

I don't think it is generalizing, the OP didn't say ALL nuns just why is there an overwhelming tendency for the stories you hear about nuns being on the abusive side. Anyone who has ever heard of the Magdalene Laundries can attest to nuns not having a great track record in the human rights department. The discipline which is inflicted on the young novices as they enter the convents just gets perpetuated onto some of them as they are in charge of children. I do not think ALL nuns are mean but there are many documented examples of their behavior going above and beyond ordinary discipline and into abuse.

• Like 1

To believe that every nun is bad is like believing every muslim is evil because of the actions of al qaeda.

It's narrow-minded, imo.

Most child abuse in the world is at the hands of fathers, mothers, brothers, and uncles... not a nice fact to acknowledge... but it's a fact nonetheless.

Where are the headlines pointing out who the main abusers are? Nowhere: because no-one wants to read about that... we'd rather have a comfortable scapegoat.

grr

(sorry anout my rant, but there is severe hypocrisy regarding abuse... and btw, I am not Catholic)

Yes, but if a specific group of abuses can be identified surely it's ones duty to highlight the problem? the placing of ones fingers in ones ears going la la la la la la, or even pc pc pc pc pc helps no one but the abuser.

I go to Catholic school, and I adore all the nuns(and former nuns) there. I never had any problem with them, and I never saw them be anything but reasonable if someone misbehaved. No rulers to the knuckle or anything.

• Like 1

NO SEX/DRUGS AND ROCK AND ROLL what do you expect for gods sake :w00t:

In some cases I think it's a case of being totally unfulfilled for both Nuns and Priests , it can't possibly be an easy lifestyle for any man or woman .... And the reason for that has already been mentioned by others .

I think the catholic church has to come up with some way for those unfulfilled people to release their pent up emotions , without exploding in the class room , and other than prayer !

• Like 1

It's definitley not all nuns, so I would change the subect headline to "Why are some Catholic Nuns so mean?" :P

I went to communion late and the nuns were usually very nice. They loved helping the poor and talking about the Bible and so forth. I'm sorry to hear about your bad experiences with those horrible people. Perhaps in writing your book it will give you a sense of closure.

I was raised Catholic and most of the people I interacted with during my childhood, were nice.

My own personal theory as to why some of them are like that is...because they don't have sex. Yup. I mean, the word says it. "None."

• Like 1

Well i guess its just some nuns and there diciplin which i guess when they beat you around makes you more self diciplin which is a good thing now

because ive noticed most kids are getting it easy these days we need more MEAN NUNS to go around. :)

• Like 1

Why are Nuns so mean?

First off I'd change that to SOME nuns, not all.

Only my opinion of course, but I'd blame it on a lack of physical and emotional shenanigans with members of the opposite sex.

Celibacy is NOT normal for humans. Never has been and never will be. No matter what any "spiritual leader" might say.

This.

• 3 years later...

I work with an order of nuns, at a university, and have so for many years. Although I met a few that truly seemed to be a nun for the right reason, I met many more that were nuns because of the power and the ability to get away with just about anything. They mentally and emotionally abuse and there is not a damn thing anyone can do about it. They run the show. If you report it, it's covered up and retaliation occurs. It's is very sick. We now have a president that has a reputation for being evil, prejudice and just nasty and there is nothing we can do but leave or put up with it. We all stay for the students.

Why can this go on?

In my school the nuns, well a few of them were mean. My mom told me that they had no life, could not leave the convent, no TV, no newspapers, so I think it was simple burn out, no way to get away from us brats. Today it is different, but I believe the stories I have been told.

To add to your insightful comment, Mark, they probably lost their faith in the Bible and the Catholic dogma attributable to extensive studies and personal experiences.

From what I've gathered from a former Catholic school teacher, "sisters" (those who have not taken their solemn vows for life) are usually the teachers, not nuns (who live in cloisters).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqBAKptamUk&index=8&list=PLh8ahfFh5YtclQ5Dn9ix3pVUX86yBWWzS

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I can tell you that maybe it was because they were sick, or simply mean spirited.  They may have hated the vacation they had chosen and decided to take it out on the Children.  People always like to disclose the Priest abuse but what about the Nun Abuse.  I was abused from Day 1 of attending School.  I was left handed so that was the beginning of my Hell.  I was told that I was an Ingrate and that was my name from that point on.  I was beaten, punished simply for being left handed.  This was in the mid 1960's and I still have flashbacks.  My lefthand was tied behind my back and made to write with my right hand, only to have the pointer stick on my right hand for not writing properly.  I flunked Grade 1, the Nuns told my Parents I could not write.  (do you think) I was made to stand outside in the winter for 30. minutes, no coat, no shoes, simply for being caught writing with my left hand.  I was made to kneel on the steel grates, cold air return on the floor of the classroom until my knees bled, if I was caught crouching my buttocks on the heels of my feet the punishment was extended.  I had my nose brook at age & for not answering a religious question in a timely fashion.  The Nun struck me so hard in the face that she left her gold ring imprint on my cheek.  When I got home my Mother asked me what the mark on my face was, I started crying thinking I would get into trouble for not knowing the answer to the Religious question.  My Mother took me to school and told the Nun off, she never touched me again but made my life a living hell.  All in the name of God,,,Please don't ask why, they just did horrible things..... They will one day be judged for their wrongdoing I am sure.  I could go on and on with other things they did to me but why bother, there were so many of US, however they were employees of the Catholic Church.  Their Salaries went to the RC Church.  I was also raped by my Parish Priest at age 7, in the Sacristy in the Church, I was late for class duet to being raped and then was given the strap by the Mother Superior for being late for class.  It just goes on and on.  I still have my Faith, My God does not treat his Children this way, simply some of his disciples, and believe me there were more good Priests than Bad and there were some good Nuns, but I can tell you they were few and far between.  In the 6 Nun Teachers I had, I can name 1 only that was decent.  Thank you for letting me have my say!!!  

I grew up in the Catholic education system , as did my 5 brothers and sisters and we all agree the priests and nuns were very disturbed people . not all of them, but the majority . sexual abuse, physical and mental abuse of children they were responsible to look after . it happens in every religion , not just the Catholics. Unhappy people pretending to be happy 

On Friday, January 21, 2011 at 7:26 PM, UFO_Monster said:

Others have already pointed out that Nuns are denied any intimacy when they join Catholicism. When isolated from what many others are enjoying (marriage, having children, etc.), it wouldn't be hard to see why some Nuns are high-strung.

Now, from a family friend that is in question.  She said she was thinking of becoming a nun like her friend.  She was sleeping at the nunnery and was told 'it was her turn'.  She said the priest was visiting also.

My uncle said he was working on a nunnery that had a dirt floor.  When they  started digging it up they found all kinds of baby remains. He never ever had a good word to say about the Catholic religion.

I know a man who had the crap beat out if him because he walked in on a nun and a priest.  They wanted to make sure he didn't repeat what he saw. 

Anytime you have a repressive and judgemental group like that disturbing things can and will happen.  People need to come forward to prevent it from happening to the next generation.

• Like 1