Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why are Catholic Nuns so mean?

Rocketgirl33

25 minutes ago, Ozfactor said:

I grew up in the Catholic education system , as did my 5 brothers and sisters and we all agree the priests and nuns were very disturbed people . not all of them, but the majority . sexual abuse, physical and mental abuse of children they were responsible to look after . it happens in every religion , not just the Catholics. Unhappy people pretending to be happy 

And possibly because that is not what they signed up for.  How many people truly believe in doing 'God's work' only to find out their organization is a lie?

On Friday, January 21, 2011 at 10:16 PM, Eldorado said:

Why are Nuns so mean?

First off I'd change that to SOME nuns, not all.

Only my opinion of course, but I'd blame it on a lack of physical and emotional shenanigans with members of the opposite sex.

Celibacy is NOT normal for humans. Never has been and never will be. No matter what any "spiritual leader" might say.

But yet monks have no reputation for being mean

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

But yet monks have no reputation for being mean

Rasputin was a nice little chap : D

• Like 1

I went to a catholic school.   Had my share of whacks with the ruler.   But I usually deserved it.   There were some mean nuns, but most were nice. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I went to a catholic school.   Had my share of whacks with the ruler.   But I usually deserved it.   There were some mean nuns, but most were nice. 

Yeah most were nice, my first grade teacher got me when I wasn't looking(blah-bla-bu-blah-blah OW!) I can't remember if it was a YARD stick or a ruler, oh wellzz those were the days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWoo7 said:

Yeah most were nice, my first grade teacher got me when I wasn't looking(blah-bla-bu-blah-blah OW!) I can't remember if it was a YARD stick or a ruler, oh wellzz those were the days.

I had one as a teacher who would make the bad kids stand in front of the class and hold a book in each hand with their arms extended out.

Rulers and yardsticks hurt, but the worst of them all is the orange hot wheels track.   My mom discovered the value of them.

• Like 2

Oh GOD, true value of the orange hot wheels track, getting her

20 minutes ago, Myles said:

orange hot wheels track.   My mom discovered the value of them.

moneys worth, reminds me of my brother dammit I can still feel that welt, I don't think he even knew that that really hurt.

• Like 1

Nuns, as well as any other person, abuse children because they are easy targets. Children aren't allowed to say "Stop it!" else they get beaten more, they can't run away and aren't allowed to defend themselves. In short, children are the only segment of the populace that people can legally assault and get away with it because people actually think that beating another human being is somehow "wholesome" and makes a "better" person.

People in religious institutions also feel "protected" because people are made to think that those who dispense religious texts are somehow "perfect" or immune to all the bad behaviors or "regular" people and they will hide behind that facade while dispensing abuse. It's all about "righteousness". A convenient shield to cower behind.

• Like 1

Couple a sadistic personality and a whole lot of pent up sexual frustration....yeah anybody would go psycho. Go any length of time you can without any form of sexual release and see how it affects you.

• Like 4

You owe it to history, your family and yourself to be as truthful and thorough as possible in writing this story.  Do not judge people of the past by modern standards, but do not hesitate to judge them by their own standards.  If your family members have evil memories, they should be included.  But if they have good memories, those also should be included.  You might also search to see if there were other schools and find out how they treated children in their charge.  Check out other churches and public schools as well.  Once you have a good knowledge of what was done at the time, you will be in a position to continue your account.

Doug

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2011 at 4:52 PM, hetrodoxly said:

You think your nuns were bad? our nuns would cut a finger off if you were late for class, some kids only had thumbs, we had to learn a new word every day if you couldn't pronounce it the nun would set about you with a baseball bat, on the day we had to learn Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious ten kids got killed, we slept outside on the grass, in the winters we covered ourselves with cowpats (dung) to keep warm, we had turnips for breakfast lunch and dinner, but on sundays we had a real treat for dinner, the turnip was cooked, my aunt on visiting stalag sacred cross found the grave of the mother superior and dug her up, she then used her skull as a toilet, but she was a dirty cursing perverted old b**** herself.

i'm indigenous.

I sure hope you're exaggerating.

My wife's cousins attended a mission school.  They have some evil tales, too, but nothing as bad as Rocketgirl describes.  When I was a kid, we heard lots of tales about nuns with metal rulers.  I was lucky enough to go to a different school.

Doug

3 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Couple a sadistic personality and a whole lot of pent up sexual frustration....yeah anybody would go psycho. Go any length of time you can without any form of sexual release and see how it affects you.

I'm not Christian, and I succeeded for months one time.  Imagine the energy you gain from testosterone build up. It's about self-discipline.

To men who whack off 5 times a day, YOU'RE STUPID!

• Like 1

Funny the way these old threads get revived and the discussion continues as if it was never in mothballs.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Mystic Crusader said:

I'm not Christian, and I succeeded for months one time.  Imagine the energy you gain from testosterone build up. It's about self-discipline.

"succeeded" seems not quite the right word ? And I doubt abstinence causes testosterone build-up, but that is just supposition on my part.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Habitat said:

"succeeded" seems not quite the right word ? And I doubt abstinence causes testosterone build-up, but that is just supposition on my part.

You should do some research.

Here is an article:

http://www.steadyhealth.com/articles/consequences-of-over-m********ion

I found that doing other things became a lot more enjoyable.

I didn't have a girlfriend at the time, I wasn't even looking (Most of the women where I live are either religious zealots or drunkard crackheads, not my cup of tea). 

Edited by Mystic Crusader
  • Like 1

Anyways, off topic. I attended a convent school for a couple of years, and the nuns were not cruel to me or anyone else I noticed, however there are certainly plenty of anecdotes suggesting otherwise, I heard of one that threw medicine balls at students who did not do as they were told ! However, teachers were much more given to corporal punishment in those days. I vividly recall a teacher who would throw blackboard dusters ( wood with a felt pad) at students in class, could easily have caused serious injury, and to kids other than the target. Seems ridiculous we let them get away with it, in retrospect.

• Like 2

Thank you Rocket girl for sharing.  I have no relatives but older friends that went to mission boarding schools on or near a reservation.  They would concur with you.  On top of everything else, the mission schools were designed to eliminate the pagan habits of the Indians and integrate them into European society.  Most whites even in the church (and I do not say all) had a very low opinion of all non-whites, but Indians in particular were often viewed as secretive, lazy, and dishonest. They were a subjugated people, and any defiance was viewed harshly and met with severe punishment.  Only one of the three that has shared any stories with me has mentioned and Indian nun.  There seem to be very few.  I am fairly old myself so I remember clearly the prejudice against all non-whites that existed 50 years ago in my youth. It may not be great now, but it is worse then.  All that being said, it may be that many nuns are more committed to forcing conformity into what they perceive as the proper path than exhibiting empathy.  If that is true in all catholic schools, it would be amplified in rez schools.

It sounds like a wonderful family project history.  Publish it if you can.  We will be better people if we  remember these things and make better decisions in the future.

• Like 1

There's a lot of nice nuns that I've meet but I have seen mean ones too.  I wonder and have asked the question before here about The Magdalene Sisters.,The Laundry girls I think in Ireland that were forced to live in a convent  with nuns who were in most cases sent there too  themselves before they were nuns. Most of the ladies  were pregnant and unwed and the church took the baby away from them when they gave birth ,so sad. It's not the fault of the All Mighty God it's the fault of people. Don't forget Mother Teresa , I loved learning about her, she was cool. Her thing was in India , I may not be wanted here ,but I'm needed here. They tried to run her off but she stuck it out, because she had the calling in her heart to serve like God would want us to serve She was a faithful servant . She would say to them :My faith, ( with her hand on her heart where her rosary would rest on ) I will not force on you, I just want to help . That was how she lived. She taught the children  lots of them, mainly village orphans there, how to read and write, adults too she taught. I just wanted to share that before everyone starts judging.

• Like 1

also, they had to be strict to stop   ......    ' Catholic  High  School Girls In Trouble '

kentucky-fried-3.jpg

• Like 1

The old joke was that nuns always go around in pairs so the "other nun, gets none". I'm sure many are and were very sincere and good people. 

Mind you, there was, and is, nothing like convent-educated girls, whoooooooaaaaaaaaaaaah !!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps that was due to a certain lack of education  ... on the part of teacher and student .  .... that lesson about 'suppression'  .

I went to a catholic school until the 8th year , never had one 'titbit' of sex education (from a parent, adult, teacher , that is ) ...

Edited by back to earth

9 hours ago, Mystic Crusader said:

I went a period of 112 days just to see if I could. You go through some strange emotional stages during that time. High energy, low energy, aggression and depression, then hit a zenith or better yet a zen, but that urge is ever present. It increases motivation I know that. Yet it doesn't affect people the same way.

Our sex drive is a powerful motivator if directed into a constructive activity you can achieve a lot. 

• Like 2