Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why are Catholic Nuns so mean?

Rocketgirl33

I wonder if some of the meanness comes from realizing that you've signed up for the wrong job, but you can't leave because your vocation is tied to your standing in the community?

When I was in Catholic school, it was almost considered apostasy for one to abandon their vows and return to secular society. However, even as a child it was obvious to me that some of the nuns  (and priests)  were brilliant educators, while others struggled with any social interaction. The teachers that had a real gift for educating children were loved and respected, and rarely needed to use physical discipline. Others were notorious for being over-zealous punishers, and I recall that those teachers were the ones who seemed to be unable (or unwilling?) to establish a rapport with their students.

In high school, some of my buddies and I occasionally stayed at a monastery over the weekend, doing chores and just hanging around with the Brothers. Father Sean was the 'abbot'. He was one of the kindest, wisest men I'd ever met. I think he was in his 40's when he fell in love with a woman, they got married, and moved to somewhere in South America. It was a shock for everyone, but I secretly thought, "Way to go buddy!".  If anyone deserved to be happily married, it was Fr. Sean.

Think how terrifying it must be for someone who has taken vows and lived in an insular society for years to suddenly realize they'd made the wrong decision in their youth, and they finally understand that they just aren't cut out for that kind of life. They wouldn't just be changing jobs; they'd be changing their entire lifestyle.

On the other hand there are those who choose the religious life, and they thrive. They use their gifts to help other people in ways that would be impossible if their affections were tied to a secular career or a marriage.  

Edited by simplybill
  • Like 1

On 8/12/2016 at 8:35 PM, Mystic Crusader said:

To men who whack off 5 times a day, YOU'RE STUPID!

I must have an IQ of 20 by now?

Anyway I had secular schooling through a Catholic school in the 3-4th grades. The Nuns were nice. Only Nun that scared me was when us children were paraded through the retired Nun section once. One elderly Nun must of thought I was an Angel? She saw me, lept up, tried to hug me, and other Nuns gently held her back.

Only abuse I seen was from a secular teacher that washed a kid's mouth out with soap for perpetually cussing.

I heard tales of discarded newborns in wells, and in the walls of other convents, but I cannot verify those stories.

Some of the mentality for meanness besides sexual repression is the idea is one must suffer in life like Jesus.

• Like 2

Well, I aint drinking no water in a convent ...... decaying baby flavor isnt my favorite !  

1 hour ago, davros of skaro said:

Some of the mentality for meanness besides sexual repression is the idea is one must suffer in life like Jesus.

Maybe he just couldn't control himself:

Adultery
27You have heard that it was said, ‘Do not commit adultery.’ 28But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman to lust after her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell.…

crucifix.jpg

3 hours ago, Mystic Crusader said:

Maybe he just couldn't control himself:

Adultery
27You have heard that it was said, ‘Do not commit adultery.’ 28But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman to lust after her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell.…

crucifix.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Even I think that a big number of nuns are so mean.I am hailing from Kerala. I studied in a school run by nuns. Some of our headmistresses were kind towards children, others were not. But they were all tolerable. But when it comes to nun's hostels, they are playing with our emotions. They force us to do things according to their wish.They won't even provide us food for the money that we are paying.  Even though we are  adults they just rule us. I think it is due to their frustrations and the love that they couldn't feel. But the thing that I never understand is that how can a person who gave their whole life to Lord can be such annoying and irritating individuals. 

They are mean because they have given away their lives for their faith, and resent the fact that others can enjoy their own lives. And, I suspect, they are highly sexually repressed and frustrated.

And, unlike their male counterparts in the clergy, can't molest and abuse little boys.

9 hours ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

And, unlike their male counterparts in the clergy, can't molest and abuse little boys.

You'd be surprised.

The sisters weren't too bad. Then again, it was Catholic school and not an orphanage or some charity, so I don't know how I'd have been treated someplace like that.

There were a few who were unpleasant, but I don't think it was just the celibacy.

The ones who weren't nice, they seemed to be the ones who would deny themselves any simple pleasures at all. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GlitterRose said:

The ones who weren't nice, they seemed to be the ones who would deny themselves any simple pleasures at all. 

And I think thats a religious thing in general not just a Catholic thing. Growing up in fundamentalist Christian churches it seems many if not most of the female authorities had the same cold demeanor as I hear described in nuns.

1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

And I think thats a religious thing in general not just a Catholic thing. Growing up in fundamentalist Christian churches it seems many if not most of the female authorities had the same cold demeanor as I hear described in nuns.

It seemed like they were punishing themselves for some guilt they were carrying around with them. 

I don't know. 

• Like 1