Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mobile phone to blast into orbit

Waspie_Dwarf

British engineers are planning to put a mobile phone in space.

The team at Surrey Satellite Technology Limited (SSTL) in Guildford want to see if the sophisticated capabilities in today's phones will function in the most challenging environment known.

The phone will run on Google's Android operating system but the exact model has not yet been disclosed.

It will be used to control a 30cm-long satellite and take pictures of the Earth in the mission later this year.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Waspie_Dwarf

• :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

• Automaton

• Daughter of the Nine Moons

I :wub:23274_405444153848_3270_q.jpg

edit to add: Have you ever seen these photos before Waspie?

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons

At last they are not using Apple Iphone :P

but anyways its not that useful as I can see as compared to a big satellite which are obviously more powerful.

Ring ring...... "Hello?"

"Hello ummm N A We Ha a Pr em!"

"Sor y c n you s y th aga your ......."

LMAO sorry had to.

Yeah seems kind of a pointless venture. Phones in space? whats next? lol

Well, considering a kid and his dad already did this as a science project, it shouldn't be too hard for the 'British engineers'. Really cool video of it here . cool.gif

(though I am curious to see if it can 'control' the satellite.)

Edited by Automaton

Great PR stunt. Automaton, that one on your link never actually left the atmosphere.

Great PR stunt. Automaton, that one on your link never actually left the atmosphere.

True, it's too bad the balloon popped, but that was inevitable. Still, I figured it was close enough happy.gif

Yeah seems kind of a pointless venture. Phones in space? whats next? lol

The point is that it is cheap over the counter technology rather than multi-million dollar technology. They re trying to make space more affordable and accessible.

Well, considering a kid and his dad already did this as a science project, it shouldn't be too hard for the 'British engineers'.

No they didn't. They sent a phone up to altitude on a balloon. That's very, VERY different to placing it in orbit.

I find it funny and feasible to send a phone into orbit and even control a satellite. And the fact they chose an Android OS phone is great, considering I am a proud owner of such a device. PR or not, this is a great way to see how capable and powerful todays smartphones really are. I hope they pull it off.

I really think that they are just running out of ideas of what to hurl into space, next thing you know they are going to hurl a bouncy castle into space for some unknown reason.

I really think that they are just running out of ideas of what to hurl into space, next thing you know they are going to hurl a bouncy castle into space for some unknown reason.

LOL! Bounce once, and you just fly away.

It just goes to show everyone what kind of idiots we have working in NASA.what a waste of money,no wonder we are so behind everybody else in this space race. :no: