Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wal-mart Could Destroy A Civil War Site

Agent X

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - Nearly 150 years after Robert E. Lee and Ulysses S. Grant fought in northern Virginia, a conflict over the battlefield is taking shape in a courtroom.

The dispute involves whether a Walmart should be built near the Civil War site, and the case pits preservationists and some residents of a rural northern Virginia town against the world's largest retailer and local officials who approved the Walmart Supercenter.

Both sides are scheduled to make arguments before a judge Tuesday.

The proposed Walmart is located near the site of the Battle of the Wilderness, which is viewed by historians as a critical turning point in the war. An estimated 185,000 Union and Confederate troops fought over three days in 1864, and 30,000 were killed, injured or went missing. The war ended 11 months later.

My link

Those who make the money have the power to do anything they, including destroying important historical sites.

It doesn't matter if it's on or near.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• el midgetron

• Agent X

• danielost

• thedutchiedutch

Top Posters In This Topic

My link

Those who make the money have the power to do anything they, including destroying important historical sites.

Well, according to a news article about this, a local planning commission gave Walmart the green light.

They should fight their very own local planning commission.

My link

sorry according to just what you posted walmart is not building on the site. so they are not destroying it. unless this is about more people wanting to go to walmart instead of the site of a battle where thousands of people were killed. sorry i think the living take precedence over the dead.

A court room?? Shouldn't this be settled on the battlefield?

I think the civil war is overrated. Yippy!! our nation was split and we won, lets have a parade.

We can't hold onto every battle site like its holy... in 50 years time there would be nowhere left to kill poor people.

A court room?? Shouldn't this be settled on the battlefield?

I think the civil war is overrated. Yippy!! our nation was split and we won, lets have a parade.

We can't hold onto every battle site like its holy... in 50 years time there would be nowhere left to kill poor people.

hahahaa....

sorry according to just what you posted walmart is not building on the site. so they are not destroying it. unless this is about more people wanting to go to walmart instead of the site of a battle where thousands of people were killed. sorry i think the living take precedence over the dead.

Heck having a Wally World there might even increase the number of people that learn about and visit the historical site?

LOL.

Exactly right!

It appears to me that this is just another neighborhood that do not want to be seen going to a wal-mart and are using this excuse to attempt to prevent its construction. It isn't destroying the Civil War site it is just near it. I think it might actually do the civil war site some good too as more people might visit or drop off a small donation to keep the place preserved.