Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is the world's largest super-volcano set to e

sean6

It will eventually happen, hopefully not anytime soon, but just like any disaster it cant be stopped. just got to keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• danielost

• Von Bismarck

• aquatus1

• Odin11

If anything is going to blow it will be the rising magma under Siberia that is changing the magnetic north.

Mother earth will only stand so much. Hopefully she will give us a reprieve. We have been pushing her too long.

I know that on Mars, the shield volcano Olympus Mons just continues to grow in height because of longterm activity below the surface, but hasn't erupted for ages. Is there any chance that could be the case here, if it's really strayed so far from the expected period of a super-eruption?

I know that on Mars, the shield volcano Olympus Mons just continues to grow in height because of longterm activity below the surface, but hasn't erupted for ages. Is there any chance that could be the case here, if it's really strayed so far from the expected period of a super-eruption?

I think the Mars core is dead hence no magnetic field. Mt Olympus will never erupt again.

• 4 weeks later...

Dude if that volcano erupts, US is gone and the rest of world will be under heavy effect too. Could be the dead of at least 65% of world population.

It's going to erupt, but I am sure that when scientists say that it won't happen any time soon, they're correct.

There isn't even a guarantee that it will erupt. It doesn't have the power to do it now, and it's in a shallow spot of the mantle. Give it enough time, and the mountains surrounding it are going to be piled on top, killing any chances of it erupting.

There isn't even a guarantee that it will erupt. It doesn't have the power to do it now, and it's in a shallow spot of the mantle. Give it enough time, and the mountains surrounding it are going to be piled on top, killing any chances of it erupting.

Thats not really true at all. Take a look at a geologic map, or any map really, of the Snake River Plain. You can see where the volcano has blown each time, as the crust moved over it. So if given time there will be no mountains. As the crust will move just as fast if not faster then a orogeny.

Thats not really true at all. Take a look at a geologic map, or any map really, of the Snake River Plain. You can see where the volcano has blown each time, as the crust moved over it. So if given time there will be no mountains. As the crust will move just as fast if not faster then a orogeny.

Orogeny? In that area? It's a hotspot, not a boundary. It's a burp of lava than randomly came out in that area. But in all cases, notice that the only places that there have been eruptions have been in the actual plain, meaning the shallow part. Once the plains move away from the hotspot and the mountains slide into place, the hotspot will be buried beneath and have nothing to do but sit and cool off.

Orogeny? In that area? It's a hotspot, not a boundary. It's a burp of lava than randomly came out in that area. But in all cases, notice that the only places that there have been eruptions have been in the actual plain, meaning the shallow part. Once the plains move away from the hotspot and the mountains slide into place, the hotspot will be buried beneath and have nothing to do but sit and cool off.

A orogeny can happen away from a boundary as well. I said orogeny because that is what I thought you meant, but I see now that you meant the crust moving mountains over the hotspot. And if I remember right the eruptions caused the plain, it was not there before. Mountains didn't stop it.

What happens in the area is this:

1. crust moves as chamber fills up

2. as chamber fills up it is in a pancake like shape

3. as more pressure builds up the chamber becomes more round

and now it can do a number of things

1. pressure builds up till it erupts (and I don't think mountains on top will stop this, in fact mountains might add more pressure to it)

2. pressure fulls off and it claims down for a bit.

4. start all over.

Now this is all from memory so I'm must likely wrong somewhere but I think the basics is right. I'll try to find my papers on it after school tonight. But you were right in your other post it doesn't have the power to erupt now. It most likely will not for tens of thousands of years.

Edited by Odin11

Yellowstone should just blow up rightnow and save us all the waiting and planning.

It would make a GREAT disaster movie, wouldn't it ?

meow purr :)

It's already been made into one. It has been broadcast on TV, even.

Something worth noting, though: eruptions either produce ash or lava flows, not both. I doubt that's the only mistake in the article.

Doug

It's just as likely to blow now that it is 1000 years from now. It's not if it's when, but were talking huge time scales. No likely in our lifetime, but just as possible as anyone elses becomeing more and more likely going into the future.

We'll have plenty of warning before Yellowstone pops its top.

I've lived in WA all my life and remember when St. Helens flipped her lid. Heard it in fact. We knew up to a month or better before St. Helens blew and we knew it was iminent. The mountain was monitored, even evacuated. What they did miss was the TYPE of explosion it would be, where the whole side of the mountain essentially disintegrated (which is the same type of explosion Vesuvius experienced), but the did know it was going to be a BIG BIG boomer. It will be the same with Yellowstone, you'll know maybe even months before it's going to go. There's no real indication that a massive eruption is coming at this point.

I'll stay here in Seattle thanks... if Yellowstone does go up, the mid-west will be gone, the east coast and deep south will be BURIED in ash... ash pretty much always blows east with the jet stream... Seattle and So. Cal would be some of the least hit areas. Japan, eastern Russia, Alaska, western So. America or Hawaii would probably be the BEST place to be.

When Mt. St Helens blew... the city of Seattle was the last place to get any ash fallout... we didn't get fall out until 3 weeks after the mountain exploded. Shanghi China got more ash than Seattle did. We're about 200 miles N. East of St. Helens. Eastern and So. Western Wa were diggin' out for quite a while.

It was quite an experience to live through. Even 30 years later, you can STILL find evidence in plain sight of that explosion in parts of eastern WA.

from what i read today the Italian one is dead.

on the history channel today the are doing Revelations and stated that if Yellowstone blows it will block out the sun for 40 years. oh and it is over due.

no it's not dead

Here I found this

Two thousand years ago Mount Vesuvius destroyed Pompeii. Today, a larger, far more deadly supervolcano lurks on the other side of Naples. If it erupts, Campi Flegrei could wipe out all life in Europe. So why are British scientists battling the Italians for the right to poke at it with drilling rods?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1342820/Vesuviuss-big-daddy-supervolcano-Campi-Flegrei-near-Naples-threatens-Europe.html#ixzz1FiQvSUx7