Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Egyptian Revolution 2011

Nova Terra

egyptian military is staying neutral. does that mean they are not protecting either the government or the people

Yupe. They didn't stop the Pro-government protesters who were attacking Anti-Government Protesters. Even when the Anti-Government Protesters attacked Pro-Government Protesters back, the Army didn't intervene. The Police have completely disappeared off the streets again and it seems plain clothed police are guarding those that are throwing firebombs from the top of the buildings into the Anti-Government Crowds.

Things are getting out of hand and seems the Government are using intimidation tactics against the Anti-Government Protesters.

It chaos during the day and evening, and quiet at night.

Check this out... Live Video from Egypt

Edited by Phox

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meryt-tetisheri

• Knight Of Shadows

• bee

• Corp

this will get even worse if that stupid idiot kept holding on

to his power seat

He just won’t give up :no:

he did seem defiant when he spoke yesterday

and now running battles between pro and anti government groups.... :hmm:

this will get even worse if that stupid idiot kept holding on

to his power seat

i agree

ok it seems like a civil war in progress now.

the army is protecting the museum

Edited by danielost

he did seem defiant when he spoke yesterday

and now running battles between pro and anti government groups.... :hmm:

Well, he still has his adherents and theoretically the power.

Adherents will turn their backs on him as soon as they see the benefits of being close to the Mubarak have turned into danger of being close to him. At this moment, they obviously still believe it's possible to beat people into submission. I don’t know how do they plan to imprison few million of protestors and few dozen million of protest supporters, but maybe they know better...

The power is theoretical for as long as the military refuses to shoot at their own people. I understand why military can’t just disobey and stand on the protestors’ side – that would be a coup.

Someone should – god forgive me for being too practical – throw certain man out of the window and get over with it all... but you can’t throw official president out of the window, that’s anarchy. Damn.

Well, he still has his adherents and theoretically the power.

Adherents will turn their backs on him as soon as they see the benefits of being close to the Mubarak have turned into danger of being close to him. At this moment, they obviously still believe it's possible to beat people into submission. I don't know how do they plan to imprison few million of protestors and few dozen million of protest supporters, but maybe they know better...

The power is theoretical for as long as the military refuses to shoot at their own people. I understand why military can't just disobey and stand on the protestors' side – that would be a coup.

Someone should – god forgive me for being too practical – throw certain man out of the window and get over with it all... but you can't throw official president out of the window, that's anarchy. Damn.

I feel heartsick! It is unbearable to watch what is going on in Cairo, 1500 injured according to Jazeera. They interviewed several people who attested to seeing ID papers of the "pro-Mubarak" people. If anyone is wandering where the police and security forces are; or the escaped prisoners, they are together in Liberation square, along with NDP supporters! They are highly organized, arriving and leaving together in trucks! Very spontaneous!

Some people are reluctant to put pressure on their "friend", in case it seems they abandon longtime friends after "just" a few demonstrations (and 300 dead, 1500 injured), commendable loyalty? It depends on how much more blood can they stomach!

It depends on how much more blood can they stomach!

I would say that is directly proportional to how bad they want a change of leadership. Freedom isn't free. I wish the people of egypt good luck and godspeed.

I would say that is directly proportional to how bad they want a change of leadership. Freedom isn't free. I wish the people of egypt good luck and godspeed.

More and more people will be converging on the Square. Friday has been designated the "Departure" Friday. It will be a bloodbath!

As of how many corpses does international law intervene or take steps to condemn a ruler waging war against his people, having his security forces shooting unarmed civilians with machine guns, torching them with fire bombs?

Do oil and a canal constitute an exonerating factor?

The count is going on, I’m just curious!

From the reports I've been listening to the guys on horses and camals are workers from the pyramids who want to the protests to end because they're hurting tourism. The rest are rent-a-goons, security forces, and government employees who are being forced to join the pro-government march. The only guns that have come in play have been from the army firing warning shots in the air. Though the anti-government side doesn't have much in the way of weapons, it actually sounds like they're checking people to make sure they don't bring anything more deadly than a stick, it sounds like they've been getting the upper hand in all the fights. Heard at one point the army stepped in so that that pro-government group could get to safety.

Also today the Egyptian government has apologised for the attack on the protesters. They claim they have no idea who's behind it but they apologise.

nono the pro goverment agents shot at anti goverment people

live ammo

regardless of shots by army forces as warning

it was on aljazera last night more than once shots been reported

done by pro goverment agents

http://www.democracynow.org/blog/2011/2/2/its_a_massacre_eyewitness_account_of_attack_on_peaceful_egyptian_protesters_by_pro_mubarak_forces

Cairo resident Selma al-Tarzi calls in a report from the streets of Tahrir Square, where violent clashes have erupted.

SELMA AL-TARZI: My name is Selma al-Tarzi. And right now I’m at the entrance of the square from the Egyptian Museum side. It’s a massacre. They’re coming in in government cars, buses, and in thousands. They have knives. They are throwing Molotov bombs. They are burning the trees. They are throwing stones at us. We managed to catch many of them. All of them are undercover police.

We don’t have a single ambulance. I’m walking down with a couple bottles of Dettol, to try and do whatever. There are people unconscious. There are hundreds and hundreds of wounded, a lot of head injuries from the throwing of the stones. A lot of people have broken arms and legs. Some people have crutches. Some people managed to get infiltrated with knives. It’s a massacre.

We’ve been cleaning the square. We’ve been keeping it perfectly intact for the past nine days. And now we are forced to break the pavement they have been keeping so impeccable, to protect ourselves. He’s forcing us to destroy the square, so he can say that we destroyed it.

More and more, this is not—this is not a demonstration anymore; this is war. I just want to tell them that there are 50,000 people here, demonstrators. I wouldn’t call that Hosni Mubarak is sending, his protectors or demonstrators. They are not. These are missionaries. But here there are 50,000 innocent people getting hurt and wounded and killed. Many of them are women and children. And they are all ready and prepared to stay here and die here, if this is what it’s going to take to make him leave, if this is what it’s going to take to make the world see that this guy is a criminal of war. This is a mass murder of an innocent people, unarmed innocent people, of women and children and people who are demonstrating for their rights.

nono the pro goverment agents shot at anti goverment people

live ammo

regardless of shots by army forces as warning

it was on aljazera last night more than once shots been reported

done by pro goverment agents

Really? Well that puts a new spin on things. Good to see the protesters know what is trying to be done and is refusing to rise to the bait.

They just mentioned on "my" news that military has sided with the protestors!

Is it true? That would completely change things.

Not sure "sided" is the right word. After all they did stood by and watched as the pro-government group attacked the protesters. But they're also doing nothing to stop the protesters either and have been seen marching with them. So I'd say the army is largely neutral, with sympathy towards the protesters.

This quote below was posted in the comments under a yahoo news article about the Egyption Uprising. Not sure what it's worth if anything but ya never know. What do people here think of this?:

THE CORRUPTION OF THE LEFT WING MEDIA IN ACTION.

Egypt is finding its way towards more freedom, but please don't believe what the international media is saying! There is a plot to topple the president, and Egyptians do not want that. I have been on the streets with many hundreds of thousands, probably even millions, who want stability, dialogue, and change with Mubarak until the elections in September. There are forces taking advantage of the situation and twisting facts and figures to portray to the international community a distorted image to topple the government. The vast majority of people in the streets in peaceful demonstrations (I speak as an eyewitness because I took to the streets myself) are carrying banners saying things like:

- yes to stability, yes to Mubarak

- give change a chance

- we are sorry Mr. president

- we accept dialogue, we trust you

- no to El-Baradei, no to the muslim brotherhood (many like this one)

- we are the Egyptians, where is Al-Jazeera, let them come and see

- no to corruption, no to vandalism

- we got what we asked the president for, so why are people still in Tahrir? Who are they? What do they want?

etc., etc., etc.

We met with people who were in the original protest in Tahrir square who decided to join us saying: we got what we asked for, and now we accept Mubarak's changes and proposals.

I left the street with my wife around 4:15 pm, and the numbers in the neighbourhood of Mohandessin where we ere gathered had swelled to easily over a million. As we drove home we saw the same slogans on banners all over the city, on cars, on walls, on shop windows. We learned that similar demonstrations are taking place ALL OVER THE COUNTRY, IN MAY DIFFERENT CITIES. THIS IS THE CRY OF THE PEOPLE OF EGYPT THAT IS BEING TOTALLY IGNORED BY THE INTERNATIONAL NEWS MEDIA. Is this on purpose??!!! I am perplexed!!! I am wondering: How come CNN, the BBC, and others are reporting ONLY the anti-government protests as the voice of the people? This is not JUSTICE, this is not the TRUTH. There have been reports that these people are being paid by the government. NOT TRUE! I was there with many many others. I SAW THE STREETS.

Now to the situation in Tahrir square. Only a few people (hundreds?) are still there from the original protesters. They have been slowly replaced by other HIGHLY ORGANIZED GROUPS. They all have the same model of cell phones. They all have the same blankets (eye witnesses). THESE ARE NOT THE PEOPLE OF EGYPT. Some witnesses claim that they don't look Egyptians, and don't sound Egyptians (different accent, different dialect). THIS IS A BIG ORGANIZED COUP TO TRY TO CONVINCE THE WORLD THROUGH THE MEDIA THAT EGYPT WANTS MUBARAK TO GO, AND THE MEDIA IS PART OF THE DECEPTION. People in Tahrir square are escalating the situation on prupose to topple President Mubarak FOR THEIR OWN HIDDEN AGENDAS. This is TYPICAL OF THE MUSLIM BROTHERS, AND EVERYBODY IN THE STREETS OF CAIRO KNOWS THIS. We heard people on the streets saying that the plot to take over the country is now clear. THE INTERNATIONAL MEDIA DON'T WANT YOU TO KNOW THIS. The escalation of violence in Tahrir square is because of this. Egyptians who love Egypt, the millions that took to the streets yesterday, want this to end. They fully understand that president Mubarak is between a rock and a hard place, that he cannot quench the unrest in Tahrir through the army, so the people want to go to Tahrir to disperse the crowds there by themselves. People in Tahrir are vastly outnumbered. If Egyptians go the Tahrir square to take control of the situation, more chaos will erupt, giving a chance to the international media to blame the President even more. Don't believe an opportunist like Mohammed El-Baradei who is deceiving the international community into putting pressure on president Mubarak to leave immediately so they can fulfill their own agendas. Franklin Roosevelt said, "Nothing happens by accident in politics. If it happened, somebody MADE IT HAPPEN.

yeah helen the army already shared the people passion

but they're not stepping in through action

neither they're using force against people

in my opinion after the new events the army needs to take

action and side with the people after the voilent been done

to them by the pro goverment agents

While it does raise some points, like how the protests are mainly focused on the capital and no where else, it's largely a paranoid rant against the media. By all accounts the Muslim Brotherhood was caught by surprise by the protests and I know in one case where their followers tried to take control of a protest they were told to shut up. Plus if the opposition parties were able to stir up this much trouble why wait 30 years?

So by and large the article is nothing more than the birth of a conspiracy theory, one that seems to have missed the right wing media coverage.

Edited by Corp

Now to the situation in Tahrir square. Only a few people (hundreds?) are still there from the original protesters. They have been slowly replaced by other HIGHLY ORGANIZED GROUPS. They all have the same model of cell phones. They all have the same blankets (eye witnesses). THESE ARE NOT THE PEOPLE OF EGYPT. Some witnesses claim that they don't look Egyptians, and don't sound Egyptians (different accent, different dialect). THIS IS A BIG ORGANIZED COUP TO TRY TO CONVINCE THE WORLD THROUGH THE MEDIA THAT EGYPT WANTS MUBARAK TO GO, AND THE MEDIA IS PART OF THE DECEPTION.

So where did all the "original" protesters go? Did they simply disappear? And the other hundreds of thousands of people there all have the same blankets and cell phones? How do they know that? How did they check? This sounds highly unlikely to me.

yeah helen the army already shared the people passion

but they're not stepping in through action

neither they're using force against people

in my opinion after the new events the army needs to take

action and side with the people after the voilent been done

to them by the pro goverment agents

They just repeated that army stepped in, started to protect the protestors and got the loud approval cheers... if that’s correct, they have sided with the protestors now and Mubarak is history then.

Rock Slinger, are you paid for your hard work or you just prefer your truth all mangled?

They just repeated that army stepped in, started to protect the protestors and got the loud approval cheers... if that’s correct, they have sided with the protestors now and Mubarak is history then.

Egypt army moves to stop assault on protesters

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110203/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_egypt_173

CAIRO – Egyptian army tanks and soldiers cleared away pro-government rioters and deployed between them and protesters seeking the fall of President Hosni Mubarak, moving to halt violence as the prime minister made an unprecedented apology Thursday for the assault by regime backers that turned central Cairo into a battle zone.

Prime Minister Ahmed Shafiq said the attack Wednesday on the anti-Mubarak protesters was a "blatant mistake," acknowledged it was likely organized and promised to investigate who was behind it.

Thursday morning, the army fanned out to separate the two sides and allowed thousands more protesters to enter their camp in the square. Soldiers then stepped aside as the anti-government side surged ahead in the afternoon in resumed clashes.

so it looks like the army are making moves to protect and aid the protesters...but not actually fighting

against the pro-Mubarak gangs themselves

it's easy for me to say this, as I'm not there....but it needs the hundreds of thousands to return

in a peaceful manner and stage a long-term 'sit-in'...???

it must be really tough to stay for any length of time, though...people have got to drink, eat,

go to the toilet...sleep...and not get themselves attacked/shot by the Pro Mubarak lot

This quote below was posted in the comments under a yahoo news article about the Egyption Uprising. Not sure what it's worth if anything but ya never know. What do people here think of this?:

THE CORRUPTION OF THE LEFT WING MEDIA IN ACTION.

Egypt is finding its way towards more freedom, but please don't believe what the international media is saying! There is a plot to topple the president, and Egyptians do not want that. I have been on the streets with many hundreds of thousands, probably even millions, who want stability, dialogue, and change with Mubarak until the elections in September. There are forces taking advantage of the situation and twisting facts and figures to portray to the international community a distorted image to topple the government. The vast majority of people in the streets in peaceful demonstrations (I speak as an eyewitness because I took to the streets myself) are carrying banners saying things like:

- yes to stability, yes to Mubarak

- give change a chance

- we are sorry Mr. president

- we accept dialogue, we trust you

- no to El-Baradei, no to the muslim brotherhood (many like this one)

- we are the Egyptians, where is Al-Jazeera, let them come and see

- no to corruption, no to vandalism

- we got what we asked the president for, so why are people still in Tahrir? Who are they? What do they want?

etc., etc., etc.

We met with people who were in the original protest in Tahrir square who decided to join us saying: we got what we asked for, and now we accept Mubarak's changes and proposals.

I left the street with my wife around 4:15 pm, and the numbers in the neighbourhood of Mohandessin where we ere gathered had swelled to easily over a million. As we drove home we saw the same slogans on banners all over the city, on cars, on walls, on shop windows. We learned that similar demonstrations are taking place ALL OVER THE COUNTRY, IN MAY DIFFERENT CITIES. THIS IS THE CRY OF THE PEOPLE OF EGYPT THAT IS BEING TOTALLY IGNORED BY THE INTERNATIONAL NEWS MEDIA. Is this on purpose??!!! I am perplexed!!! I am wondering: How come CNN, the BBC, and others are reporting ONLY the anti-government protests as the voice of the people? This is not JUSTICE, this is not the TRUTH. There have been reports that these people are being paid by the government. NOT TRUE! I was there with many many others. I SAW THE STREETS.

Now to the situation in Tahrir square. Only a few people (hundreds?) are still there from the original protesters. They have been slowly replaced by other HIGHLY ORGANIZED GROUPS. They all have the same model of cell phones. They all have the same blankets (eye witnesses). THESE ARE NOT THE PEOPLE OF EGYPT. Some witnesses claim that they don't look Egyptians, and don't sound Egyptians (different accent, different dialect). THIS IS A BIG ORGANIZED COUP TO TRY TO CONVINCE THE WORLD THROUGH THE MEDIA THAT EGYPT WANTS MUBARAK TO GO, AND THE MEDIA IS PART OF THE DECEPTION. People in Tahrir square are escalating the situation on prupose to topple President Mubarak FOR THEIR OWN HIDDEN AGENDAS. This is TYPICAL OF THE MUSLIM BROTHERS, AND EVERYBODY IN THE STREETS OF CAIRO KNOWS THIS. We heard people on the streets saying that the plot to take over the country is now clear. THE INTERNATIONAL MEDIA DON'T WANT YOU TO KNOW THIS. The escalation of violence in Tahrir square is because of this. Egyptians who love Egypt, the millions that took to the streets yesterday, want this to end. They fully understand that president Mubarak is between a rock and a hard place, that he cannot quench the unrest in Tahrir through the army, so the people want to go to Tahrir to disperse the crowds there by themselves. People in Tahrir are vastly outnumbered. If Egyptians go the Tahrir square to take control of the situation, more chaos will erupt, giving a chance to the international media to blame the President even more. Don't believe an opportunist like Mohammed El-Baradei who is deceiving the international community into putting pressure on president Mubarak to leave immediately so they can fulfill their own agendas. Franklin Roosevelt said, "Nothing happens by accident in politics. If it happened, somebody MADE IT HAPPEN.

Not worth a second of the time it took to read! this is the usual paranoia pushed by those who benefit from the status quo! That reminds me of the king of SA's "infiltrators'. If hundreds of thousands who participated are foreigners who neither look nor sound like Egyptians, and are equipped with blankets and cell phones, when and how did they enter Egypt? How could such an "invasion" pass undetected by the Egyptian security? Was the security force absent? Maybe shooting and hurling rocks at unarmed citizen, with whom some some members of said "security" obligingly left their ID documents?!

Think it's a bit soon to call it a revolution just yet. There's been a surprising number of protests but don't think anything has actually changed yet.

At this point I would call it a rock fight.