Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Egyptian Revolution 2011

Nova Terra

Hundreds performed the noon prayers and later offered a prayer for the souls of protesters killed in clashes with security forces. Later, Christians held a Sunday Mass and thousands of Muslims joined in.

Some of the worshippers broke down and cried as the congregation sang: "Bless our country, listen to the screams of our hearts."

"In the name of Jesus and Muhammad we unify our ranks," Father Ihab al-Kharat said in his sermon. "We will keep protesting until the fall of the tyranny."

http://news.yahoo.co..._mi_ea/ml_egypt

This Sunday, at Tahrir Square, a Muslim sheikh and Christian priest prayed together, a example of the revival of the spirit of tolerance which characterized the Egyptian culture; until political expedience started to manipulate and cultivate sectarian divisions.

The patron of the man condemned for shooting Copts leaving church Christmas eve 2010 at Nag Hammadi was an NDP member of Parliament. The last fraudulent elections ensured his 40th year as MP for the ruling party. This is the same party which, after some cosmetic changes, is to be entrusted with planning the smooth constitutional transmission of power in Egypt.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meryt-tetisheri

• Knight Of Shadows

• bee

• Corp

The veteran leader was "fed up with being president and would like to leave office now, but cannot, he says, for fear that the country would sink into chaos," Amanpour said.

I have read this statement from Mubarak in several reports, and find it quite interesting. Is it a warning, or a threat?

It's estimated that Mubarak has something like 40 billion and possibly up to 75 billion dollars stashed away in a Swiss Bank(s). Now, Egypt isn't the wealthiest country in the ME and with a per capita GDP of 6,000 dollars a year I doubt even a dictator could dig out of a population so much money.

Anyone want to guess where his loot came from?

Edited by BlackRedLittleDevil

It's estimated that Mubarak has something like 40 billion and possibly up to 75 billion dollars stashed away in a Swiss Bank(s). Now, Egypt isn't the wealthiest country in the ME and with a per capita GDP of 6,000 dollars a year I doubt even a dictator could dig out of a population so much money.

Anyone want to guess where his loot came from?

Arms dealing, commissions on projects and various financial dealings; whether private or not!

And the revolution goes on...

Going on, expanding, gaining momentum, and reviving the good old Egyptian humor!

Some of the banners held by protesters :

# "What more can we do to (get rid of) you?

Protests? We marched ,

Strikes? We sat in;

And now even an “Zar” exorcism! Please leave"

# "The Carpenters’ syndicate is asking Master Mubarak which kind of adhesive is he using?"

A young girl held this banner:

# “Make it short. This is history, and we will have to memorize it at school.”

# Two divers held this banner under water :”Please leave before we run out of air”

# Please leave, the wife is about to give birth and the (waiting) baby does want to see you”

# What more can we do to (get rid of) you?

Protests? We marched,

Strikes? We sat in;

And now even an “Zar” exorcism!"

# The Carpenters’ syndicate is inquiring from Master Mubarak, which kind of adhesive are you using ?"

# "Please leave... my arm hurts."

# "Please leave. I got married 20 days ago and I miss my wife."

# ""Please leave. I want to get a haircut."

Since this is my fiftieth post in two weeks, as many as what I usually post in a year, so I am going to add my own

# Please leave , I want to go back to lurking!

Going on, expanding, gaining momentum, and reviving the good old Egyptian humor!

Some of the banners held by protesters :

# "What more can we do to (get rid of) you?

Protests? We marched ,

Strikes? We sat in;

And now even an Zar exorcism! Please leave"

# "The Carpenters syndicate is asking Master Mubarak which kind of adhesive is he using?"

A young girl held this banner:

# Make it short. This is history, and we will have to memorize it at school.

# Two divers held this banner under water :Please leave before we run out of air

# Please leave, the wife is about to give birth and the (waiting) baby does want to see you

# What more can we do to (get rid of) you?

Protests? We marched,

Strikes? We sat in;

And now even an Zar exorcism!"

# The Carpenters syndicate is inquiring from Master Mubarak, which kind of adhesive are you using ?"

# "Please leave... my arm hurts."

# "Please leave. I got married 20 days ago and I miss my wife."

# ""Please leave. I want to get a haircut."

:w00t::lol:

Since this is my fiftieth post in two weeks, as many as what I usually post in a year, so I am going to add my own

# Please leave , I want to go back to lurking!

:lol::clap:

Thank you for your posts, I hope you'll be free to go back to lurking soon... but I sure wouldn't mind if you keep yourself active. It's refreshing to read something sensible instead of usual, mercilessly recycled propaganda.

Edited by Helen of Annoy

:w00t::lol:

:lol::clap:

Thank you for your posts, I hope you'll be free to go back to lurking soon... but I sure wouldn't mind if you keep yourself active. It's refreshing to read something sensible instead of usual, mercilessly recycled propaganda.

Thank you Helen !

It seems the banners did work after all ! Congratulations most probably are in order, I , along with 80 something million, are ecstatic! The real work will start, but things will never go back to where they were. I'm happy!

Thank you Helen !

It seems the banners did work after all ! Congratulations most probably are in order, I , along with 80 something million, are ecstatic! The real work will start, but things will never go back to where they were. I'm happy!

:yes:

Speaking from my country’s experience, there will be loads of political parasites trying to ride the wave of people’s revolt. What common people achieved on the streets they’ll try to paint as their own success, but at least they won’t be so comfortable and stubborn after seeing the determination of the people.

Politicians often forget they are in their positions for the people, not other way around and sometimes only throwing rocks can remind them of that fact. (Sometimes eggs are enough, I remember when Hungarians threw some eggs on their prime minister and body guards were dancing around him with open umbrellas :lol: )

Congratulations!

:yes:

Speaking from my country's experience, there will be loads of political parasites trying to ride the wave of people's revolt. What common people achieved on the streets they'll try to paint as their own success, but at least they won't be so comfortable and stubborn after seeing the determination of the people.

Politicians often forget they are in their positions for the people, not other way around and sometimes only throwing rocks can remind them of that fact. (Sometimes eggs are enough, I remember when Hungarians threw some eggs on their prime minister and body guards were dancing around him with open umbrellas :lol: )

Congratulations!

Thank you for all your moral support!

The real tragedy, the steep spiral downwards, is when the people forget that the politicians are in their positions to serve, and not be served. Unfortunately, this occurs in different forms, even among some ‘mature’ democracies also. My personal wish is never again to hear a ruler of Egypt being referred to as “Father of the Nation”, the “Patriarch”, “Beloved Leader”…etc. Egyptians should now realize that their nation has come of age. At least, the younger generation has come to this conclusion.

Nope! He still doesn't get it (sigh)!!!

Some banners were written saying PLEASE LEAVE in Arabic, English, French, Chinese, Japanese, even Hieroglyphics....nothing works!

He seems to be trying to sacrifice a whole country for an individual's ego trip!

Nope! He still doesn't get it (sigh)!!!

Some banners were written saying PLEASE LEAVE in Arabic, English, French, Chinese, Japanese, even Hieroglyphics....nothing works!

He seems to be trying to sacrifice a whole country for an individual's ego trip!

Now it gets scary, if they try to march through army check points...

Now it gets scary, if they try to march through army check points...

They started marching already. Thousands more will be joining. The youth protest movement had asked that the railway workers refrain from striking to allow people to travel to Cairo, and it seems they accepted . They will not stop, even if the army shoots at them, provided it accepts to ,and is capable of sustaining the violance without a revolt in its ranks.

Only a geriatric megalomaniac can believe that the people, once their anger has reached this degree, their march gained this momentum, can be persuaded, or cowed, into turning back, even by an army willing to shoot at its own people!

He is not only putting the country at risk, but the unity of the army too. Since Mubarak vowed that he will not stop until those who are responsible for the violance are penalized, he, and his clique, should be arrested immediately.

Arms dealing, commissions on projects and various financial dealings; whether private or not!

Yeah sure. These dealings, commissions etc. might have escalated his fortune but, money brings money and lots of money brings a lot more money. Where did he initially get lots of money from?

Here's an insight from Neil Cavuto (in the video).

My link

So, he's pocketed US foreign aid directed towards the Egyptian Govt, officially meant for the sole purpose to develop the country, but strategically intended to ensure collateral cooperation and friendship with Israel.

The US has aided Egypt with over 70 billion dollars since 1971, with most of 80 million Egyptians living under the poverty line (avg per capita GDP of 6,000 dollars a year) you would have thought someone in the US Congress would have noticed something unusual. :P Or maybe it wasn't a concern, as long as Israel was safe.

They started marching already. Thousands more will be joining. The youth protest movement had asked that the railway workers refrain from striking to allow people to travel to Cairo, and it seems they accepted . They will not stop, even if the army shoots at them, provided it accepts to ,and is capable of sustaining the violance without a revolt in its ranks.

Only a geriatric megalomaniac can believe that the people, once their anger has reached this degree, their march gained this momentum, can be persuaded, or cowed, into turning back, even by an army willing to shoot at its own people!

He is not only putting the country at risk, but the unity of the army too. Since Mubarak vowed that he will not stop until those who are responsible for the violance are penalized, he, and his clique, should be arrested immediately.

I wouldn't get to cocky that this will do to overturn things. These individuals are like parassites. Remember Tianamen Square, The Communist Govt still rules the roost. Then you have Iran recently, the Ayatollah and his fanatical horde still push their issues. Mugabe, despite international sanctions and people starving, has recently spoiled himself with a new luxurious and exclusive residence. Our history is full of them and some remedies don't work.

Edited by BlackRedLittleDevil

Yeah sure. These dealings, commissions etc. might have escalated his fortune but, money brings money and lots of money brings a lot more money. Where did he initially get lots of money from?

Here's an insight from Neil Cavuto (in the video).

My link

So, he's pocketed US foreign aid directed towards the Egyptian Govt, officially meant for the sole purpose to develop the country, but strategically intended to ensure collateral cooperation and friendship with Israel.

The US has aided Egypt with over 70 billion dollars since 1971, with most of 80 million Egyptians living under the poverty line (avg per capita GDP of 6,000 dollars a year) you would have thought someone in the US Congress would have noticed something unusual. :P Or maybe it wasn't a concern, as long as Israel was safe.

The lack of checks on the practically limitless power of 'oriental' despots erases the lines of demarcation between public & private treasuries! Patriarchs tend to have deep pockets & full access to all resources of the country. ALL resources include, aid, contracts ,weapon deals, real estate etc. Consider the Toshka project, the cost of reclamation of the land was L.E.7 billion, yet 100,000 acres were sold to Prince Walid of Saudi Arabia for L.E. 50/feddan, plus tax exemption, discounted rates for water, electricity, and other facilities. He only cultivated 1% of the land! This is just one mega project, there are numerous others. Despots can also demand shares in lucrative projects…the possibilities are plentiful.

http://www.almasryalyoum.com/en/news/minister-le7-billion-spent-toshka-few-tangible-returns

http://www.almasryalyoum.com/en/news/egypts-laundry-list-land-sales-corruption

As for being "cocky", I am not, there is a real danger to the army's unity if it's forced to fire on people.

Edited by tetisheri

As for being "cocky", I am not, there is a real danger to the army's unity if it's forced to fire on people.

Hi, tetisheri. I'm very disconcerted about what is happening in Egypt, and I feel for the people who have had to suffer for a very long time. I wished to ask a question about the action (or lack of) from the military.

Is it possible the military command are remaining inactive and using this protest in the hopes of staging a coup without having to initiate it themselves?

Hi, tetisheri. I'm very disconcerted about what is happening in Egypt, and I feel for the people who have had to suffer for a very long time. I wished to ask a question about the action (or lack of) from the military.

Is it possible the military command are remaining inactive and using this protest in the hopes of staging a coup without having to initiate it themselves?

The regime is inherently a military one. Even though they are out of uniform, Egypt is, and has been, ruled by army officers since 1952!

It looks like the upper echelon of the army has sided with ‘dignified-exit-for-Mubarak’ scenario. It doesn’t seem to be good enough or acceptable to the people. Can the army maintain its unity if it is forced to take action against demonstrators?

According to BBC about 15 second rank officers have joined the protesters. The following is a clip of one of the first officers to join. He said that there are many other officers who are ‘waiting’ to join. Sorry, the clip is in Arabic, I included the link to give you the ‘feel’ of his mood & position.

It seems that bloodshed is unavoidable. Thousands are heading towards the presidential palace in Heliopolis, the army has it totally surrounded, soon Friday prayers will be over, releasing thousands more, and I’m afraid tragic clashes might start.

Read also

http://www.sandmonkey.org/2011/02/11/mubaraks-gamble/

He is gone. Congratulations to the brave Egyptians.

Good luck.

He is gone. Congratulations to the brave Egyptians.

Good luck.

Thank you !

The people have spoken!

Egypt's revolution has been peaceful, dignified, and 'civilized'.

I am proud and happy

Edited by tetisheri

CONGRATULATIONS ARE NOW OFFICIALLY IN ORDER! :)

Congratulations and jubilations to the people of Egypt, tetisheri.

I hope the High Council now oversees a smooth, and quick, process to new elections and a representative Government.

Despite all fears, this was a secular democratic revolution. It is unlikely that those who have experienced the success of "people power" will quietly accept the re institution of a non democratic regime. I am hopeful.