Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Oak Island Money Pit!

Soul Kitchen

I love the money pit.

I confess that I did first hear about it on Ancient Aliens, and while I may not believe it has any extra-terrestrial significance it is still a cool little place.

I don't feel like sifting through the b.s., but I want to know more about it. I know there are some pretty damn knowledgable people browsing this Ancient Mystery forum, so I'm counting on you guys to enlighten me. Give me your data and your theories, and engage yourselves in discussion just so that I could learn more for myself. :tu:

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vitruvian12

• kmt_sesh

• Soul Kitchen

• booNyzarC

Well, the first, and most significant point, I think, is that it may not actually exist.

When one comes down to it, one only has the original story and the occasional undecipherable trinket that alludes towards its existence. We don't even know where the original pit is, nor if the water traps were not just natural pre-existing tunnels, or even, for that matter, why anyone burying a treasure would leave a note mentioning that they buried a treasure there.

When all is said and done, it is not beyond the realm of possibility that a couple of guys decided to con someone into buying their island by creating a rather simplistic treasure story, and the myth just took off from there, aided by people who refused to believe something they spent so much time and money on may simply not be true.

Alright, I'll share with you the secret of the pit. I've been holding it back for a very long time, although I've hinted about it on a couple of occasions. Let the truth come out.

It is where all of the lost partners of mismatched socks wind up. I know, it is unbelievable. I know, it seems too simplistic. But it is a fact.

No, I don't have any evidence to prove it to you, so you really just have to take my word for it. I know that is a lousy excuse, but that is they way of all important truths. You simply have to believe me. And if you don't... well, you'll have a cold foot and it isn't my problem.

So there you have it folks. From washer to dryer to folding, you know that you've all lost a sock here and there. Where did they go? They've gone to Sock Valhalla; or as mortals refer to it... the money pit of Oak Island.

My advice? Buy a new pair. The money wasted on searching that pit hasn't turned up anything of value yet, let alone these elusive socks. And besides... who wants socks that don't want you? ;)

It is where all of the lost partners of mismatched socks wind up. I know, it is unbelievable. I know, it seems too simplistic. But it is a fact.

:w00t: Well, damn, there's that mystery solved! Never again need I expend time searching the laundry room for errant socks. How about coat hangers, booNyzarC? Does the Money Pit gobble up all of my missing coat hangers, too?

I confess that the Money Pit has long interested me, if incidentally. I think there was a special on it on the Discovery Channel or History Channel years ago, back when those channels still had content worth watching. Not that anyone should pay any mind to something as inane as Ancient Aliens, but I don't know why the Money Pit should figure into one of its unfortunate episodes.

I've thought about buying a book like this one just to learn more about the Money Pit, so maybe I will sooner or later. But for a great fiction spin on it, you can't beat a book called Riptide. It's written by a terrific writing team, Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. ^_^

P.S. Sorry about the Ancient Aliens rant. The mere mention of that silly show sets me off. Obviously.

Alright, I'll share with you the secret of the pit. I've been holding it back for a very long time, although I've hinted about it on a couple of occasions. Let the truth come out.

No, I don't have any evidence to prove it to you, so you really just have to take my word for it. I know that is a lousy excuse, but that is they way of all important truths. You simply have to believe me. And if you don't... well, you'll have a cold foot and it isn't my problem.

So there you have it folks. From washer to dryer to folding, you know that you've all lost a sock here and there. Where did they go? They've gone to Sock Valhalla; or as mortals refer to it... the money pit of Oak Island.

My advice? Buy a new pair. The money wasted on searching that pit hasn't turned up anything of value yet, let alone these elusive socks. And besides... who wants socks that don't want you? ;)

My God... :blink:

I've thought about buying a book like this one just to learn more about the Money Pit, so maybe I will sooner or later. But for a great fiction spin on it, you can't beat a book called Riptide. It's written by a terrific writing team, Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. ^_^

Oak Island gives One-Eyed Willy a run for his money.

I've heard that oak island is so full of pits and holes and shafts that it's dangerous just walking around there.

BTW, RIPTIDE by Preston and Child is a great book recommended to all.

Oak Island gives One-Eyed Willy a run for his money.

I've heard that oak island is so full of pits and holes and shafts that it's dangerous just walking around there.

BTW, RIPTIDE by Preston and Child is a great book recommended to all.

A fellow Preston and Child fan, perchance?

A fellow Preston and Child fan, perchance?

Yep, I've read all their books, solo stuff included.

Yep, I've read all their books, solo stuff included.

Same here. Excellent work by both of them together and by each of them independently. I'm a docent at the Field Museum in Chicago, where the film Relic was filmed back in the 1990s, and that's what got me started with Preston and Child. Saw the movie, liked it, thought the book would be better, and it was. And I never turned back. Pity the movie didn't even have Agent Pendergast, but that's movies for ya.

But I digress. Now, back to our regularly scheduled topic. :innocent:

From what I can rememeber from the book I read on it the pit held either; the treasure of the Templar Knights, Aztec gold rescued from the spanish, or manuscripts proving francis bacon was shakespear, and a few other theories Im sure. There were a few storeys about what had been brought up, coconut husks, strange glyph stones, a gold link, and intricate booby traps. Convieniently none of these things survived beyond the telling of them. The island is so riddled with holes that the original hole is unknown I think

The story is it was placed there by pirates. Maybe pirates were not responsible for this at all. Have you ever though of the idea that maybe it was not someone form the top going down, but someone from below coming out?

The story is it was placed there by pirates. Maybe pirates were not responsible for this at all. Have you ever though of the idea that maybe it was not someone form the top going down, but someone from below coming out?

where would you put the dirt if you were digging a hole from the bottom up?

where would you put the dirt if you were digging a hole from the bottom up?

It must have been eaten... Maybe it was created by a creature like the horta... ;)

STDevilDark.jpg

It must have been eaten... Maybe it was created by a creature like the horta... ;)

STDevilDark.jpg

Of course,

Whats it like to be so wise

From what I can rememeber from the book I read on it the pit held either; the treasure of the Templar Knights, Aztec gold rescued from the spanish, or manuscripts proving francis bacon was shakespear, and a few other theories Im sure. There were a few storeys about what had been brought up, coconut husks, strange glyph stones, a gold link, and intricate booby traps. Convieniently none of these things survived beyond the telling of them. The island is so riddled with holes that the original hole is unknown I think

Damn... That's news. Discouraging..,

Damn... That's news. Discouraging..,

I havent searched it for a few years, Im sure there is some new company waiting to try their luck