Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists develop the 'cyberhug'

Still Waters

Scientists claim the average hug lasts for three seconds, but it has long been claimed that computers could allow us to do so remotely using electrical sensors.

Sensory equipment enabling people to share a hug across cyberspace has been in development for several years, and experts insist it will one day become part of everyday life.

Adrian Cheok, associate professor at Singapore's Nanyang Technological University developed one such system in 2005 allowing parents and children to share "cyberhugs" while miles apart.

Teddy bears were fitted with sensors that detected when they were hugged by the parent, and the sensation was transmitted to the child via a special jacket fitted with heated copper wires.

Speaking at the time, he told CNN: "For a while technology has been driving people apart, locking them in front of computer screens, now we hope to use it to bring them together."

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• d e v i c e

• Prab

• _MagixX_

• Timothy

Im all for the cyberhug. Nothing wrong with that. But I dont fully agree that technology has been driving people apart. In a lot of ways technology ie. computers, actually draws people together. If people withdraw from others in favour of the computer screen, its probably for a good reason. That's my feeling.

Edited by Evilution13

Im all for the cyberhug. Nothing wrong with that. But I dont fully agree that technology has been driving people apart. In a lot of ways technology ie. computers, actually draws people together. If people withdraw from others in favour of the computer screen, its probably for a good reason. That's my feeling.

Yeah but maybe in future this can also lead to driving apart of people for example - (I don't even think that a robot hugging or just some sensation of hugging can be equivalent or even close to the real one)

Girl - Can we meet?

Boy - I am busy..

G- But I need someone now because I am very upset today.

B- Don't trouble me let me send you a hug.

lol !

"Mr Tsetserukou said he decided not to incorporate sexual arousal into the product because it may compromise his aim of improving emotional connection across the internet."

Here the role of hackers come in and it will ultimately lead this way only.

And where there is technology there is a security risk.

Is cyber hugs really top of the list of what mankind needs? What a waste of time. No wonder we are doomed.

Yeah but maybe in future this can also lead to driving apart of people for example - (I don't even think that a robot hugging or just some sensation of hugging can be equivalent or even close to the real one)

Girl - Can we meet?

Boy - I am busy..

G- But I need someone now because I am very upset today.

B- Don't trouble me let me send you a hug.

lol !

"Mr Tsetserukou said he decided not to incorporate sexual arousal into the product because it may compromise his aim of improving emotional connection across the internet."

Here the role of hackers come in and it will ultimately lead this way only.

And where there is technology there is a security risk.

Yeah for sure. You could never beat the real thing. But a cyberhug might still be nice for someone who, for whatever reasons, doesn't have anyone to give them a real one, you know. And also refering to your example, the girl might be okay with that if the guy was genuinely busy. It might keep their relationship alive the same way flowers do, you know, "hey baby, I cant be with you right now but Im gonna give you a cyberhug okay?" Lol. But you're right, I guess some people will just avoid emotional contact altogether and "get the computer to do it". On the whole, for me, I think there's a place for the cyberhug in this modern society. Be weird but I'd give it a go :lol:

Edited by Evilution13

How about a cyber b*tch slap? ha ha ha!

That would be awesome. I'd get so many hugs everyday :blush:

The days I can't get out of the house and really hug people would actually be better :tu:

Yeah for sure. You could never beat the real thing. But a cyberhug might still be nice for someone who, for whatever reasons, doesn't have anyone to give them a real one, you know. And also refering to your example, the girl might be okay with that if the guy was genuinely busy. It might keep their relationship alive the same way flowers do, you know, "hey baby, I cant be with you right now but Im gonna give you a cyberhug okay?" Lol. But you're right, I guess some people will just avoid emotional contact altogether and "get the computer to do it". On the whole, for me, I think there's a place for the cyberhug in this modern society. Be weird but I'd give it a go :lol:

Yeah but just a simple hug by a robot just wouldn't work for me ;) I would certainly ask for more :P

You need cyberpunch how fun would that be

That would be awesome. I'd get so many hugs everyday :blush:

The days I can't get out of the house and really hug people would actually be better :tu:

I agree. Hugs always make me feel good- these would make me feel good even if they weren't as good as the real thing. Things that make people feel good- I can't see how that is a waste of time and money.

Win for cybersex! Might need some new global X-rated emoticons though, an angry face might not be good for your junk...

Also I can imagine these suits malfunctioning with people wearing them, going into spasms as their muscles contract uncontrollably unable to take them off, YouTube please.

Edited by Tim.C Melbourne

I had to come take a peek at what you guys were saying about this one :) You know if they are working on Cyber Hugs then what else are they working on we might get to feel from a computer other than bad eyes or Carpal tunnel syndrome?

So this makes me envision a 700lbs bald nakid fat man sitting at a computer sending out cyberhugs and ..other stuff... what a sick and twisted world!

Edited by S I N

I am sorry but this opens too many doors for the future,lol. You know human beings. They will certainly take this to the next level and probably not a healthy one. :rolleyes: