Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Was Mona Lisa really a man?

Still Waters

Call her "Manny Lisa"? Italian researchers say the model for the world's most famous painting may have been a male apprentice and also a lover of the artist, Leonardo da Vinci.

The identity of the Mona Lisa, which hangs in the Louvre in Paris and draws 8.5 million visitors a year, has been an enduring mystery.

But now her (or is it his?) secrets are seemingly being revealed every few years.

A group of Italian scientists and art historians announced today that a male apprentice and longtime companion of da Vinci was the main influence and model for the "Mona Lisa" painting, The Associated Press reported.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• itsjustlife

• OverSword

• JGirl

• PAPA PITBULL63

The prime suspect - Gian Giacomo Caprotti - daVinci's apprentice for 20 years.

article-1352915-0D0735EE000005DC-841_308x185.jpg

sure resembles the mona lisa

i heard a while back that he painted his own self portrait as a woman. saw them overlay the two pics and they did have similar features, but this looks pretty close!

I could go for that 100% (as 'she' does look like a young man), if it weren't for the cleavage.

Maybe the Mona Lisa is his apprentice, and the boy was the butt of one epic burn, spanning centuries.

Edited by expandmymind

%

Surely resembles upto 90% according to me.

I could go for that 100% (as 'she' does look like a young man), if it weren't for the cleavage.

Maybe the Mona Lisa is his apprentice, and the boy was the butt of one epic burn, spanning centuries.

Yeah I thought the same,,, in the painting its a women and maybe its a female version of the man.

I always thought there was a manish quality to the portrait, it makes sense to me.

yawn that has been going for a long time now!!!

Hey Guys I have posted this same discovery on this site many times over the last 5 years. I haven't been able to get a new source to pick it up.. You can imagine how frustrating it is to see this story get so much publicity when it's something that's in my book and on my web site. I actually have photo and animation proof of this as well as quotes from Leonardo and more. You can click my username to see the posts i've left and the dates i've posted them.

Please check out my blog/ web site to see more.

My Web site

My Blog

dddmonsalaiflyer.jpg

all3john.jpg

3wayijl.jpg

I would say no. Leonardo was much too accurate and the noses are way too different.

But I would be willing to bet that if Leonardo were alive today he would be blown away that there is so much to do about a painting that probably did not rank up very high on his own personal list of favorites.

I always thought there was a manish quality to the portrait, it makes sense to me.

Same here... It really does look like Salai. About the cleavage, I believe it is the easiest way to disguise the fact that he is indeed painting his love for a man.

Is the similarity because of them being the same person, or is it because of Da Vinci's style of painting?

I think that it is possible that the Mona Lisa could have not actually been a real person. She could have just been a creation of Da Vinci.

Same here... It really does look like Salai. About the cleavage, I believe it is the easiest way to disguise the fact that he is indeed painting his love for a man.

Amen! There is a reason - beyond that he used Salai as the model that the paintings combine. Check out mysite please! itsjustlife.com

Hey Guys I have posted this same discovery on this site many times over the last 5 years. I haven't been able to get a new source to pick it up.. You can imagine how frustrating it is to see this story get so much publicity when it's something that's in my book and on my web site. I actually have photo and animation proof of this as well as quotes from Leonardo and more. You can click my username to see the posts i've left and the dates i've posted them.

Please check out my blog/ web site to see more.

I knew I remembered someone saying this on the site before. I thought it was the same person who was getting the publicity now. Sorry it didn't turn out that way for you. Have you contacted anybody to show that you had this idea as well?

I knew I remembered someone saying this on the site before. I thought it was the same person who was getting the publicity now. Sorry it didn't turn out that way for you. Have you contacted anybody to show that you had this idea as well?

yeah that was me! unexplained mysteries was one of the only sites to feature an article about what I found. I stopped trying a while ago so could finish up re-writing my book. But since something in my book is getting press - but NOT by me. I decided to try again. Hopefully this time i'll be more successful.

For the people wondering about why there are similarities between the paintings it's not because he used the same model for inspiration for the paintings. It's that the PAINTINGS will align when they are superimposed over each other.

This is a drawing from Leonardo's journals. See the three faces? They would become if this was seen from the front.

image40.jpg

derekbair.blogspot.com

i always thought the mona lisa was a self portrait,is'nt it?

People thought the Mona Lisa was a self portrait of da Vinci because his OTHER self portrait combines with it.

Which is true, but why would he do this?

3wayijl.jpg

So is the Mona Lisa just what happens when an artist paints like a thousand faces; they all start to look alike, or is it the world's first example of rule 63?

Hard to say. Da Vinci was seriously the Renaissance man's Renaissance man. It has been argued that he incorporated entire musical scores into his paintings, so if he had a mind to do it, he certainly wasn't above sticking Easter eggs into his art.