Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cars could be made from mushrooms

Still Waters

In the future, mushrooms may be as common in cars as they are on pizza.

Believe it or not, scientists who are trying to find more sustainable ways to build car parts believe the answers may be found in things such as mushroom roots.

The newest episode of the PBS series "Nova," which airs Wednesday, focuses on the new discoveries that scientists such as Deborah Mielewski, the technical leader of plastics research at Ford Motor Co., are working on to reduce the carbon tire track that autos leave on the environment.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BiffSplitkins

• Funky Poacher

• Robbie333

• :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

I apologize before hand but my sense of humor just couldn't be held back. If I lick my bumper will I get a buzz? Sorry :lol:

I apologize before hand but my sense of humor just couldn't be held back. If I lick my bumper will I get a buzz? Sorry :lol:

I thought the same thing.

"Introducing the new Cheverolet Tripp"

I thought the same thing.

"Introducing the new Cheverolet Tripp"

The new Timithy O'Leary green car? Whaaaa? LOL :w00t:

Funny guys, but seriously there are more mushrooms which don't give you a psychoactive experience.

I think it's apt to make cars or anything for that matter out of our environment. Perhaps that would mean less fuel burning? Not sure, but it seems more economic than using anything hazardous.

When I seen this topic, I thought about Toadstool from MarioKart!! Maybe it will look like this car...

post-152-0-10765500-1296837148_thumb.jpg

Funny guys, but seriously there are more mushrooms which don't give you a psychoactive experience.

Yeah, but what's the point of those ones?

Actually, they could be doing this with hemp already, anyways.

Ta-da.

This will be great to see, if it even is out into action. I have a feeling this is going to fall into the bottomless abyss of dismissed ideas that will change our lives for the better.

Great idea!

I'm presuming the old models will be recycled in a frying pan and served with a nice steak?

Great idea!

I'm presuming the old models will be recycled in a frying pan and served with a nice steak?

In some place of the US, old cars wont rot in front of the yard as they will slowly be eaten away :innocent:

Actually, they could be doing this with hemp already, anyways.

Ta-da.

Driver: Duuude. Why does it feel like it's taking forever to reach our destination?

Passenger: That's because you are driving 4mph.. pass the Cheetos.

Hemp doesn't really have any THC. You couldn't get high off your car.

While I appreciate your attempt at humour, crap like that is why hemp isn't viewed as a viable replacement to plastic (and many other products). There is so much negative views of it because of it's relation to pot, and it's actually really frustrating.

I'd call it the Mycon-o-car, myco- for fungi and ...con-o-car, sounds like econo, as in economical.

I saw part of that show. It was pretty good.

The advantage the mushroom would have over hemp is that the fungus grows into the rough shape of the part and then they only need to fit it into a mold and cover it with a coating. Hemp would need a lot more processing and cannot be used as a cushion material.

Edited by DieChecker

Driver: Duuude. Why does it feel like it's taking forever to reach our destination?

Passenger: That's because you are driving 4mph.. pass the Cheetos.

LOL!