Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Those Who've Seen the Hatman/Shadow People

Lucky7

You think about fish and coincidentally fish is served in the dinner the same day. And you take it as a meaningful coincidence? But what you failed to realize is that there have been another thousand times you thought about fish but fish wasn't served in the dinner the same day or it was served on the day you didn't think about it. If fish is served at least once in a month and you think about it at least twice in a month, then according to the law of probability there are (2/30).(1/30) = 2/900 i.e. 1 in 450 chances of the two being overlapped. You are taking that one occurence as a meaningful coincidence when its probability is already 1 in 450 and leaving out the rest 1000 times it didn't coincide when its probably was 449 out of 450. What you thought of as a meaningful coincidence was in fact only a random coincidence occuring within the bounds of its probabilty limits, out of those 1000 times that you thought about fish, scientifically, it would still be called random even if it overlapped 3 times with the fish being served but you are jumping in joy about just one coincidence. How logical is that? No this is not science. From a scientific point of view it is just superstition.

Here is a better example(JUNG):

On April 1 1949, I made a note in the morning of an inscription containing a figure that was half man half fish. There was fish for lunch. Somebody mentioned the custom of making an "April Fish" of someone. In the afternoon a former patient of mine, whom I had not seen for months, showed me some impressive pictures of fish. In the evening, I was shown a piece of embroidery with sea monsters and fish in it. The next morning, I saw a former patient, who was visiting me for the first time in ten years. She dreamed of a large fish the night before. A few months later when I was using this series for a larger work and had just finished writing it down, I walked over to a spot by the lake in front of the house, where I had already been several times that morning. This time a fish a foot long lay on the sea wall. Since no one else was present I have no idea how the fish could have got there.

The greater number of terms in a series, or the more unusual its character, the more improbable it becomes. It is more improbable than mere duplication.

Um, no, not for everyone, a person does not necessarily have to be in bed or asleep...interesting story though.

sto·ry

/ˈstôrē/

Noun

• An account of imaginary or real people and events told for entertainment: "an adventure story".

Synonyms

tale - narrative - history - fable - floor - storey

Difference between the stories here and my events, is that is not a fictional tale, I have evidence by my doctor on it, I have had medical examination which can be proven unlike others.

Also, Maybe you should of read the first sentence i wrote..

I call this bullcrap for the most part,

• Like 1

I'm on the Jungian fence on this one. It's likely that the old hag is in Jung's bag in that "she" comes from the very real common phenomenon of night terrors and sleep paralysis, and this might have evolved into an archetype since it's a shared experience. Like you, I don't think that all of these phenomena are evil branches of the same wicked tree. I think that they're part of a paranormal menagerie, something akin to normal zoology with all of the varied species found in that field.

If it helps ...or muddys this argument my shadow experience involved both the hag and hat man concurrently

• Like 1

sto·ry

/ˈstôrē/

Noun

• An account of imaginary or real people and events told for entertainment: "an adventure story".

Synonyms

tale - narrative - history - fable - floor - storey

Difference between the stories here and my events, is that is not a fictional tale, I have evidence by my doctor on it, I have had medical examination which can be proven unlike others.

Also, Maybe you should of read the first sentence i wrote..

A story does not have to be fiction. Also fiction tells the truth while non-fiction talks about the truth and both can be "bullcrap", so it all depends.

If it helps ...or muddys this argument my shadow experience involved both the hag and hat man concurrently

Me too; mine was the cloaked void (basically hatman in a cloak) followed by what I would call Lady Evil (because I like Black Sabbath). Same beings working in pairs concurrently.

There is no argument here, just some mud slinging to watch out for.

Hi. :)

I'm "new" to this site - but saw this thread and I had to reply...

I didn't even know "he" was called a "hat man" until I came upon that term around 2 days ago... I about crapped myself, to be honest!, when I saw a drawing/description of him... it was SO accurate as to what I saw... he LET me see him before he "de-materialized" and FLEW SO FAST to the other side of the living room, to the wall/window around 15 feet away from him. This happened twice - almost back to back, the same night/early morning, around 2:30am, or so...

I've seen "my" hat man twice - same figure - tall man (at least 7 feet tall, I'd say), opaque black, not able to see ANY facial/body features, but he had on what looked kind of like a cowboy hat and a LONG trenchcoat...

Nobody else at my house (except for myself and my dog) have ever sensed him or seen him...

I saw him a few years back (I believe it was a few years max. - can't remember exactly when it was), haven't SEEN him since that, but I "feel" he's for sure still with me (not ALL the time, but I get a completely different "body feel" when I sense him, or anything else paranormal)... when I saw him - I believe the atmosphere at my house was NOT good. He seemed/felt like pure evil to me... I'm a stay at home Mom to a 4 year old daughter w/ special needs - and I was VERY stressed out and overwhelmed feeling, when I saw him... he seems to share his "being there" w/ me when I'm really stressed, when I really think about it...

If any of this info helps anyone....

I'm Athiest...

I'll be 34 this November...

I'm a spiritual person, just not religious...

I've just started to learn about meditating and opening your third eye - VERY interesting stuff - can't wait to learn more about meditation...

I'm "bi-polar" but on meds for it...

-Elizabeth :)

• Like 1

How did they react to each other? It reminds me of a comic book where two superheroes/supervillains appear in the same issue.

I may or may not have misused the word concurrently. It was not simultaneous but involved in the same event that can last for years. The event is when synchronicity really kicks in at an astonishing pace. They each play a part and actually there are three: cloaked void (first), Lady Evil, and then ultimately a Devil not to mention a host of demons. It's a cast of characters playing the parts they always have for a single purpose. This is when the sh!t hits the fan where time seems to speed and warp while driving someone to an unknown end because there is a choice involved. They provide enough personal evidence through horrifying experience so that the person will not be able to avoid making an informed decision.

Anyway, that's my story.

I may or may not have misused the word concurrently. It was not simultaneous but involved in the same event that can last for years. The event is when synchronicity really kicks in at an astonishing pace. They each play a part and actually there are three: cloaked void (first), Lady Evil, and then ultimately a Devil not to mention a host of demons. It's a cast of characters playing the parts they always have for a single purpose. This is when the sh!t hits the fan where time seems to speed and warp while driving someone to an unknown end because there is a choice involved. They provide enough personal evidence through horrifying experience so that the person will not be able to avoid making an informed decision.

Anyway, that's my story.

Ah, so you post with two user names. :) Your theory might be correct, but it could be that they aren't the same beings, just part of the same type of phenomenon. It's like how someone might see both Bigfoot and Yeti during the course of their life. Of course, the proximity of the shadow beings makes the experience seem more immediate. You might be correct about a single source from which they spring. On the other hand, there may be no relationships between the beings except for how dark and strange they are. They might be from alternative realities if they exist at all. I didn't read your full story, so I realize my theories might not apply to your own situation, which some might say is caused by normal factors that are interpreted in a weird way by the five senses.

How did they react to each other? It reminds me of a comic book where two superheroes/supervillains appear in the same issue.

The old lady was next to and leaning over my bed rocking back and forth while the hatman stood in my doorway. Id be lying if I said I remembered exact details (20ish years ago) but I've always felt they were interacting in some manner.

Thats funny BTW.

Edited by Farmer77

I didn't read your full story.

He never posted his full story. He just posts a link to his book that he himself says is a fiction. Self-promotion or not, I'm not sure. When asked why the fiction he says the usual : "fiction speaks the truth...".

• Like 1

Ah, so you post with two user names. :) Your theory might be correct, but it could be that they aren't the same beings, just part of the same type of phenomenon. It's like how someone might see both Bigfoot and Yeti during the course of their life. Of course, the proximity of the shadow beings makes the experience seem more immediate. You might be correct about a single source from which they spring. On the other hand, there may be no relationships between the beings except for how dark and strange they are. They might be from alternative realities if they exist at all. I didn't read your full story, so I realize my theories might not apply to your own situation, which some might say is caused by normal factors that are interpreted in a weird way by the five senses.

No. I just used the word concurrently, after the other guy used that word, without really thinking of the meaning of the word at the time. They either use archetypal imagery, or the archetype is based on how they are and have been through the centuries. Look up Baba Yaga and you will see Lady evil etc. We all use theories to make sense of what occurs and then when theories overlap you might be on to something...the word paranormal exists because these are not normal factors most people deal with in day to day life.

Hi. :)

I'm "new" to this site - but saw this thread and I had to reply...

I didn't even know "he" was called a "hat man" until I came upon that term around 2 days ago... I about crapped myself, to be honest!, when I saw a drawing/description of him... it was SO accurate as to what I saw... he LET me see him before he "de-materialized" and FLEW SO FAST to the other side of the living room, to the wall/window around 15 feet away from him. This happened twice - almost back to back, the same night/early morning, around 2:30am, or so...

I've seen "my" hat man twice - same figure - tall man (at least 7 feet tall, I'd say), opaque black, not able to see ANY facial/body features, but he had on what looked kind of like a cowboy hat and a LONG trenchcoat...

Nobody else at my house (except for myself and my dog) have ever sensed him or seen him...

I saw him a few years back (I believe it was a few years max. - can't remember exactly when it was), haven't SEEN him since that, but I "feel" he's for sure still with me (not ALL the time, but I get a completely different "body feel" when I sense him, or anything else paranormal)... when I saw him - I believe the atmosphere at my house was NOT good. He seemed/felt like pure evil to me... I'm a stay at home Mom to a 4 year old daughter w/ special needs - and I was VERY stressed out and overwhelmed feeling, when I saw him... he seems to share his "being there" w/ me when I'm really stressed, when I really think about it...

If any of this info helps anyone....

I'm Athiest...

I'll be 34 this November...

I'm a spiritual person, just not religious...

I've just started to learn about meditating and opening your third eye - VERY interesting stuff - can't wait to learn more about meditation...

I'm "bi-polar" but on meds for it...

-Elizabeth :)

I will say just be aware and see if this kind of thing infringes on your meditations. Meditation should be a safe personal place you know and return to, so if that changes then I would be concerned. For me, even when all hell broke loose, I could still meditate on a regular basis--for the most part-- no matter what was going on, and the meditation can improve over time with the results of experience. [there is some intrinsic danger though, and even the strictly Zen practitioners have warnings]

• Like 1

The old lady was next to and leaning over my bed rocking back and forth while the hatman stood in my doorway. Id be lying if I said I remembered exact details (20ish years ago) but I've always felt they were interacting in some manner.

Thats funny BTW.

Could your experience have been caused by sleep paralysis? I had an experience that involved all of my senses, and two perceived beings were involved. I seemingly was strangled and suffocated by one of them. The other one seemed to be the "good cop" in the scenario.

He never posted his full story. He just posts a link to his book that he himself says is a fiction. Self-promotion or not, I'm not sure. When asked why the fiction he says the usual : "fiction speaks the truth...".

Thanks for the information. I'll put the cryptic statement in the "what is the sound of one hand clapping?" category.

• Like 1

No. I just used the word concurrently, after the other guy used that word, without really thinking of the meaning of the word at the time. They either use archetypal imagery, or the archetype is based on how they are and have been through the centuries. Look up Baba Yaga and you will see Lady evil etc. We all use theories to make sense of what occurs and then when theories overlap you might be on to something...the word paranormal exists because these are not normal factors most people deal with in day to day life.

I also believe in the paranormal, but I think that many ostensibly paranormal events turn out to be normal ones. They have prosaic origins. It's just a matter of separating the magic and mysterious wheat from the mundane chaff. It's separating the shadow beings from the scary nightmares.

Thanks for the information. I'll put the cryptic statement in the "what is the sound of one hand clapping?" category.

"Cryptic" is not necessarily fiction. File that anywhere you want.

Thread cleaned

XingWi and MarkPrice - it might be better to take any personal disagreements to PMs.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Around this time last year I saw the hat man. I saw him twice, once was very close to me within 3 feet. I was in a car and he passed just outside the door, these entities are incredibly fast. Has anyone been seeing them lately? I didn't know what it was called until just know that someone describe it to me on twitter. I don't think they like me very much.

Around this time last year I saw the hat man. I saw him twice, once was very close to me within 3 feet. I was in a car and he passed just outside the door, these entities are incredibly fast. Has anyone been seeing them lately? I didn't know what it was called until just know that someone describe it to me on twitter. I don't think they like me very much.

Hello, would you please describe your experience in more detail? ... were you the driver of the car, where were you travelling from and to, what road were you travelling on and where on the road were you, what time of day, who was in the car, were you the driver or the passenger, and any other details you can remember.