Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Those Who've Seen the Hatman/Shadow People

Lucky7

20 hours ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

I will admit that I've seen a "shadow person", but it was when I was a kid, and not as wise as I am now.  For those that have, and still do, please follow this important link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia

Don't be offended if people who have actually seen a shadow man dismiss that Thor. What I saw, in full daylight mind you, definitely wasn't pareidola. It was a straight up pitch black cloud that spun like a tornado. I was like 35 years old, and had never before seen anything like it. It's the only thing in my adult life that ever made me feel like a terrified child. 

I wont be so afraid next time we meet though. Bet your ***

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Don't be offended if people who have actually seen a shadow man dismiss that Thor.

Why would it offend me?  What offends me is science and facts being dismissed out of hand because it doesn't gel with what someone wants to think happened.

What I saw, in full daylight mind you, definitely wasn't pareidola.

Then what was it?  And it could still very well easily be pareidolia.

It was a straight up pitch black cloud that spun like a tornado. I was like 35 years old, and had never before seen anything like it. It's the only thing in my adult life that ever made me feel like a terrified child. 

Sounds 1) interesting, and 2) a wild mis-interpretation.

I wont be so afraid next time we meet though. Bet your ***

And you'll have a camera, too, I bet.  And hope.  And if I ever see a pitch black cloud that spun like a tornado, I hope I get a picture of it as well.

I do have nightmares about tornadoes from time to time.  I've never seen one in person.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

And it could still very well easily be pareidolia.

Probably nothing more than a visual hallucination.

I mean if I can got to a cemetery at midnight the day of Halloween. Draw a sigil on the ground to 'wake the dead'. Then see a slender man type figure, a phantom dog, and a cat with glowing red eyes. Anyone can do it. Broke the sigil and the 'ghost' disappeared.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Probably nothing more than a visual hallucination.

Well, I'm not saying that preacherman didn't see anything, just that what he saw most likely was not what he thought he saw.

And if it was, and he gets proof....that would be fantastic.

6 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I mean if I can got to a cemetery at midnight the day of Halloween. Draw a sigil on the ground to 'wake the dead'. Then see a slender man type figure, a phantom dog, and a cat with glowing red eyes. Anyone can do it. Broke the sigil and the 'ghost' disappeared.

I bet I can't do that.  But my brain is way too rooted in the normal (disappointingly so, sometimes) to be fooled like that. :) 

Oh, and children, don't trespass in a cemetery and draw weird symbols in the ground, please.

• Like 4

I had plenty of experiences with shadow people (none in hats). Also, they were observed by my partner, and at times when we were up and about as well as lying in bed. 

I believe people create this phenomena, and I know that it can be just as easily expelled (even the hypnagogic or sleep paralysis type). You just have to realize that you're in control of it. Then you need to work on whatever "inner demons" you have, because those tend to become outer ones if not dealt with. Some people walk around harboring a lot of guilt, and often, it's over things they really didn't have any control over. If they can figure out what they're punishing themselves for and forgive themselves for it, those things that go bump in the night will miraculously disappear. I know this from experience. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

Oh, and children, don't trespass in a cemetery and draw weird symbols in the ground, please.

Forgot to insert a disclaimer. Nice catch.:tu:

1 minute ago, ChaosRose said:

I had plenty of experiences with shadow people (none in hats). Also, they were observed by my partner, and at times when we were up and about as well as lying in bed. 

I believe people create this phenomena, and I know that it can be just as easily expelled (even the hypnagogic or sleep paralysis type). You just have to realize that you're in control of it. Then you need to work on whatever "inner demons" you have, because those tend to become outer ones if not dealt with. Some people walk around harboring a lot of guilt, and often, it's over things they really didn't have any control over. If they can figure out what they're punishing themselves for and forgive themselves for it, those things that go bump in the night will miraculously disappear. I know this from experience. 

Just bolding for emphasis.

• Like 5

Something I found...

1. You can forget of explaining to people who have never witnessed such a situation before all you want. They will look for something else to explain it, be it sleep paralysis, etc.

2. The more you try to explain how real this situation was, the more they will tell you it was an illusion.

If you are lucky they will witness it themselves one day and get there pants wet...

Now the other side of things.

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 2:38 AM, XenoFish said:

Tell me. If these people are the witnesses and you a person that was not there, ever experienced anything like this or seen it happening...

How can you try to explain?

• Like 1

My hat blew off the other day, while I was crossing a busy road. Unfortunately, it then got run over by a couple of semi-trailers. (18 wheelers I think they call them in the US ) Lucky I wasn't still wearing it, as I'd be a flat hat-man ! A miracle then occurred, as I retrieved the hat, I found it still in good wearable condition. Remarkable, best hat in the world imo, made from kangaroo leather.

4 hours ago, Nico vd W said:

Something I found...

1. You can forget of explaining to people who have never witnessed such a situation before all you want. They will look for something else to explain it, be it sleep paralysis, etc.

2. The more you try to explain how real this situation was, the more they will tell you it was an illusion.

If you are lucky they will witness it themselves one day and get there pants wet...

Now the other side of things.

4 hours ago, Nico vd W said:

Tell me. If these people are the witnesses and you a person that was not there, ever experienced anything like this or seen it happening...

Me and Thor this time. 

Since I've spent years practicing magick. I've learned that the techniques induce things like seeing ghost and shadow people through psych tricks, I will ask my 'partner in crime of rational thinking' for assistance.

meme-center-epic-fail-department_o_28704

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Me and Thor this time. 

Since I've spent years practicing magick. I've learned that the techniques induce things like seeing ghost and shadow people through psych tricks, I will ask my 'partner in crime of rational thinking' for assistance.

meme-center-epic-fail-department_o_28704

Interesting. You believe in magic. I don't.

Just now, Nico vd W said:

Interesting. You believe in magic. I don't.

https://mysticjournal.wordpress.com/2013/05/19/models-of-magick-part-ii-what-are-the-advantages-and-disadvantages-of-each-model-of-magick/

Scroll down to where you see the psychological model. That's what I believe. The Hat-man and the like are just phantoms of the minds eye. Imagination.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nico vd W said:

I have experienced it, and I have explained it, easily.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, XenoFish said:

https://mysticjournal.wordpress.com/2013/05/19/models-of-magick-part-ii-what-are-the-advantages-and-disadvantages-of-each-model-of-magick/

Scroll down to where you see the psychological model. That's what I believe. The Hat-man and the like are just phantoms of the minds eye. Imagination.

Then there definitely is something wrong with you when your mind plays tricks on you. For me... I saw this with the lights on, looking at it, it coming down the stares,... me leaning back on my chair, throwing bad words the whole time. Till it gets to the bottom of the stairs where it disappears right in front of my eyes. No drinking, not sleeping, and no drugs. So go and explain that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nico vd W said:

Then there definitely is something wrong with you when your mind plays tricks on you. For me... I saw this with the lights on, looking at it, it coming down the stares,... me leaning back on my chair, throwing bad words the whole time. Till it gets to the bottom of the stairs where it disappears right in front of my eyes. No drinking, not sleeping, and no drugs. So go and explain that.

Everyone's mind plays tricks on them. People who practice magick just figure out how to manipulate the tricks to work for them. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Nico vd W said:

Maybe I missed but did you do your story on here?

I dunno.  I've done so before.  I have seen "shadow people" when I was a child.  Once I realized what was going on, I no longer saw them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia

• Like 3

To go a bit deeper into what a shadow person or hatman is, they are thought-forms. Basically idea's on steroids. Sometimes the seeds of these ideas are planted when we are young (like the boogie-man), or they develop through interests. The more you feed these ideas through association they stronger they will get. You start to ignore the idea and they soon vanish, only occasionally popping into consciousness. They can also manifest through night terrors, insomnia, and/or hypnogogic and hypnapompic hallucinations. Depends on mental state you're in they can even appear while away. Depends on how focused or unfocused you are. 

• Like 5

saw one when I was 5ish. but I think it was just paranoia and fear. I was young and was taught lots of superstitious crap.... As I'm older I haven't seen anything since. I am also my own person, and have excluded lots of superstition out of my life.

• Like 2

Not a believer so let me get that out of the way BUT I do have a story some of you may think is "cool". It was the summer of 2013 in Florida and I had to live with my mom for a short time after she had a major surgery in order to help out. During this time, she kept talking about seeing and hearing things. One day, she told me she saw a tall man standing near the door wearing a hat. At this point, I had never heard of "Hatman" and knew that she, being a ridged believer in ghosts, probably saw something odd to her but I knew it wasn't paranormal.

Soon after, I began dating a girl named Heather and brought her over to stay the night with me in the living room in late June of that year. In the middle of the night, Heather got startled by something she said she had seen. Her fear was palpable. I turned on the lights and her eyes were as big as saucers and she was legit terrified. She said she saw a tall man wearing a hat.

When this happened, she had barely even talked to my mom and had no idea my mom claimed to have seen the same thing. I was around the whole time before Heather's experience while she met my mom and that subject was never brought up.

Weird. I'm still a sceptic but I won't forget that.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

i think that i have a shadow person in my bedroom as i have seen a tall black featureless man in my room multiple times, even moving or breaking things in my room, ill share two, one night i was in my room and behind my closed wardrobe door i heard my clothes on hangars shaking around as if in a thunderstorm, i opened the door to see nothing out the ordinary, later that night i saw a tall dark figure standing next to my wardrobe, like a 3d shadow, i woke up to my wardrobe door open and all my school shirts on the floor around my room in a vauge diamond shape (i don't know if this is relevant) the second one I'm sharing is i was laying in bed on my phone and the same tall black figure seemed to just appear in my room or enter though a invisible door and it threw my lava lamp out of my window, as it left though this invisible door or into thin air i felt paralysed as it stopped and starred at me for a few seconds, this was not a dream as i had to run downstairs and retrieve my lava lamp from the bush under my window the next morning. I'm hearing noised as if two things are colliding every minute or so as i write this.

2 hours ago, 932 said:

i should probably mention i am 15 and these happened recently

Puberty sucks...LOL!

Set up a nanny cam to end these events.

• Like 1

I saw shadow man but. no hat. He was peering over as if observing around me to see what I was doing, as I stared with this wtf am I looking at expression, he stood up, turned around and walked around the banister then down the stairs. The curious thing I have regarding hallucinations is the known fact that you cannot hallucinate in 3 dimensions like that so seeing one turn around without alteration in size, shape...etc is quite fascinating indeed.

Whatever it was, I think he was the one that opened the door for me when I exited my bedroom one morning. Like it flung open wide and immediately stopped just as I was about to grab the handle. Quite considerate of him, after observing around the door expecting someone to be there, I did say thank you. Never happened since though, probably got bored of watching me get on the laptop and read the internet every night I get home from work. lol

I've often seen shadow type people but never the hatman, though i do see a different entity that is a tall  manlike figure but doesnt wear a hat 

what I see a most  of is humanlike figures,  usually they are on the walls or ceilings, I don't get good look as when I notice them and try to look properly they seem to notice me looking and seem almost in shock ive seen them and they seem to start to  scurry away extremely quickly for a split second before vanishing

.... its always dark or gloomy when i see them (though definitely not my imagination)  and there's no pattern to when i will see them, sometimes its regular for a week or so then i maybe don't see them for long time .......because its literally a second or so that i am able to see them, the best i can describe them is they are human shape, really boney, almost like emaciated, they have longer arms and legs than normal person would have, they seem a sickly white or grey colour and also i get the impression their skin is dirty too as i can see darker patches but its all random, not markings or pattern etc (but like i said its always gloomy when i spot them) i can't see the features of the faces properly, deep dark holes where the eyes would be mainly, normally they seem naked but occasionally i've seen one with what looked just like my long winter coat on, that was probably the scariest time ive seen them as it was so close to me when i looked up and saw it and it glared at me which made me totally freeze and in a split second it started to scurry quickly away and vanished.....  they move kinda like insect type movements or a seriously double jointed person ....basically a scurrying scuttling movement

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Shaide said:

I've often seen shadow type people but never the hatman, though i do see a different entity that is a tall  manlike figure but doesnt wear a hat 

what I see a most  of is humanlike figures,  usually they are on the walls or ceilings, I don't get good look as when I notice them and try to look properly they seem to notice me looking and seem almost in shock ive seen them and they seem to start to  scurry away extremely quickly for a split second before vanishing

.... its always dark or gloomy when i see them (though definitely not my imagination)  and there's no pattern to when i will see them, sometimes its regular for a week or so then i maybe don't see them for long time .......because its literally a second or so that i am able to see them, the best i can describe them is they are human shape, really boney, almost like emaciated, they have longer arms and legs than normal person would have, they seem a sickly white or grey colour and also i get the impression their skin is dirty too as i can see darker patches but its all random, not markings or pattern etc (but like i said its always gloomy when i spot them) i can't see the features of the faces properly, deep dark holes where the eyes would be mainly, normally they seem naked but occasionally i've seen one with what looked just like my long winter coat on, that was probably the scariest time ive seen them as it was so close to me when i looked up and saw it and it glared at me which made me totally freeze and in a split second it started to scurry quickly away and vanished.....  they move kinda like insect type movements or a seriously double jointed person ....basically a scurrying scuttling movement

I've heard many people talk about seeing a shadow with a trench coat on. Often even the hat man has a trench coat. I find it amazing how people have described seeing the same exact shadow people. As well as many other entities that are described exactly the same such as the old hag.