Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 63
Lucky7

Those Who've Seen the Hatman/Shadow People

1,750 posts in this topic

On 3/5/2017 at 9:52 PM, Pop It and Shove It said:

 

Listen if it was a one-off thing that happened a long time ago, don't worry about it. I've seen dozens of "shadow people" since I can remember and rarely if ever have I had good vibes or experiences off of them.

I'm definitely not worried about it. This happened over 50 years ago. ONCE. I have posted on this thread because I wrote that experience off as being unexplainable, probably something I imagined. Then I was watching the show Ghost Hunters (years ago now) and eventually logged on to their website/forum and was very surprised to read one particular posters account in a shadow person thread that could have been me. It was exactly the same as my experience. Same age range, same description, same impression of the incident. Since then, I have read a few other people's experience that was a very close match to what I experienced.  That is when I learned that the "hat man" was a world wide phenomena. I actually just stumbled across the youtube video I posted the other night and was surprised to hear this woman give a very similar account. That brought me back to this thread. (I occasionally watched that show too, but didn't see this episode.) Most of the posts in this very long subject thread are not something I can relate to, as they are not similar to what I experienced. What is very interesting to me, is that there are people that can describe the exact same experience that I had. That would be the "hat man", and not random shadow people. Makes you want to go hmmmmmm.

 

Edited by Murlin54

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know how you feel i have seen shadow people 4 times in my life.    And they are not to be messed with the ones i seen are total black couldn't see threw them and just the blackest black i ever seen. Everyone of them i got bad vibes from.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2017 at 2:59 PM, Podo said:

No you don't. You know that you saw something you can't explain, that's all. You've filled in the blanks with what you want, with no evidence to back it up. I don't doubt that you saw a shadowy, human-shaped figure, since I saw one myself. But you don't know anything beyond that; anything else, any mystical explanation for what it was that cannot be proven, is conjecture at best. Conversely, we know that pareidolia is a thing, as well as sleep paralysis--rational explanations exist for why and how a human could see a human-shaped shadow. You just don't like them, so you're tossing them out. You're allowing belief to override your ability to look at your experience rationally. Which is fine, I guess, if that's what works for you. But don't expect others to take you seriously if all you want is a confirmation-bias-filled echo chamber. 

I been seeing the same shadow man all my life, and I feel like he is an evil presence in my life. Three years ago I woke up from a nightmare and told this demon, he had no power over my life. Two months later my Son killed him self. I always had really bad luck in my life, I been molested, raped twice, my first son came up missing when he was a baby, I had cancer twice and now my other son is gone.  This thing is a demon and now he can't hurt me anymore, I lost everything I loved. Be careful!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sylviakail said:

I been seeing the same shadow man all my life, and I feel like he is an evil presence in my life. Three years ago I woke up from a nightmare and told this demon, he had no power over my life. Two months later my Son killed him self. I always had really bad luck in my life, I been molested, raped twice, my first son came up missing when he was a baby, I had cancer twice and now my other son is gone.  This thing is a demon and now he can't hurt me anymore, I lost everything I loved. Be careful!!!

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/hzEau 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I frequently have sleep paralysis, but the only two times I had hallucinations was 1) seeing a little creature made up of bubbles and crab legs crawling up my chest (that was fun!) 2) having the weird sensation of being a thousand year old, decayed mummy(that wasn't)

The only time in my life I have seen Shadowpeople is once at Uni when I stayed up during almost my entire week of finals and then it was only in the corner of my eyes, so I'm pretty sure they were hallucinations. 

But anyway, I have this question, that doesn't intend to be disrespectful or belittling, it's just weird and I'm bored while riding a train to work. 

So, assuming Shadowpeople and the Hatman are real;

A frequent theory seems to be that the Shadowpeople/Hatman feeds of fear. What would happen if a person they visit instead experienced positive emotions from their presence? Has that ever happened?

Because some of the descriptions and sketches of them...sound/look kind of hot... (I mean a tall, dark, mysterious stranger...that's usually how a... different kind of dream starts with me...)

So assuming assuming this shadow creature was standing at my bedside and instead of being terrified, I'd get aroused (or, to keep it more PG, laugh because I think it's funny)... would that have any influence on the whole encounter? Would that positive reaction harm them? Would they just leave because there's no fear to feed on? Would that put me in more danger than a person who is terrified of them? Is that maybe a reason I've never seen any, they know they can't get any tasty fear from me(so basically an instance of being "too kinky for torture")?

Again, I really don't mean any disrespect, I don't mean to make fun of the phenomenon, I'm just really curious if such an encounter had ever taken place and if it had influence on the shadow people...

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

So I frequently have sleep paralysis, but the only two times I had hallucinations was 1) seeing a little creature made up of bubbles and crab legs crawling up my chest (that was fun!) 2) having the weird sensation of being a thousand year old, decayed mummy(that wasn't)

The only time in my life I have seen Shadowpeople is once at Uni when I stayed up during almost my entire week of finals and then it was only in the corner of my eyes, so I'm pretty sure they were hallucinations. 

But anyway, I have this question, that doesn't intend to be disrespectful or belittling, it's just weird and I'm bored while riding a train to work. 

So, assuming Shadowpeople and the Hatman are real;

A frequent theory seems to be that the Shadowpeople/Hatman feeds of fear. What would happen if a person they visit instead experienced positive emotions from their presence? Has that ever happened?

Because some of the descriptions and sketches of them...sound/look kind of hot... (I mean a tall, dark, mysterious stranger...that's usually how a... different kind of dream starts with me...)

So assuming assuming this shadow creature was standing at my bedside and instead of being terrified, I'd get aroused (or, to keep it more PG, laugh because I think it's funny)... would that have any influence on the whole encounter? Would that positive reaction harm them? Would they just leave because there's no fear to feed on? Would that put me in more danger than a person who is terrified of them? Is that maybe a reason I've never seen any, they know they can't get any tasty fear from me(so basically an instance of being "too kinky for torture")?

Again, I really don't mean any disrespect, I don't mean to make fun of the phenomenon, I'm just really curious if such an encounter had ever taken place and if it had influence on the shadow people...

Interesting thought. I only saw the hatman once when I was a kid and I've often wondered if the fact that I wasn't overly frightened could be a factor in why it never happened again. I have read the theory of them feeding off of fear, etc. but I was not overly fearful. No red eyes! I just pondered why was a man in a hat standing next to my bed. I first thought it must have been a visitor and my parent's told him he could look in on me but that I was sleeping. I also thought the hat was like a cowboy hat and I was a fan of cowboy movies. Peering through slitted eyes (so hopefully the hatman would not be aware that I was looking back at him), I did start to get a little scared but I just laid very still and must have fallen back asleep. Due to my young age, the sexual component was not applicable. I think most people are generally startled if they wake up to someone standing by their bedside. I know when my son used to come to our bedroom at night and wake me gently, standing next to the bed it would startle the hell out of me. lol  That makes me think that maybe I was in sleep paralysis during the hat man visit or just very sleepy because I remember opening my eyes, seeing him and then narrowing my eyes into slits so I could observe. Now, that doesn't seem like paralysis, but I was on my back and did not move but just observed him. He was looking down at me but not moving at all. I didn't call out for my parent's or anything but just stayed very still, in effect ignoring that I knew he was there. This does make me wonder if I was just too boring for him to bother showing up again. I have read of people having my exact experience and not feeling threatened but I don't recall if they said it was a one off incident. Only as an adult did I learn this was a worldwide phenomena.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was 12, always had dreams and wake up seeing shadows. But this one night I wake to seeing a tall shadow and seems to have worn a hat. I ran out of my room and put back door scared as hell. In my pj's I am hiding in neighbors bushes till I saw my dad come out with flashlight in hand. Next day he rips all my posters out of my room. That's wasn't no poster I know what I saw!  

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s funny how time works. I think I saw Hatman 20 years ago but didn’t know it might have been him until a few days ago. It was listening to a podcast which rekindled a long-forgotten memory. The particular episode was about shadow people which, in general, didn’t spark any memories for me. However, it was one type of shadow person they began talking about in particular, Hatman, which caused me to do a double take while listening.

Rewinding to the spring of 1997, I was a freshman at Rutgers University in New Brunswick. My dorm room was located on the third floor of the rather drab-looking Clothier Hall. It was early, with the faint blue light of morning just beginning to seep through the crack between the window and the curtain. It might have been the weekend because I recall my roommate had gone home and was not there that morning.

I opened my eyes, and the first thing I noticed was a figure sitting next to my bed no more than three or four feet away. The beds in the dorms were set lower to the ground than a typical bed would have been, so I had a clear line of sight - and it’s a sight I’ll now never forget. The figure was sitting on the floor with his back up against the bed. His feet were flat on the floor with his knees pointing straight up. His arms were resting on his knees casually and he appeared to be looking slightly down. I couldn’t make out the details of any clothing, all I saw was a deep black body. But the feature that was most dominant, and why I’m referring to the figure as a “he”, was the wide-brimmed hat he was wearing. I could not make out a face, mostly because the brim of the hat was obscuring it from the side. I blinked hard a couple of times to ensure my eyes were clear, but he was still there after I did.

“Hello?!” I said in an aggressive tone, trying to convey that I was clearly unhappy with a stranger intruding in my room. After a second or two, but what felt like a minute or two, the figure slowly faded away, the spot where he was sitting visibly lightening as he did. At the time, it was weird because before that I had never had a groggy dream-like vision which I knew some people had when they woke up in the morning or in the middle of the night. Twenty years later, and I still have not had any drowsy visions. That morning was the only time I have ever experienced anything like that.

Even though it was a one-time occurrence, it was obvious to me that, for whatever reason, my brain had indeed conjured up an early-morning foggy illusion, and I didn’t think about it nearly at all for the next two decades. But a couple of days ago, more or less exactly 20 years after that morning, I learned about the ghostly entity known as Hatman. Upon hearing the first description while listening to that podcast, I immediately thought of the shadowlike figure I had seen that morning in my dorm room at Rutgers. The parallels with dozens of accounts were there. The figure I had seen had that large-brimmed hat, was darker than the darkest black, and was spotted near my bed. What’s the probability that my subconscious decided to create such an image twenty years before I even knew an almost identical being existed in the paranormal world? That memory, which has basically lain dormant for the past 20 years, has now taken on a whole new level of eeriness for me. 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SicilianCyclops,  Really interesting account. First time I've ever heard of the Hat Man being seated, but sure does sound like the Hat Man. Wow. Freaky. I agree it is a strange thing to find that what you wrote off to a figment of your imagination has suddenly been revealed to you as a worldwide phenomena. Thanks for sharing your interesting encounter.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Murlin54 said:

SicilianCyclops,  Really interesting account. First time I've ever heard of the Hat Man being seated, but sure does sound like the Hat Man. Wow. Freaky. I agree it is a strange thing to find that what you wrote off to a figment of your imagination has suddenly been revealed to you as a worldwide phenomena. Thanks for sharing your interesting encounter.

I don't believe it was here, but the other day I read two accounts in which the witnesses also saw him sitting. One of them was on a bench in a backyard. When I saw him, it seemed to me that he had been there for a while, almost like he made himself comfortable while waiting for me to wake up. Startling to say the least. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For what it's worth, this is a drawing I did of the figure I saw and the exact way he was sitting against the bed. Sorry if it's not great, I had to resize it to make it fit here. 

2017-06-25 16.56.21.jpg

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes! That's what I saw as a kid! I would see it out a window in my kitchen at night, so I would crawl on the floor, under the window sill, so he wouldn't see when I would get thirsty at night.

On 6/25/2017 at 5:07 PM, SicilianCyclops said:

For what it's worth, this is a drawing I did of the figure I saw and the exact way he was sitting against the bed. Sorry if it's not great, I had to resize it to make it fit here. 

2017-06-25 16.56.21.jpg

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2011 at 2:31 AM, Disembodied Voice said:

"The Hat Man’s gear consists of what can be described as him wearing a long-black trench coat, three-piece suit, white collared shirt, and a flat rimmed gaucho hat. Some have even reported seeing a gold watch hanging on his side on a chain. Some people describe seeing red eyes, others see solid black eyes if they see any eyes at all under the shadow of his hat."

READ MORE HERE

why is it when I push the "READ MORE HERE" it takes me to a "jesusisnojoke" ad? Not cool...

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FB_IMG_1512521480275.jpg.f1399ff1aa7eb1dcdba967a841e866cc.jpgMorisset ward 21 for the criminally insane 

Hi guys this is a photo I recently took it was just on dark the light you see is a spotlight held by myself as I took the photo if you look at the light it is heavily distorted and forms a cross like symbol as well as illuminating a cross on the bars themselves, I didn't see it at but in the lower right hand corner you see the shadowy figure of the hat man it has opened my eyes I tell u when you zoom in on the face the features become more defined especially in a dark environment I would love some comments on my photo and what I have captured oh and zoom in on the writing on the wall there is also another figure in the shadow on left of picture can't wait to hear back from you

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Coco202 said:

Hi guys this is a photo I recently took it was just on dark the light you see is a spotlight held by myself as I took the photo if you look at the light it is heavily distorted and forms a cross like symbol as well as illuminating a cross on the bars themselves, I didn't see it at but in the lower right hand corner you see the shadowy figure of the hat man it has opened my eyes I tell u when you zoom in on the face the features become more defined especially in a dark environment I would love some comments on my photo and what I have captured oh and zoom in on the writing on the wall there is also another figure in the shadow on left of picture can't wait to hear back from you

I've always wanted to see the famous hat man. Unfortunately, I still haven't seen him. Can you be more specific on where to look or maybe use an editing tool to circle him or something.

Edited by papageorge1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Certainly will I didn't see him at first either n then I got shivers

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Certainly will I didn't see him at first either n then I got shivers

 

IMG_20171206_144011_141.jpg

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Centre of pic I've got more images of ghosts in other photos I took that night I believe that place has a dark history it's worth a look on YouTube it is very Awakening although in saying I felt extremely calm that night there was no bad energy directed at me anyway lol

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Centre of pic I've got more images of ghosts in other photos I took that night I believe that place has a dark history it's worth a look on YouTube it is very Awakening although in saying I felt extremely calm that night there was no bad energy directed at me anyway lol

IMG_20171206_145305_316.jpg

IMG_20171206_144916_204.jpg

IMG_20171202_053328_951.jpg

FB_IMG_1512521476523.jpg

FB_IMG_1510955587497.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2016 at 7:13 AM, preacherman76 said:

I've heard many people talk about seeing a shadow with a trench coat on. Often even the hat man has a trench coat. I find it amazing how people have described seeing the same exact shadow people. As well as many other entities that are described exactly the same such as the old hag. 

How about my experience where I didn't tell my partner, and then he saw the same thing a night or two later?

There's something to it. We weren't having the exact same hypnagogic hallucination a day or two apart from each other...without the other one first knowing about the experience. 

Something was there to be experienced. Now, the questions are...what is it and where does it come from? 

I think we create the things. They're "inner demons" that somehow become outer ones. And they can be ousted just as easily.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Coco202 said:

Certainly will I didn't see him at first either n then I got shivers

 

IMG_20171206_144011_141.jpg

I'm not trying to dismiss shadow people, but that's probably just some homeless person wondering what you're doing in his squat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No way zoom in I was about 6 ft away from him you tube n watch videos you can see his face clearly especially at night when you look at this picture there was me and one other person there 100percent now I've done my own research on this and if you walk on YouTube there's a Mike Willesee documentary taken back in the 80s when this place was still up and running there's a guy he features throughout this program but if you have a look about the 10 minute mark he is there when he was alive he even has his hat on he was at the facility 54 years eventually passed there I don't know if it was him but that was my initial thoughts after I'd seen the video these photos have been edited and no way 100 what you see this what was taken on my phone see the way the light splinters in the picture if you have a look at the other photos it's the you see in the background I just had a feeling to incorporate the light in the picture I was standing there looking at the window at the time the photo was taken there was no one there and when you zoom in on his face you can see detail imagine how I felt after looking at these photos numerous times to see that it was so obvious but you don't see it straight away it's funny and the little Cross just to the left of his head on the bars I find that pretty awesome

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh and the squat there's only one way in you have to crawl through a hole in the wall Ward 21 was built a few kilometres either side of civilization by the patients that once housed over 1400 people the place that took the most criminally insane other places wouldn't take them imagine the other parts of the facility still run you just get a feeling when you drive in it's surrounded by Bush you get there and there's all these buildings with all these kangaroos that lived there it's a special special place

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

I'm not trying to dismiss shadow people, but that's probably just some homeless person wondering what you're doing in his squat. 

It’s the darkness behind the tree. :tu:

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 63

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.