Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Biggest Bear Ever Found

Still Waters

There's a new titleholder for the biggest, baddest bear ever found.

A prehistoric South American giant short-faced bear tipped the scales at up to 3,500 pounds (1,600 kilograms) and towered at least 11 feet (3.4 meters) standing up, according to a new study.

The previous heavyweight was a North American giant short-faced bear—a related extinct species—that weighed up to 2,500 pounds (1,134 kilograms).The largest bear on record in modern times was a 2,200-pound (998-kilogram) polar bear shot in Alaska in the 19th century.

The South American giant short-faced bear roamed its namesake continent about 500,000 to 2 million years ago and would have been the largest and most powerful meat-eater on land at the time, scientists say.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

• sam12six

• Psukhe

• Still Waters

My wife and I had a 1000 lb+ Grizzly cross the road within about 30 feet of our motorcycles this past summer (in Waterton Park). Could not imagine a bear 3x that :o

Bears are strange critters...

Not only are they strong because of their muscle mass, but the way their muscles are

attached and worked makes them even stronger - sort of a power multiplier... terribly

strong beasties...

Also, most bears can actually run uphill faster than they can downhill.... (forelegs

are shorter than rear legs)...

This South American Bear must have been an absolute terror when ticked off - which

does not take much for a bear....

Bears are strange critters...

Not only are they strong because of their muscle mass, but the way their muscles are

attached and worked makes them even stronger - sort of a power multiplier... terribly

strong beasties...

Also, most bears can actually run uphill faster than they can downhill.... (forelegs

are shorter than rear legs)...

This South American Bear must have been an absolute terror when ticked off - which

does not take much for a bear....

Dwight Shrute?

omg!

i clicked in to see where they found this bear so i could be sure to never go there! i am so afraid of them i could jump right out of my skin.

i must say that i'm glad they're extinct :unsure2: they are, right? :unsure2:

Bear, beets, Battle Star Galactica.

That is ONE large Bear...I have seen Grizzly's while hunting in the NWT, they are just amazing to watch ..They do cover ground quickly.I cannot imagine seeing a 35 hundred pound Bear ? What would they eat<<< a Salmon just would not cut it ,would it...Haaa

I wouldn't want to take the impact from one of those paw swing, that's for certain.

Bears are just creepy. If you've ever watched those nature documentaries where they'll put a camera in a turtle shell or use a tree mounted trail cam, just about every other kind of animal will walk by and ignore it. Bears will stop and investigate. Looking into their eyes, you can practically hear them thinking, "There's just something weird about this turtle shell."

They can also smell food INSIDE cans. I've known people who had a bear break into a cabin and eat all of a certain food and leave the others untouched.

A big bear can kill a moose bear handed (sorry).

You couple all those things with a bear that's twice the size of what we consider a big bear today and that's just nightmare fuel.

Bears are just creepy.

Naw, bears aren't creepy, just one of nature's well-tuned killing machine. It's like the tiger or the shark too, they also both had deadlier ancestors with the sabertooth and the megalodon.

Naw, bears aren't creepy, just one of nature's well-tuned killing machine. It's like the tiger or the shark too, they also both had deadlier ancestors with the sabertooth and the megalodon.

Yeah, but except for tiger cubs, tigers and sharks aren't cute.

If there were a bear species that stood 12" high at the shoulder, everyone would want one for a pet. A bear looks like it could be your buddy until you think about the fact that it is 6X your weight. It's kinda like talking to a serial killer and (just for a second) finding yourself forgetting what he is and thinking he's pretty cool.