Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Don't worry, asteroid won't hit Earth ... oh

sean6

Don't worry, asteroid won't hit Earth ... oh wait!

In 2004, NASA scientists announced that there was a chance that Apophis, an asteroid larger than two football fields, could smash into Earth in 2029. A few additional observations and some number-crunching later, astronomers noted that the chance of the planet-killer hitting Earth in 2029 was nearly zilch.

Now, reports out of Russia say that scientists there estimate Apophis will collide with Earth on April 13, 2036. These reports conflict on the probability of such a doomsday event, but the question remains: How scared should we be?

“Technically, they’re correct, there is a chance in 2036 (that Apophis will hit Earth)," said Donald Yeomans, head of NASA’s Near-Earth Object Program Office. However, that chance is just 1-in-250,000, Yeomans said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41428607/ns/technology_and_science-space/

from this:

The more likely scenario is this: Apophis will make a fairly close approach to Earth in late 2012 and early 2013 :blink:

Edited by sean6

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jesspy

• stevewinn

• danielost

• StarChild 83

NASA should be preparing, say....NOW? :unsure:

According to the apocalypse-oids, we won't be here after 2012, so do we care? :hmm:

well have the technology that time to avoid disaster

Come on NASA and ESA. Lets focus on the asteroids. Its up to you now.

Edited by Evilution13

even if a asteroid was heading towards earth the experts wouldn't tell us anyway. the only way we'd find out is through back garden amateur astronomers.

even if a asteroid was heading towards earth the experts wouldn't tell us anyway. the only way we'd find out is through back garden amateur astronomers.

if the amateurs knew they would tell the government. the government wouldnt tell us to keep us from panic.

Didn't they already destroy Apophis in Stargate SG1???

Haha I love it!!!

Um yes Apophis will be close but the key hole thing and the chance of hitting earth is very low.

Also we maybe focused on Apophis. But there is a big sky out there and I read in a magazine that "the amount of people looking for earth threating asteroids is enough to run a single macdonalds restraunt. i.e about 30. If you were to squeeze all the sky that can be seen from earth on to an A4 piece of paper the amount of sky being looked at with telescopes at any one time is about the siaze of a postage stamp."

Like a cockroach for one Apophis there are probably hundreds more asteroids on earth threating orbits most of these asteroids burn up. But some where out there could be an asteroid that will kill us that we cant see.

Whatever happens with Apophis it will give us a chance to learn for the future.

we'll be living on other planets by then, or in caves.

According to the apocalypse-oids, we won't be here after 2012, so do we care? :hmm:

Considering the sources of the claim, yes, I do care. A lot. :P

it will be a great event.....

a great experience if it will happen......

but is that 2020+?? aaaaaaa... it takes so long then..

Edited by nohands

In 2004, NASA scientists announced that there was a chance that Apophis, an asteroid larger than two football fields, could smash into Earth in 2029. A few additional observations and some number-crunching later, astronomers noted that the chance of the planet-killer hitting Earth in 2029 was nearly zilch.

Now, reports out of Russia say that scientists there estimate Apophis will collide with Earth on April 13, 2036. These reports conflict on the probability of such a doomsday event, but the question remains: How scared should we be?

“Technically, they’re correct, there is a chance in 2036 (that Apophis will hit Earth)," said Donald Yeomans, head of NASA’s Near-Earth Object Program Office. However, that chance is just 1-in-250,000, Yeomans said.

from this:

The more likely scenario is this: Apophis will make a fairly close approach to Earth in late 2012 and early 2013 :blink:

be as scared as you like i guess - not much point in it though. even if it does happen, there is absolutely nothing you or i could do about it.

I would worry about the Sun Frying us First ! Look Up Thats where it all Is !justDONTEATUS :rolleyes:

I really dont know what to say about this because it can put our people in a panic but then again let the NASA and THE GOVERNMENT take care of this problem because as sorry as if sounds it could happen but then again it wont happen so we the people are gonna have to leave up to THE GOVERNMET and NASA.

Given we aren't all dead from Nuclear Warfare, we may be in trouble.

We truly need to invest in protecting our planet from extra-terrestrial objects.

Common' NASA!

I hope it will not hit the earth my grandchildrens are still young then.

Edited by kulas910

• 2 weeks later...

from this:

Maybe not ,but people will blow them selves up to end human kind and all life on earth .

Maybe not ,but people will blow them selves up to end human kind and all life on earth .

Why? The majority of the human race ain't crazy enough to do suicide as a big "Frack You" at the night sky.