Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Use electricity to supercharge our brains?

Still Waters

Are we entering the era of the thinking cap - a device to supercharge our brains?

Could there be a time when everyone from schoolchildren to pensioners, and artists to accountants top up their natural abilities with some funky head-gear?

There have already been suggestions that electricity can boost mathematical talent and now researchers in Australia have found a way to boost problem solving.

The team at Centre for the Mind at the University of Sydney believe people find it difficult to think "outside of the box" because they become blinded by past experience.

So if someone is used to solving a problem one way, the brain struggles to come up with new solutions.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Karlis

• Pierce8

• Still Waters

• d e v i c e

Scientists have shown that zapping the grey matter with a gentle electrical current helps us discard our preconceptions and think outside the box. arrow3.gifRead more...
ABSTRACT > here

Our experiences can blind us. Once we have learned to solve problems by one method, we often have difficulties in generating solutions involving a different kind of insight. Yet there is evidence that people with brain lesions are sometimes more resistant to this so-called mental set effect. This inspired us to investigate whether the mental set effect can be reduced by non-invasive brain stimulation. ... *Snip* ...

Could they test it on french people they could start thinking a little instead of misbehaving all the time?

It will be interesting to see if this works. Could end up being just another way for the "Rich" to get an advantage the "Poor" don't have.

Cool gadget if it really works. But I'd be more interested if Psyche Cap ever develop. I am needing of my dormant ESP to win lottery, or know what other think of me, like if they like me or want to have s_x with me.. that will be awesome!