Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Suggesting A Protocol For Calling ET

Persia

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• arenee

• Paxus

• Lilly

• booNyzarC

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From the article, "Dimitra Atri, the lead author on the paper, writes that the problem is that all of these messages, especially the last one, depend on being picked up by some creature that shares human senses. For example, a photographic message would make no sense to a creature without eyes."

Don't ya love how they refer to possible aliens 'creatures'?

It's no wonder they haven't dropped by for tea!

We are rude!

From the article, "Dimitra Atri, the lead author on the paper, writes that the problem is that all of these messages, especially the last one, depend on being picked up by some creature that shares human senses. For example, a photographic message would make no sense to a creature without eyes."

We are rude!

That's what I call my son!!!

But it makes sense that we'd have to do that...anyone out there have any ideas??

I'm only interested in meeting humanoid aliens so this whole discussion is moot for me ;)

I'm only interested in meeting humanoid aliens so this whole discussion is moot for me ;)

Why only humanoids?

Why only humanoids?

Because I don't think a ball of slime that can't talk to me would be interesting for more than a few minutes...

Because I don't think a ball of slime that can't talk to me would be interesting for more than a few minutes...

In Star Trek (which I know you're a fan) they have beings which aren't humanoid that can communicate..what about those? Not all men aliens are slime... :w00t:

Edited by arenee

In Star Trek (which I know you're a fan) they have beings which aren't humanoid that can communicate..what about those? Not all men aliens are slime... :w00t:

As soon as I posted the previous message I regretted it because I knew you were going to say that!

Ok, obviously there are some exceptions - the reason I said (too hastily) only humanoids is because of what was written in the article about communicating with aliens - for example why send writing when an alien might not have eyes....

Basically I have little interest in aliens I can't interract with.

If I can interract with them and they are intelligent, then they don't have to be humanoid.

Better? ;)

As soon as I posted the previous message I regretted it because I knew you were going to say that!

Ok, obviously there are some exceptions - the reason I said (too hastily) only humanoids is because of what was written in the article about communicating with aliens - for example why send writing when an alien might not have eyes....

Basically I have little interest in aliens I can't interract with.

If I can interract with them and they are intelligent, then they don't have to be humanoid.

Better? ;)

Indeed it is thank you...and you don't know me..you did not know I was going to say that.

So, who has other suggestions for communicating with "slime" aliens...

I exactly did know you were going to say that! - I almost edited my post before you did but you got to it too quick!

I suggest a form of communication that would work for the most ammount of species would be to rub your DNA on them.

Haven't got any DNA handy? Just pee or sneeze on them.

This way, they can tell what you are like, what you're made of etc etc

I'm sure it is probably the universal 'Hello'

Edited by Paxus

I exactly did know you were going to say that! - I almost edited my post before you did but you got to it too quick!

I suggest a form of communication that would work for the most ammount of species would be to rub your DNA on them.

Haven't got any DNA handy? Just pee or sneeze on them.

This way, they can tell what you are like, what you're made of etc etc

I'm sure it is probably the universal 'Hello'

They didn't ask for our cold and flu virus' Pax, they want our DNA...They might see that as a weapon not a hello...

nu-uh - it would be seen, by most species, as the ultimate sharing. A gift even.

Whatever you can excrete, you simple rub on them.

nu-uh - it would be seen, by most species, as the ultimate sharing. A gift even.

Whatever you can excrete, you simple rub on them.

That's disgusting and hilarious! :rofl:

Well I'm sure it used to be smelling each other's arseholes but nobody liked the smell and so everyone switched to the DNA sharing thing ;)

Well I'm sure it used to be smelling each other's arseholes but nobody liked the smell and so everyone switched to the DNA sharing thing ;)

Too far..does anyone have any real suggestions...

Too far..does anyone have any real suggestions...

well excuuuuse me precious ;)

well excuuuuse me precious ;)

I don't have the ability to sneeze at will love...maybe you do, but I'm sure others share the same affliction as myself. It was an excellent suggestion if given your ability to step up to the plate...maybe we should get one of those kids with really bad allergies who's allergic to everything to be the official spokesperson.

I don't have the ability to sneeze at will love...maybe you do, but I'm sure others share the same affliction as myself. It was an excellent suggestion if given your ability to step up to the plate...maybe we should get one of those kids with really bad allergies who's allergic to everything to be the official spokesperson.

"Uh, earth to Brint, I was making a joke."

Anyway, you already pointed out that we wouldn't want to give our star brothers and sisters any flus, so let's stick to other bodily extretions shall we?

"Uh, earth to Brint, I was making a joke."

Anyway, you already pointed out that we wouldn't want to give our star brothers and sisters any flus, so let's stick to other bodily extretions shall we?

Grrr, see if I try to play along anymore and my name's not Brint...Mr. Zoolander.

Again, though I'll leave that second part up to you. It's hard for girls to do much as far as aim and well the other stuff...uh uh.

Yawn!

By all means of respect, but what a none issue the articles bring up.It is well known that mathematics probably will be the protocol for establishing communications, not images or sound bits. Sending video, sounds bits and text messages was a publicity stunt to raise awareness on Terra Firma. Not to actually communicate with possible civilizations at Gliese.

Sigh.

Cheers,

Badeskov

Yawn!

By all means of respect, but what a none issue the articles bring up.It is well known that mathematics probably will be the protocol for establishing communications, not images or sound bits.

And any attempt at contact being sent our way by ET will most like be math as well.

Scene from "Contact":

Michael Kitz: Your having sent this announcement all over the world may well constitute a breach of national security.

Ellie Arroway: This isn't a person-to-person call. You can't possibly think that a civilization sending this kind of message would intend it just for Americans.

Michael Kitz: I'm saying you might have consulted us; obviously, the contents of this message could be extremely sensitive.

Ellie Arroway: You want to classify prime numbers now?

And any attempt at contact being sent our way by ET will most like be math as well.

Scene from "Contact":

Michael Kitz: Your having sent this announcement all over the world may well constitute a breach of national security.

Ellie Arroway: This isn't a person-to-person call. You can't possibly think that a civilization sending this kind of message would intend it just for Americans.

Michael Kitz: I'm saying you might have consulted us; obviously, the contents of this message could be extremely sensitive.

Ellie Arroway: You want to classify prime numbers now?

How do we convey our math to them though? I mean our 'symbols' for math are not going to be the same as theirs. I just (as much as i love math and am ashamed to admit this) don't know how we would represent our way of math to them??

We are rude!

Aliens are people too!

i've never really grasped this idea that math(s) is the universal language of the universe. Would Aliens use the same numbers as us? How would you be able to communicate with aliens by

algebra? Why should an Alien understand about hypotenuses and triangles any more than I do? If you said to an Alien, "Well, E=MC2, dunnit", might they not just look at you funny? Perhaps it might be the gravest insult in their language.

Edited by 747400