Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mayor Pushing Police To Live In Detroit

acidhead

Mayor Pushing Police To Live In Detroit

February 7, 2011 3:29 PM http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2011/02/07/mayor-pushing-police-to-live-in-detroit/

DETROIT (WWJ) - These brave women and men already work in the city of Detroit — and now, Mayor Dave Bing wants police officers to live in the city as well.

Bing has been vocal about his desire to get police officers to move back into the city, and now he’s taking action by announcing a new incentive plan to get them to live where they work.

Currently, 53 percent of Detroit Police officers commute to work from the suburbs, and Bing says the number is even higher for firefighters.

As part of a pilot program called “Project 14″ Detroit cops and firefighters who live in the suburbs will be offered renovated homes in the city for as little as $1,000.

Mayor Bing said this is one step in a plan to revitalize Detroit.

“Project 14 is one approach that my administration is deploying to take two challenges facing Detroit — public safety and vacant homes — and turn them into an opportunity for neighborhood revitalization,” Mayor Bing said.

“There are steps that we can and must take today to improve the quality of life for our citizens. That’s why I am announcing Project 14 — an initiative designed to encourage Detroit Police officers to live in the communities in which they serve,” Bing said.

The project is targeting homes in Detroit’s Boston-Edison and East English Village communities. Bing says funding for the project will come from neighborhood stabilization funding, HUD and partnerships with local banks and credit unions. No tax dollars will be spent.

In 1999, the state legislature revoked a controversial rule that required Detroit police officers to live in the city.

hmmmmmmmm................. "...no tax dollars will be spent...."

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Silver Thong

• Fluffybunny

• SilverCougar

• acidhead

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Bing says funding for the project will come from neighborhood stabilization funding, HUD and partnerships with local banks and credit unions. No tax dollars will be spent.

:blink: Where does all that money come from? Neighborhood stabilization? HUD? .... Okay...

Don't even get me started on banks, and even credit unions, scamming money from their members. Been there. Done that. We DO pay.

Now, outside of that, I don't see what's wrong with having them living within the city limits. The police here don't HAVE to live inside the city limits, but they do get reimbursed for gas to ride to and from the station to pick their cars up every day. The ones that live in the city bring their cars home. They're also unionized. If they're going to live outside the limits, let THEM pay for the freakin gas.

The Sheriff's Office though, are REQUIRED to live in the county limits, and also required to take their vehicles home.

Here's a thought. Why not make NEW police officers be required to live in the city? Offer incentives to the veterans, but 1000 bucks???? REALLY? Come on now. How about match their current mortgage?

I dunno. Then again, I don't live in Detroit so don't know how dangerous it would be for them and their families.

Edited by Nadia B.

Compared to what houses cost... getting a renovated place for 1000 is a dream. Hells our rent is over a grand a month...

Inner city Detroit needs more people aka law enforcement, fire and EMS. This has no tax dollars included because most homes are vacant and in need of care. It's a desperate move to give homes but not the property. It's a loan really for when the car industry comes back to life. I should buy a few homes on my Visa and see what happens?

If you have ever been to Detroit...it isn't quite the deal you would think it would be. Yeah you get a cheap house, but the cost in ammo alone to protect it would be an offset... :mellow:

If you have ever been to Detroit...it isn't quite the deal you would think it would be. Yeah you get a cheap house, but the cost in ammo alone to protect it would be an offset... :mellow:

If no tax dollars are involved how do these homes get renovated. I would or might be willing to invest in a couple as I do think Detroit has a comeback left. This could be a gem that some are over looking.

PS, no I would not live there.

Edited by The Silver Thong

Ain't cops supplied with guns and ammo? Or do they have to leave all that in their lockers?

*seriously does not know*

But... if enough of the houses hold cops.. it might (wiiishful thinking) lower the crime?

Ain't cops supplied with guns and ammo? Or do they have to leave all that in their lockers?

But... if enough of the houses hold cops.. it might (wiiishful thinking) lower the crime?

Detroit

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=21d_1294215623

I would want to live innercity really no matter being a cop.

Generally you get to take your service weapon home with you and a couple clips of ammo(Not the shotgun or rifle in the car though), but I can't say for sure in this case. As for lowering crime? well, I don't know if I would want to move the wife and kids into a new neighborhood in order to be the new target for the dirtballs that think they already own it(via cans of spray paint).

If no tax dollars are involved how do these homes get renovated. I would or might be willing to invest in a couple as I do think Detroit has a comeback left. This could be a gem that some are over looking.
The only thing I could think of were decent and recently remodeled homes that were lost in the last bit of bank takeovers. I read in a paper here that not too long ago they had auctions for decent homes that were well taken care of and good sized, but there were no people willing to make the minimum bid of 1000.00 for fear of the people in the area.

I also heard plans to raize the empty homes to stop giving druggies and gangs places to live and lower the percentage of vacant homes...